Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs Brand Specific Tech > Axial Brand Scale Rock Crawlers > Axial Wraith

Notices

Thread: New to the Wraith Scene....So Questions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-16-2020, 11:22 PM   #21
Quarry Creeper

Default Re: New to the Wraith Scene....So Questions

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jbtamu1011 View Post

I just don't have a clue why both servos wouldn't turn one way as well as the other. No matter if I buy the cheapest or the most expensive, I don't want it to die either.
I guess the first thing is, which transmitter/receiver do you have? Stock? Or, other? If stock, you should have the TacTic TTX300 transmitter and the TR325 receiver.

The TacTic TTX300 has programming features to set end points. There is a separate manual for the TacTic transmitter and receiver. The manual can be found on the Axial website. Select "Vehicles", then "Wraith", then your "Spawn RTR", then "Instructions", then "Electronics - TacTic TTX300 Transmitter & Receiver". The manual will explain how to enter the programming mode and how to set all the adjustments (steering, throttle, and the 3rd channel). It is possible the steering end point adjustment needs to be re-done. And, if I remember correctly, it needs to be re-done every time you change steering servos.

If your servo dies electronically rather than mechanically (stripped gears) the end point adjustment is probably not set correctly. If the end point is set beyond what the maximum mechanical travel left and right is, and you hold the steering wheel at full left or right position on the transmitter, the servo tries to move further, the electronics overheat, and something on the servo control board will fry itself. This is because most servos can travel beyond the physical limitations of the mechanical steering components of the RC.

Kind of long winded here but so many things to check/test to try and sort out steering issues. A little tip, when setting steering, it is best to have the front wheels off the ground or better still, turn the RC upside down. You can see what is happening better this way.

There's more to this but no point in getting bogged down with info that may not pertain to your TX/RX combination.
nightcrawler48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 02-17-2020, 04:55 AM   #22
Rock Stacker

Thanks so much for the tips. I'll take a look and do a little more testing. Yes, I do have the stock Tactic transmitter and receiver that came with my Spawn.

Sent from my SM-N960U1 using Tapatalk
Jbtamu1011 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2020, 05:05 PM   #23
Rock Stacker

Well, I tested my EcoPower servo after setting the end points on my transmitter while in programming mode on my ESC. It just doesn't seem to want to turn left all that well. I'm going to try my HH servo that I just got in the mail tonight.

Also, I'm thinking about getting the HW 1080 ESC so I can have more adjust-ability. I think I'm going to try the HH Crawlmaster Sport 540 13T brushed motor. Very budget friendly for $15 and that would put it around 1850kv. 3S should work fine for it, I think. I have on my order list 32p pinions 9t thru 12t.
Old 02-19-2020, 06:45 PM   #24
Rock Stacker

I have a question to add: does the new 1.9 RTR Wraith have space for a full interior or do the new component positions get in the way?
Benbot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2020, 08:56 PM   #25
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Voodoobrew View Post
Everyone likes the hobbywing 1080 esc for the price and features over stock. And it has the juice to power all but the biggest servos.

Wraith axles are called "ar60" so search for that, upgrades are mostly unnecessary, but if the dogbones break get universals.

Underdrive in the rear can help you turn sharper.

I believe there is only overdrive for the front. Alternatively you can swap in a different transmission that has overdrive.

Last edited by Voodoobrew; 02-19-2020 at 09:00 PM.
Voodoobrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2020, 06:10 PM   #26
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Voodoobrew View Post
I just realise this is a 1.9 wraith. It probably uses ar44 axles aka scx10 2 axles. Ar60 is what the 2.2 origional wraith uses.

I believe there is only overdrive for the front. Alternatively you can swap in a different transmission that has overdrive.

Can get confusing when a 1.9 question gets posted to a 2.2 thread.
Old 02-22-2020, 09:37 AM   #27
Rock Stacker

Yeah, it can get confusing when someone throws in the 1.9 variant.
Old 02-22-2020, 09:15 PM   #28
Rock Stacker

Is the 1.9 better? If you had to choose just one, which would it be?
Old 02-23-2020, 06:23 AM   #29
Rock Stacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benbot View Post
Is the 1.9 better? If you had to choose just one, which would it be?
I just have the 2.2 version so I can't say anything about the 1.9. I know the 1.9 basically has the same body cage. Just the axles and transmission are different as well as the motor, similar to the scx10II. The battery is located in the front on the 1.9, but you can do that with the original. It's all about preference.

Sorry to sound snarky, but are you a real person? With a name like that makes me think you are a bot.

Old 02-26-2020, 11:00 AM   #30
Rock Stacker

Yes I'm a real person. OR AM I

Another question: is there any reason you wouldn't be able to just slap some 1.9 wheels and tires on a 2.2 Wraith? I have a Wraith Spawn kit sitting in mothballs and I'm looking some customizing potentials.

Last edited by Benbot; 02-26-2020 at 12:22 PM.
Old 02-26-2020, 07:55 PM   #31
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benbot View Post
Yes I'm a real person. OR AM I

Another question: is there any reason you wouldn't be able to just slap some 1.9 wheels and tires on a 2.2 Wraith? I have a Wraith Spawn kit sitting in mothballs and I'm looking some customizing potentials.
You can throw some 1.9s on a 2.2 but it'll still be a totally different animal. The 1.9 uses the AR44 axles, not the AR60s. Also has chassis mounted servo, different skid, etc, etc, etc.
Old 02-27-2020, 07:11 AM   #32
Rock Stacker

Oh, I know. The goal isn't to make a 1.9 Wraith out of a Spawn, it's just that I prefer the look of smaller tires.
Old 02-27-2020, 08:08 AM   #33
Rock Stacker

Mine has transformed from a Spawn. It's coming along quite nicely. First time doing wraps.

Old 04-07-2020, 05:24 PM   #34

That looks pretty cool with that wrap! I've owned my Wraith Spawn pretty much since that model came out but it's been in storage for about 5 years. Just brought it out and been playing with it since the Covid quarantine, luckily I stored my Lipos correctly and they seem to be working just fine! Anyways I was able to glean some fresh knowledge from your post so thanks, I like that battery tray you picked and will possibly get the same one. My truck is nearly a stock Spawn, I modded the stock battery tray into the front and cut the hood so it's removable but was never fully happy with how it ended up, that tray will make it worlds better. The only other thing I've done is slap in a MG steering servo that I've had for YEARS after my stock servo was destroyed by my son prior to the truck going into storage. I'd love to see where your truck's at now if you're still working on it.
Zad2k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2020, 06:25 PM   #35
Rock Stacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zad2k View Post
That looks pretty cool with that wrap! I've owned my Wraith Spawn pretty much since that model came out but it's been in storage for about 5 years. Just brought it out and been playing with it since the Covid quarantine, luckily I stored my Lipos correctly and they seem to be working just fine! Anyways I was able to glean some fresh knowledge from your post so thanks, I like that battery tray you picked and will possibly get the same one. My truck is nearly a stock Spawn, I modded the stock battery tray into the front and cut the hood so it's removable but was never fully happy with how it ended up, that tray will make it worlds better. The only other thing I've done is slap in a MG steering servo that I've had for YEARS after my stock servo was destroyed by my son prior to the truck going into storage. I'd love to see where your truck's at now if you're still working on it.
Here she is as she sits currently. I finally got around to fixing the hood issue as well. Now I just need to put seats in it for ol Harrison Ford.

I got a fastback part from Shapeways. Also got front wheel wells from there too.

I upgraded the hubs, knuckles and steering arms with the Vanquish kit. I put Beef Tubes AR60 aluminum tubes in the axle housing to strengthen it some.

I need to redo the shock fluid as it still has the stock setup. I did replace my servo to a Holmes Hobby. Man that thing can move the big tires. I plan to add some lights to it as well. I need to get a metal servo mount. The stock plastic one is garbage.

I'm glad you got some good stuff from my post.

Last edited by Jbtamu1011; 05-11-2020 at 08:42 PM.
Old 05-10-2020, 12:10 PM   #36

Dang, I didn't subscribe to the thread I guess so I didn't realize you updated! Your truck looks good! I've since gone full blown back into the RC hobby, I've completed a TRX-4 kit and revived 4 other trucks from storage. I had 6 independently running/driving trucks and just sold the E-Maxx I've owned for like 16 years. I've got another truck or two I'm trying to sell to fund a new Traxxas Maxx.

I've also built a pretty fun crawler course in my back yard which ended up breaking something on my Wraith last night. I'm trying to trouble shoot what exactly broke, I fear it's the stock ESC.
Zad2k is offline   Reply With Quote

New to the Wraith Scene....So Questions - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Very new to the boat scene, have some questions... warren Non Crawler RC's 7 10-28-2017 07:14 AM
RC scene in GA??? CTPATRIOT Georgia 5 12-09-2012 08:05 AM
New to the scene... StreetShaker Newbie General 2 08-05-2010 12:46 PM
new to the scene reptilesnrc Newbie General 8 02-12-2008 05:05 PM