Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs Brand Specific Tech > Axial Brand Scale Rock Crawlers > Axial Wraith

Notices

Thread: gearing help for castle 1410 3800kv senseored

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-04-2019, 12:10 AM   #1

Default gearing help for castle 1410 3800kv senseored

hey guys before i start i want to say i have searched and read many post but it seems like the answers are all over the place right now im running the stock ratio and its just crazy fast im more into crawling then racing my wraith i have a arma notorious i race but what would you recommend for spur and pinion gearing to crawl and still be able to have the wraith go fast enough to walk in a trail with any help would be great
kushboss is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 06-04-2019, 01:22 AM   #2
RCC Addict

Default Re: gearing help for castle 1410 3800kv senseored

2s or 3s? A 3800kv is going to be pretty quick on 3s no matter how you gear it & if already on 3s I'm not going to suggest going back to 2s, the loss of torque will be undesirable.
Might need to look at swapping to something in the 2200-2400kv range

Wraith or Spawn?
If Wraith (48p-80/20) changing pinion down to 17 is same ratio as Spawn, 48p pinions go down to 12 but that seems excessive & may pose problems with moving the motor in far enough to mesh 15 or 16 would be my guess.
Or could change to Spawn gearing (32p-56/12) gears are tougher & it's a lower ratio. Could go even lower to 32p-56/10 while your at it.
altd896 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2019, 01:23 AM   #3
RCC Addict

With a 3800kv motor, you can gear as low as space allows on the spur/pinion and still likely go running speed. That said, A 9t pinion is about the end of the road there, and a 58t spur (fits in the gear cover and won't interfere with MIP driveshafts) or even up to a 62t will fit with no cover and stock driveshafts. Assuming you had stock 32p gearing of 56/12, going to 58/9 will cut your top speed to roughly 2/3 of what it currently is. It is possible to gear even lower with 48p gears, but my experience has been that tiny pinions = tiny tooth contact, add big power to that and, well, you take your chances.

From there, you could consider underdrive gears, at one or both ends of the truck.

A more complicated/expensive option if you really want to go lower: a 2 speed trans would cut your gearing by roughly half in low, and be even faster than stock in high.

Looking for lower still? Swap in AR44 axles and go from 2.92:1 to 3.75:1

Obviously, switching to a lower kv motor is cheaper than the last 2 options.
TheLetterJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2019, 11:39 PM   #4

i run it on 2s and 3s majority 3s because like you said its a noticeable difference it is a wraith i have upgraded the entire drive train for obvious reasons i for sure was thinking that 32p would be best right now it has 48p 80/20 metal and i still keep breaking pinions also i think my spur gear is warped ? i check my mesh there is no binding but i see it wobble do you have any recommendations for the parts i do have 32p 14t pinion already that will fit what would be a good spur to go with it i just want to make sure i get quality parts instead of having to rebuild it over and over like i have been doing im not looking to gear it down a crazy amount just enough that i have more throttle control and torque to crawl right now it will crawl but its still a "rock racer" i want it to be more a crawler i appreciate the replies i do read and search but i couldn't seem to find a post for the same problem/question i considered the 2 speed trans but im only partial owner me and my dad have 3 trucks that we own and bought together and he doesent want the 2 speed so finally when the pinion broke again i talked him into gearing it down im i able to use any 1/10 scale 32p 56t spur gear or does it need to be specific to the wraith ?

Last edited by kushboss; 06-04-2019 at 11:43 PM.
Old 06-05-2019, 08:53 AM   #5
I wanna be Dave

58/10 Spur/Pinion in 32p is my recomendation for a fast Wraith. Yes you need the Axial spur but you can use any Pinion that will mount on the motor.

You will still have plenty of top speed to launch the Wraith off stuff but the low speed control will be much better.
lonleycreeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2019, 08:18 PM   #6

so with that 58/10 it will be slower then the stock ratio and better for crawling because i dont really care about it being fast i dont think i can gear it down enoiugh to make it slow i just want to have more control and torque bottom end it does crawl right now just not as good as it could do you have a recommendation for the actualy parts like a brand or site to by from?
Old 06-05-2019, 08:23 PM   #7

will a yeti spur gear work on a wraith ?
Old 06-05-2019, 10:02 PM   #8
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by kushboss View Post
will a yeti spur gear work on a wraith ?
Yeit spur would work on a Spawn but not on a Wraith (different slipper &top shaft arrangement)

You can use any 32p 56 or 58t spur that has 3 holes that match the slipper hub. There used to be a Duratrax/Kimbrough plastic that was good but they seem very limited now or theres Robinson or HR in steel but you'll have to run hardened steel pinion as well.
https://www.amainhobbies.com/search?s=32p%20spur
altd896 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2019, 07:38 PM   #9

thanks a lot for the help i actually made my own slipper eliminator i will upload a picture tomorrow i have a steel spur and it came with a thing to put the slipper pad on and then slid it on the shaft and it has a notch for a pin holder well it just so happened that there were holes in the peice that matched my spur gear so i took the pad out mounted the two pieces together so now the spur is essentally mounted to the shaft i just am careful if i ever get hung up i dont give it thottle because of the set up but it made my wraith have much more power to the wheels like atleast a third more then before
Old 06-10-2019, 04:39 PM   #10
I wanna be Dave

I run 32p 56T spur and 10T pinion with HH3500kv PP thru HH BLE. Also run under drive in the rear. I find it to be the perfect combination for controlled, low speed crawling, but still plenty of giddy-up.
mewalsh100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2019, 08:00 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by mewalsh100 View Post
I run 32p 56T spur and 10T pinion with HH3500kv PP thru HH BLE. Also run under drive in the rear. I find it to be the perfect combination for controlled, low speed crawling, but still plenty of giddy-up.
thanks for writing this your set up is similar to mine so reading that 32p 56/10 worked good for you makes me more confident I just bought a 32p 58t Robinson racing spur after I read your reply I already have a pinion set that goes for 9-18 so I'm going to mess around with those and see what is best for me I think 9 will be a tad low so I'm going to start with 10 will post results when I get the spur also I just switched over to a full steel chassis that I bought for 70 Canadian on eBay it came with lights and aluminum panels also a roof rack and truthfully it is WELL worth every penny my only regret is that I didn't do it sooner their is absolutely no flex in my frame now so my suspension gets to do its job also the one I bought the positioning of the upper shock mounts made me gain a little over half inch of clearance without giving me any noticeable amount of cog problems I will post pictures soon I highly recommend this upgrade two other big bonuses it gave my set up is my drive shaft angle is not as steep now although it was never a issue still less is better and the shock angle is way way better very impressed it has a winch mount to on the front if thats your thing just a warning the one I bought is 1.5 inches smaller width wise but I like it

Tags
advice, castle 1410, gearing, spur

gearing help for castle 1410 3800kv senseored - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Gearing Suggestions Mamba / Castle 1410 3800kv Trail Rated CJ Axial RR10 Bomber 8 10-26-2017 09:04 AM