Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs Brand Specific Tech > Axial Brand Scale Rock Crawlers > Axial Wraith

Notices

Thread: Steel frame

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-04-2019, 06:22 PM   #1

Default Steel frame

Just curious does anyone have a steel frame on their wraith??
I like the idea but I don’t see any where to attach the panels
I have done the fastback mod but I butchered the frame (I used a dremel which melted the plastic frame causing me to have more to clean up, I should have used a saw) however I haven’t purchased the stock links for it yet because the cheapest I’ve found them is $17 Australian. I also want a new front bumper and that is $67 +tax Australian

The links + the bumper comes up to $84 and the frame is only $40.02 with the two mods I want however I’m torn because I see no way of attaching the panels (I also want to be able to put the interior back in)
Here’s the frame I’m looking at

https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Steel-Fr...t/173834942748

Please give me your opinions I’ll take all criticism good or bad

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro
theborderdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 08-04-2019, 07:54 PM   #2

Default Re: Steel frame

i just got a fully metal frame for my wraith and i love it the set i got came with little clips and screws to mount the body it also comes with a roof rack and lights i didnt like the look or idea of having a roof rack ontop of the truck with lights on it because they would break to quick so instead i mounted the roof rack with the lights attached to it upside down on the inside of the truck like under the roof all leave a link to the set i got https://www.ebay.ca/itm/Xtra-Speed-M...72.m2749.l2649 i love it it made my truck crawler much better because my suspension actually gets to do its job now the only thing i dont like about it is that there is not mount in the front of the truck for the little receiver box what i did for mine is i used the old battery tray from my orignal frame and mounted it in the same spot as it comes stock and i just mounted the box there one other thing i really liked about it is that the positioning of the shock mounts on the chassis made it so my truck now has almost a extra half inch of clearance the chassis you posted was the one i was going to buy until i found the set in the link i just didnt like how long the other one was and looking at it i was very skeptial about my 5000 3s fitting in the front i highly recommend this upgrade it is like night and day my truck easyily crawls over things that before were very hard obstacles if you end up getting the chassis you posted let me know how it is
kushboss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2019, 07:59 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by theborderdog View Post
Just curious does anyone have a steel frame on their wraith??
I like the idea but I don’t see any where to attach the panels
I have done the fastback mod but I butchered the frame (I used a dremel which melted the plastic frame causing me to have more to clean up, I should have used a saw) however I haven’t purchased the stock links for it yet because the cheapest I’ve found them is $17 Australian. I also want a new front bumper and that is $67 +tax Australian

The links + the bumper comes up to $84 and the frame is only $40.02 with the two mods I want however I’m torn because I see no way of attaching the panels (I also want to be able to put the interior back in)
Here’s the frame I’m looking at

https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Steel-Fr...t/173834942748

Please give me your opinions I’ll take all criticism good or bad

also if i were you i would check the dimensions of the stock chassis compared to the one your looking at i found 2 chassis simalar style to the one you posted that were considerably smaller then the stock one length and width wise i know for sure that you can re install the interior into the chassis in the link i posted very easily too you can still run your battery upfront too by the way
kushboss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2019, 09:58 PM   #4
RCC Addict

The frame you've picked there builds something along the lines of a Southern Rock Bouncer style rig (not this exact one, just a pic I from Google) rather than replicating the Wraith frame.

The panels & interior could be easily anchored with small P-clips available from electrical hardware, sometimes general hardware & some auto parts stores.

If you've already done the Fast back mod to your Wraith & are looking for that style of chassis something like the replica's for the Bomber might be more in your market

for Axial RR10 #XS-59699, ,(XS-59699) by Xtra Speed V Metal Cage Chassis Black

Wraith cockpit, skid, links etc should all work the same.
Same problem of no panel mounts but P-clips will work exact same.
altd896 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2019, 10:58 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by kushboss View Post
i just got a fully metal frame for my wraith and i love it the set i got came with little clips and screws to mount the body it also comes with a roof rack and lights i didnt like the look or idea of having a roof rack ontop of the truck with lights on it because they would break to quick so instead i mounted the roof rack with the lights attached to it upside down on the inside of the truck like under the roof all leave a link to the set i got https://www.ebay.ca/itm/Xtra-Speed-M...72.m2749.l2649 i love it it made my truck crawler much better because my suspension actually gets to do its job now the only thing i dont like about it is that there is not mount in the front of the truck for the little receiver box what i did for mine is i used the old battery tray from my orignal frame and mounted it in the same spot as it comes stock and i just mounted the box there one other thing i really liked about it is that the positioning of the shock mounts on the chassis made it so my truck now has almost a extra half inch of clearance the chassis you posted was the one i was going to buy until i found the set in the link i just didnt like how long the other one was and looking at it i was very skeptial about my 5000 3s fitting in the front i highly recommend this upgrade it is like night and day my truck easyily crawls over things that before were very hard obstacles if you end up getting the chassis you posted let me know how it is

Thanks for input.... I think I’ll do it

Old 08-04-2019, 11:01 PM   #6

Default Steel frame

Quote:
Originally Posted by kushboss View Post
also if i were you i would check the dimensions of the stock chassis compared to the one your looking at i found 2 chassis simalar style to the one you posted that were considerably smaller then the stock one length and width wise i know for sure that you can re install the interior into the chassis in the link i posted very easily too you can still run your battery upfront too by the way

No need to measure I’m going to get it...as mentioned above P clips will solve my problem with the panels

Last edited by theborderdog; 08-04-2019 at 11:06 PM.
Old 08-04-2019, 11:05 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by altd896 View Post
The frame you've picked there builds something along the lines of a Southern Rock Bouncer style rig (not this exact one, just a pic I from Google) rather than replicating the Wraith frame.

The panels & interior could be easily anchored with small P-clips available from electrical hardware, sometimes general hardware & some auto parts stores.

If you've already done the Fast back mod to your Wraith & are looking for that style of chassis something like the replica's for the Bomber might be more in your market

for Axial RR10 #XS-59699, ,(XS-59699) by Xtra Speed V Metal Cage Chassis Black

Wraith cockpit, skid, links etc should all work the same.

Same problem of no panel mounts but P-clips will work exact same.

Thanks for your input the P clips are a great idea (I didn’t think of them)
The bomber I’m not sure about, I think I want everything to bolt up (hopefully) with no dramas

Old 08-05-2019, 02:08 AM   #8
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by theborderdog View Post
Thanks for your input the P clips are a great idea (I didn’t think of them)
The bomber I’m not sure about, I think I want everything to bolt up (hopefully) with no dramas

Wraith stuff bolts in where Bomber stuff does, skid is slightly different but will still work.
altd896 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2019, 02:12 AM   #9

Ok...I’ll think about it

Old 08-05-2019, 04:52 AM   #10
Rock Crawler

If u get one can u please post pictures? I've been thinking of getting one for a while now.
PileDriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2019, 04:11 PM   #11

Yeah sure I’m only thinking about it won’t be for a while if it happens

Old 08-06-2019, 06:46 PM   #12

Default Steel frame

Well I done it (ordered the cage) but I won’t be able to inform you of it’s performance as I’m in the middle of rebuilding my wraith

I was having trouble with it staying bound to the controller every time I would put the bind plug in the receiver I would lose all power and when I pulled the plug out the power would come back....weird. I’ve been around Rc’s for a while now and never have come across this.

Well that inspired me to do a few mods.

Old 08-06-2019, 09:24 PM   #13
I wanna be Dave

You should read through this thread - a nifty Wraith steel frame bouncer build by mewalsh100 - he used a similar pre-built tube frame:

Wraith based Rock Bouncer
durok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2019, 02:35 AM   #14

Thanks I’ll have a read

Old 08-07-2019, 09:11 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by durok View Post
You should read through this thread - a nifty Wraith steel frame bouncer build by mewalsh100 - he used a similar pre-built tube frame:

Wraith based Rock Bouncer

That was a good read...I’m even happier with my purchase now, because that cage was indentical

Old 08-12-2019, 03:31 AM   #16

Default Steel frame

Received this today
A Lot Better Quality Than I Expected For The Money

Got the interior all sorted out and put the running gear in for a look and discovered I can’t use the wraith interior, the transmission tunnel is totally in wrong spot because I had to take a side of off (complete seat) to make it fit.

Old 08-12-2019, 07:29 AM   #17
I wanna be Dave

i have a wraith and a bomber cage the wraith has about 2 years under its belly and it did pop a few welds but with the falls its taken and as much waight that it has behind it it has held up great
i havent built the bomner yet
i realy like when the cages start getting bent up alittle bit
the only down side i saw was the fact that the cages are justba hair smaller than the originals maybe anhalf inch all the way around and mine had a defect the skid brackets were welded on backwards so i had to modify it as the skid plate was too far back on the chassie
ferp420 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2019, 04:17 PM   #18

I haven’t noticed the skid plate as you mentioned, they are definitely smaller internally too the interior didn’t have a hope in hell of fitting once I mocked up the transmission

Old 08-13-2019, 10:53 PM   #19
I wanna be Dave

I am pretty sure the skid plate was just done wrong on the one i got i fix it though the 2 bomber cages look to be the size of the original wraith as my spawn interior fits realy nice and so dose the spawn body and there isent any problems with ether of the bomber cages that i can tell
ferp420 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2019, 01:14 AM   #20

Cool.... I’ll look into that interior

Steel frame - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Topcad steel frame for wraith? jwall046 Newbie General 5 05-28-2014 11:36 PM