RCCrawler Forums

RCCrawler Forums (http://www.rccrawler.com/forum/)
-   Axial Wraith (http://www.rccrawler.com/forum/axial-wraith/)
-   -   brushed motor suggestions for 8 pound wraith (http://www.rccrawler.com/forum/axial-wraith/609566-brushed-motor-suggestions-8-pound-wraith.html)

kushboss 06-18-2019 07:39 PM

brushed motor suggestions for 8 pound wraith

hey everyone I have read a lot on here but haven't really found anything that relates fully to my set up basically right now I have a censored brushless 3800kv castle motor in my wraith I bought it when I was new to the hobby and wasn't to sure what I wanted but now I know I like crawling with my wraith more then racing I have a arrma outcast to bash around so I am turning the wraith into a crawler/trail walking rig its drivetrain is all upgraded I have a steel chassis aluminum diff housing a 20kg servo which I am upgrading soon vanquish links and steering set up im waiting on a spur it is a 32p 58t and I think im going to run like 10-14t pinion not sure exactly which yet but I need help from someone who is more experienced to help recommend me a powerful brushed motor I know 8LB is heavy so I need something strong let me know what you think or point me in the right direction please I have no problem reading also how to do I upload pictures

kushboss 06-18-2019 07:41 PM

Re: brushed motor suggestions for 8 pound wraith

https://media.textnow.com/?t=eyJ0eXA...9-0cc47a9af140 i just need to put the other body panels on I left them off because im still working on it right now

brian.brigg 06-19-2019 12:08 AM

https://youtu.be/3mnp-NPs5t0

John Holmes told me that the Magnum 540 would work fine in my 8 plus pound TRX-4 though he wouldn't recommend any other 540 length brushed motor. The Magnum is probably as torquey, if not more, as the 550 Crawlmaster series due to the larger diameter of the armature and stronger magnets. He did say that the Crawlmasters are a tiny smidgen smoother but, as he says in the video, the Magnum is his personal favorite brushed motor.

Sent from my LG-H870DS using Tapatalk

kushboss 06-22-2019 08:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by brian.brigg (Post 5944100)
https://youtu.be/3mnp-NPs5t0

John Holmes told me that the Magnum 540 would work fine in my 8 plus pound TRX-4 though he wouldn't recommend any other 540 length brushed motor. The Magnum is probably as torquey, if not more, as the 550 Crawlmaster series due to the larger diameter of the armature and stronger magnets. He did say that the Crawlmasters are a tiny smidgen smoother but, as he says in the video, the Magnum is his personal favorite brushed motor.

hmm interesting im guessing you never ended up trying it yet? either way im going to look into it thanks for the link too

brian.brigg 06-24-2019 01:37 AM

I'm using the Revolver 1800KV and have a 2700KV Puller Pro on the way. The Revolver works great on my rig with a 9T pinion giving smooth starts and gobs of torque. Wheelspeed still seems pretty close to stock.

Been thinking about a brushed motor set-up for a while but if I ordered a near $150 motor right now I would have to get used to sleeping on the sofa since it would cost almost another $100 for shipping and duty here in Indonesia as the customs people hit everything from the US. If Asiatees had the Magnum I would try ordering from them as I've had a couple of around $200 orders from them without any added duty with them shipping from Hong Kong.

JohnRobHolmes 06-24-2019 06:07 AM

Why not stay brushless since you already have a suitable ESC? Puller Pro 2200 or 2700 540 standard size would be money in the wraith. Thats what I developed the Puller Pro for!

normal 540 brushed motors are kinda easy to burn out in the wraith unless it is geared just right, and it wont fit 550s without mods. Because of this, lower cost motors actually can work better because they don't pull as much power to burn themselves out. A TrailMaster Sport 540 in 35 or 27t would be great as long as you increased geardown from stock and don't run 20/80 pinion/ spur.

kushboss 07-19-2019 07:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JohnRobHolmes (Post 5945129)
Why not stay brushless since you already have a suitable ESC? Puller Pro 2200 or 2700 540 standard size would be money in the wraith. Thats what I developed the Puller Pro for!

normal 540 brushed motors are kinda easy to burn out in the wraith unless it is geared just right, and it wont fit 550s without mods. Because of this, lower cost motors actually can work better because they don't pull as much power to burn themselves out. A TrailMaster Sport 540 in 35 or 27t would be great as long as you increased geardown from stock and don't run 20/80 pinion/ spur.

i was under the impression that brushed motors are much better for smooth crawling? thats really the only reason i wanted to make the swtich because right now im happy with the motor i have which is the castle 3800kv sensored but when i bought that motor i wasent really sure what i wanted the truck to be so i got something that would be fast but now that ive gotten a taste of crawling im trying to set the wraith up to be mainly a crawler i actually just switched to 32p gears i got a 56t spur and i just ordered a 9t pinion and if that makes it have more bottom end for crawling i probabaly will stay brushless.. on a side note does anyone know of a rebuild kit for the 3800kv castle 1410 senseored brushless motor?

JohnRobHolmes 07-20-2019 07:57 AM

Brushed is typically smoother, and if you want to go slow it's a great option. My Puller Pros are about the smoothest sensored brushless available though.

ferp420 07-21-2019 07:09 AM

i have had good luck with the mubatchi 775 silver can motors for my wraith enuff torque to spit 10lb rocks and still alittle faster than walking speed the down side.the motor is so big theres almost no adjustment left on the motor i had to remove one of the inner link mounts so one upper is single sheer only i never broke it though its been 4 years now so not a drop in but the power is awsome i have a 58t spur and a 16t pinnion and the gear mesh is good

punkindrublik 07-22-2019 03:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JohnRobHolmes (Post 5945129)
Puller Pro 2200 or 2700 540 standard size would be money in the wraith.

Sold. I wasn't even really looking for a new motor, but I need to upgrade my ESC, so might as well get a new motor at the same time. I should have it this week, can't wait! Thanks for the tip John! "thumbsup"

Iceman29488 08-14-2019 08:30 PM

I have a wraith spawn and was thinking of going to brushed myself. It has a castle senseless motor which with the 2 speed trans has loads of speed but I'm more into crawling myself and it's just not controllable and cogs when crawling. I have a castle sidewinder 3 esc and was told it would work for brushed. I'm still on the fence. Help me off the fence JOHN HOLMES!

Voodoobrew 08-14-2019 08:39 PM

For pure crawling the sidewinder 4 and revolver are great. Or a sidewinder 4 and your current motor might be fine. Alternatively a hobbywing 1080 and a Holmes Hobbies Trailmaster 550 21t would work well, though not as well as a crawlmaster pro 550 10t.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

Voodoobrew 08-14-2019 08:41 PM

The sidewinder 3 is just outdated and lacks much of the features and performance of newer esc's.

Iceman29488 08-14-2019 09:27 PM

I had a 1080 and it was good on 2s but I put 3s to it and it fried in 2 feet. Sent it back and waiting to see what they are going to do. I have some Holmes hobbies 27 turn I never ran. Guess that and the 1080 might be good. What ya think?

Voodoobrew 08-15-2019 09:02 AM

If your 1080 fried on 3s in 2 feet something is wrong. They have been reliable for me on 3s.

JatoTheRipper 08-15-2019 09:38 AM

Yeah you either got a defective 1080 or something is really wrong. They are rock solid ESCs.

In a larger rig like a Bomber, Wraith, etc do yourself and go brushless. It's worth it.

ferp420 08-16-2019 08:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JatoTheRipper (Post 5956435)
Yeah you either got a defective 1080 or something is really wrong. They are rock solid ESCs.

In a larger rig like a Bomber, Wraith, etc do yourself and go brushless. It's worth it.

my 1080 did th3 same thing i replaced it with a cheap chinese esc and never had another problem

also i poped 2 1060s in the last few months first was used alot on 2s went to 3s and pop the second just stoped working for no reason worked fine unpluged it went to run it again and nothing now waiting on more cheap new rain escs

ill never buy another hobbywing esc i have a bucket full of blown hobbywings no more i dont care how many people say there grate there like traxxass products for me i just cant use them

castle is the way to go but not exsacly cheap new rain dont have any features no adjustments but they spin the motor reliably even running 2 motors on 4s dont even mention 4s around a hobbywing it will let the smoke out just cause you hurt its feelings

what i dont understand though is i do have 2 1040s that are holding up great and a 1060 that is many years old and is still going strong i cant figure out why some keep poping and some are going strong

Voodoobrew 08-16-2019 09:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ferp420 (Post 5956627)
my 1080 did th3 same thing i replaced it with a cheap chinese esc and never had another problem

also i poped 2 1060s in the last few months first was used alot on 2s went to 3s and pop the second just stoped working for no reason worked fine unpluged it went to run it again and nothing now waiting on more cheap new rain escs

ill never buy another hobbywing esc i have a bucket full of blown hobbywings no more i dont care how many people say there grate there like traxxass products for me i just cant use them

castle is the way to go but not exsacly cheap new rain dont have any features no adjustments but they spin the motor reliably even running 2 motors on 4s dont even mention 4s around a hobbywing it will let the smoke out just cause you hurt its feelings

what i dont understand though is i do have 2 1040s that are holding up great and a 1060 that is many years old and is still going strong i cant figure out why some keep poping and some are going strong

My hobbywing 1080 just beeps at me saying "wtf man I don't do 4s" then it goes into overvoltage protected mode. Put a 3s in after and works as intended. I have 5 of them been running for at least a year each, 95% of the time on 3s.

Voodoobrew 08-16-2019 09:58 AM

Perhaps you are over gearing them and exceeding the max amperage by turning up the punch on a low turn motor. They are only an 80a esc.

ferp420 08-16-2019 12:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Voodoobrew (Post 5956638)
Perhaps you are over gearing them and exceeding the max amperage by turning up the punch on a low turn motor. They are only an 80a esc.

the last rig to pop a hobbywing runs a 2 speed in to a 2:1 reduction tcase with a 35t 540 can motor on scx10ii axles there is no way it geared too high not possable at best in high gear its still geared lower than a scx10ii

flip side gen 8 with a 17t 550 can motor on 2.2s works fine with the 1040