RCCrawler Forums

RCCrawler Forums (http://www.rccrawler.com/forum/)
-   Axial Wraith (http://www.rccrawler.com/forum/axial-wraith/)
-   -   I Need a New Motor. Suggestions? (http://www.rccrawler.com/forum/axial-wraith/609523-i-need-new-motor-suggestions.html)

MaX-D 06-17-2019 01:26 PM

I Need a New Motor. Suggestions?

I currently have a Tekin Pro4 4600 KV motor with a Mamba Max Pro ESC. The motor bit the Dust. The motor came with the truck when I got it used. A year ago I converted my Wraith to a monster truck using the strc aluminum chassis. The chassis is still on the truck, but is setup pretty much like a stock Wraith with the electronics and Battery placement being a little different.

I want to throw my crawler tires back on the truck and take it to my local crawling spot. I'm going to leave the chassis on the truck for now. I was thinking something in the 3200 to 3600 KV range as I run the truck on 3s. I don't want Tekin as I don't want to spend that kind of money on a motor. I would like to keep the price under $100. I was thinking perhaps hobbywing.

I also had another thought, I have a couple of Traxxas Titan 21t Motors laying around. I could get the hobbywing quicrun wp 1080 ESC and throw that in the truck with the Titan on 3s. What would be a better setup? I will not be driving my truck in any type of water if that helps.

Any suggestions?

Oxide80 06-17-2019 08:15 PM

Re: I Need a New Motor. Suggestions?

My 12 year old son runs a Holmes 21t Sport in his Wraith with 0 issues do far, he has 12 miles of trails/crawling on it

svt923 06-18-2019 05:54 AM

Brushless motor under $100?

Easily the Holmes Puller Pro.

It's tuned for maximum low speed control and crams 550 motor power into a 540 can. With the recent price drop, the regular sized version can be had for $95 or less (stubby version is even less but has power similar to the Pro4 in a smaller can).

As for what brushless motor I would choose if price was not a concern:

Also the Holmes Puller Pro. :mrgreen:

JC3 06-18-2019 07:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by svt923 (Post 5943832)
Brushless motor under $100?

Easily the Holmes Puller Pro.

It's tuned for maximum low speed control and crams 550 motor power into a 540 can. With the recent price drop, the regular sized version can be had for $95 or less (stubby version is even less but has power similar to the Pro4 in a smaller can).

As for what brushless motor I would choose if price was not a concern:

Also the Holmes Puller Pro. :mrgreen:

100% agree! This motor in either 2200 or 2700 is incredible. I went from a Castle 3800 on a MambaX to a PP 2700 on the MambaX and all I can say is wow, what an amazing difference. Smooth as silk on the low end and plenty of power for any crawlling challenge.

MaX-D 06-18-2019 08:25 AM

Thank you all for your replies. I will go with the Puller Pro 2700 KV.

MaX-D 06-18-2019 09:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Oxide80 (Post 5943768)
My 12 year old son runs a Holmes 21t Sport in his Wraith with 0 issues do far, he has 12 miles of trails/crawling on it

Just out of curiosity, how well does this motor crawl? My 12 year old son has the stock Electronics in his Wraith and I would like to upgrade his. Thanks.

MaX-D 06-18-2019 11:35 AM

Would this motor work for crawling in The Wraith?

https://www.hobbyrecreationproducts....sd-g2-sensored

TheLetterJ 06-18-2019 01:07 PM

The Trailmaster Sport 550 21t crawls very well actually. I have a 21t in one Wraith, 21t in a Gmade BOM, 27t in a Sawback, and had a 27t in my other Wraith (currently has 1800kv Revolver, but I have a 2700kv Puller Pro on the way for it.) So long as you're running 3s, and you're geared low-ish, the 21t is the best balance of torque and speed you're going to find without going brushless. A 21t 550 is roughly the same speed as a 27t 540, and a 27t 550 is roughly the same speed as a 35t 540... just with 1/3-1/2 MORE torque. You'll just need to take a tiny amount of material out of the right/rear/upper link mount to clear the longer can.

I don't have experience with that exact Hobbywing motor, but I did previously have their 3400kv SCT Pro sensored motor/esc. I was not impressed with it's "smoothness", or lack thereof, on startup, and the power was pretty weak compared to most other brushless setups I'd run. I actually switched back to brushed after finally getting sick of it. I'd much rather have a decent brushed setup than a so-so brushless. If you're shopping for a new motor and esc and don't want to spend a ton, 550 27t Trailmaster Sport with a Hobbywing 880 (the 1080's big brother) on 4s will make enough power that you'll likely never look at brushless. If sticking with 3s, go with the 21t and a WP1080.

As much as I do love the way the Revolver drives (after spending some time tuning the Mamba Micro X esc) and the power it makes, the noise has finally worn me out (I run just about every day on my sizeable home course.) I was able to notice extremely minor cogging on startup (still smoother than the sensored Hobbywing) but after gearing waaaay down, it's been virtually eliminated. Seeing how I often run in group settings, or at night in my yard, the noise alone prompted the order of the 2700kv Puller Pro Stubby (that's at the absolute limit of what the Micro X can run.) It hasn't arrived yet, but if it's as smooth (hopefully smoother!) as the Revolver with more power than any brushed setup, I'll be a happy man. If you're going brushless, go straight to a Mamba X and a standard size Puller Pro and you'll have no regrets.

Oxide80 06-18-2019 02:52 PM

It crawls very well, hes running a HW1060 esc on 2s, better than my Bomber running Castle 1515 on 4s! He did need to notch the right lower control arm mount to get the 550 size can to fit, nothing structual just extra material in the way.

fullwidthtoy 06-21-2019 09:23 PM

Tekin pro4 3300.

durok 06-22-2019 03:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MaX-D (Post 5943941)
Would this motor work for crawling in The Wraith?

https://www.hobbyrecreationproducts....sd-g2-sensored

The SCT in that motor's model name stands for Short Course Truck - they are meant for racing on a track.

You're going to have MUCH better results for crawling with a Holmes Hobbies Puller Pro than that HobbyWing.

If you're on a budget, I'd recommend the Holmes Hobbies TrailMaster Pro - it's $10 LESS than the HobbyWing:

https://holmeshobbies.com/motors/bru...ler-motor.html

MaX-D 07-09-2019 06:56 PM

Well..........I found out it wasn't the motor that took a dump, it was the ESC. Motor is fine. So I have one on order.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk