Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs Brand Specific Tech > Axial Brand Scale Rock Crawlers > Axial Wraith

Notices

Thread: Jumping into RC Cars with the Wraith

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-24-2021, 02:00 PM   #1

Default Jumping into RC Cars with the Wraith

i had looked into this years ago when the SCX10 first came on the scene but kept putting it off, same when the SCX10 ii came out. I just saw the new SCX10 iii came out, though that wasn't what sparked my interests.

I hope to get something to play around with my son to get a feel for the space and learn the basics for upgrade. I know I'll get a second one and that upgrades will be happening. I keep leaning towards other models but ultimately like that the Wraith can be modified so readily and its more affordable for a "gateway car." Ultimately we'll do some lightweight crawling/obstacle courses but I know the most fun will be when we can open it up in a field or with piles of dirt.

I'm curious if the Wraith experts of this forum would say its a great starting point (the 1.9) that we can easily tune as we figure out what we enjoy the most. It seems like a great start, but it seems like the Capra and Ryft are both much better... and I'll need to upgrade whatever I get so I can get it as versatile as possible.

Ideally this thing could do 15+ (or 25+) mph speeds but then its smooth enough that I can crawl through over debris as well.
eternus is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 06-24-2021, 02:07 PM   #2
RCC Addict

Default Re: Jumping into RC Cars with the Wraith

Quote:
Originally Posted by eternus View Post
i had looked into this years ago when the SCX10 first came on the scene but kept putting it off, same when the SCX10 ii came out. I just saw the new SCX10 iii came out, though that wasn't what sparked my interests.

I hope to get something to play around with my son to get a feel for the space and learn the basics for upgrade. I know I'll get a second one and that upgrades will be happening. I keep leaning towards other models but ultimately like that the Wraith can be modified so readily and its more affordable for a "gateway car." Ultimately we'll do some lightweight crawling/obstacle courses but I know the most fun will be when we can open it up in a field or with piles of dirt.

I'm curious if the Wraith experts of this forum would say its a great starting point (the 1.9) that we can easily tune as we figure out what we enjoy the most. It seems like a great start, but it seems like the Capra and Ryft are both much better... and I'll need to upgrade whatever I get so I can get it as versatile as possible.

Ideally this thing could do 15+ (or 25+) mph speeds but then its smooth enough that I can crawl through over debris as well.
Check out my thread in here. The 1.9 rig is a blast. My son and I both love ours. And it's basically that SCX10-II you wanted, but with a Wraith cage wrapped around it. Axles are AR44s, geometry is all 10.2, trans is more closely related to the original SCX10/AX10 3 gear unit. Absolutely delightful platform for a trail rig. And no shortage of goodies.

Sent from my SM-S111DL using Tapatalk
89redranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2021, 02:23 PM   #3

Thanks! Every 5th post I see around the internet suggests it's out of date and old tech... but I love that there is so much already done. I keep talking myself up to a Ryft but keep coming back to the Wraith.

Do you have a recommendation for good deals? Or advice on getting the battery/charger that I'll need?

I'll go look up your thread in case you're already answering that there. =oP

Thanks again
Old 06-25-2021, 09:03 AM   #4

Stuff ordered, going with 1 Orange Wraith and we can get familiar now. I think I *might* order the Ryft build kit for myself and that'll be my side project for the next several months.
Old 12-01-2021, 12:55 PM   #5
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by eternus View Post
Thanks! Every 5th post I see around the internet suggests it's out of date and old tech... but I love that there is so much already done. I keep talking myself up to a Ryft but keep coming back to the Wraith.

Do you have a recommendation for good deals? Or advice on getting the battery/charger that I'll need?

I'll go look up your thread in case you're already answering that there. =oP

Thanks again
I was going to say get the Wraith, way more diverse, the ryft only does one thing well, Climb hills! Full throttle bouncer type hills.
lonleycreeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2021, 04:56 PM   #6
Rock Crawler

I think a 2.2 wraith would be more what you're looking for. Something to bash around but still crawl.
DRED805 is offline   Reply With Quote

Jumping into RC Cars with the Wraith - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
The Jumping wraith..aka the Baja Wraith Steelfish Videos! 0 03-20-2013 11:07 AM
Jumping in! ImPosteR Newbie General 5 11-25-2012 09:25 PM
Masher's Wraith jumping and splashing - during the earthquake! MAXXMASHER Axial Wraith 1 08-23-2011 11:15 PM