Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs Brand Specific Tech > Axial Brand Scale Rock Crawlers > Axial Wraith

Notices

Thread: Wraith still a good platform to invest in for 2020

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-11-2020, 09:03 PM   #1
dbw
Rock Stacker

Default Wraith still a good platform to invest in for 2020

Hi. I’m back into crawling after a few years off and still like the looks of the wraith. There is a poison spyder on sale at the local hobby shop and am considering. Question is that given this platform is 10 years old, does it still hold up or should I be looking at something else. Thanks in advance.
dbw is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 02-11-2020, 09:40 PM   #2
Rock Stacker

Default Re: Wraith still a good platform to invest in for 2020

So I’ve had my Wraith for about 3 Years, but haven’t done much with it for the last year. I recently started a rebuild using a steel tube chassis. It’s a great crawler. If I were shopping in this segment today I would probably buy the GOM though.
Myndefuk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2020, 10:37 PM   #3
Quarry Creeper

My Wraith was my first hobby grade RC about 6-7 years ago and I still have it, still enjoy it. If I'm going to an area I have never trailed or crawled at, I pretty much always take the Wraith. Sometimes a good choice, sometimes not. I'll evaluate the day and maybe next time take something that makes the day a little more challenging.

As you say, 10 year old platform and nothing has changed so still needs all the up-grades it did back then.

Minimum to get started - steering servo for sure and probably metal trans gears and then it takes off from there. Metal suspension and steering links, shocks, ESC, overdrive front or underdrive rear axle gears, universal front axles, motor, tires, etc., etc. I didn't do it all at once, more on a need to basis or just trying to get to the next level. Then there is all the bling-bling add-ons that might not be totally necessary but are just fun to have.

Over the years I figure I've probably put double the $ into it over the original price. But as I started out saying, still enjoy it.

The thing is, you want to enjoy the day every time you go out. Picking the RC that suits you perfectly can be an expensive trial and error process.

By the way, welcome back to the addiction.

Edit: Check out the post further down the page - Thread: Bomber who? Wraiths still rule!
Interesting comments from some people who still love their Wraiths.

Last edited by nightcrawler48; 02-12-2020 at 10:37 AM.
nightcrawler48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2020, 05:08 AM   #4

Plenty of Wraiths and wraith-based crawlers kicking the newer models butts at the comps. I prefer my custom wraith far above the Bomber.

The new Capra crawls anywhere! But with its narrow body, it doesn’t qualify for same classes as the wraith. The wraith is more versatile for me as you can put a hard body and take it to realistic scale, or go the opposite extreme crawler direction.

I also have the poison spyder plastics, and they are my favorite of the whole bunch. If you spray the cage Aluminum silver that is.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
000AJD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2020, 12:34 PM   #5

I think the Wraith is one of the better looking crawlers out there and I think it will be my second crawler soon.
Milby76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2020, 10:43 PM   #6
RCC Addict

I bought a Wraith spawn about a year ago, upgraded to incision steering links, 35t rc4wd motor 444oz servo with aluminum horn 110mm king shocks I got in a trade deal. Moved the battery up front and added a BEC with all power going to the servo. That’s really about it. It definitely needs beef tubes to keep the hubs tight, I attempted some DIY ones but failed so I’ll be picking up some housings, cheap enough. And installing beef tubes.
The thing is a beast and will pretty much crawl up and over anything. I don’t feel you need to dump the same amount you paid in the car into electronics. The ae-5 esc works great and you don’t have to spend $80-100 on a servo like me. I got a 25kg servo for like $20-25 on Amazon for my scx10.2 and kick myself for spending what I did on the savox. Lots of scale guys around me but I don’t do comps just for fun so I enjoy the wraith for what it is
Fricker08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2020, 09:09 AM   #7
Rock Stacker

This is what I've been wondering--is the Wraith obsolete? I'm not sure why the 1.9 exists when it seems to just be an SCX10 II with a different style body. Still, it looks awfully nice and I'm very tempted in getting one, but I'm afraid it's on its way out the door with the Capra taking its place.
Benbot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2020, 12:06 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benbot View Post
This is what I've been wondering--is the Wraith obsolete? I'm not sure why the 1.9 exists when it seems to just be an SCX10 II with a different style body. Still, it looks awfully nice and I'm very tempted in getting one, but I'm afraid it's on its way out the door with the Capra taking its place.

Aint no Capra coming close to my Wraith 1.9.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
000AJD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2020, 12:26 PM   #9
I wanna be Dave

I've still got mine in 2.2 trim. I didn't drive it much last season, but every time I did, it made me smile. I run it brushless with a HH PullerPro 3500 on 4s and it is just an absolute beast. (Whole driveline is upgraded to handle the power) I think it's still a viable platform if for no other reason, the sheer volume of aftermarket parts available to make it / build it any way you want. Having said that, you can very quickly spend well over the initial cost of the rig doing just that. (color me Guilty). Anyway, if you like the platform I'd say go for it. Even if Horizon axed it from the line today, there will still be a ton of aftermarket going for it for a good long while.
Attached Images

mewalsh100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2020, 01:01 AM   #10
I wanna be Dave

welcome back
great question.
As I to have come back to crawling after being dormant for many years
I see these new crawlers out and I wonder what is better about these, so far I just see that there is portals, dig and 2 speed.
For you, it really depends on your terrain and and what driving brings you the most joy. For example I started with my custom buggy super, but my area didnt really have the rocks for crawling and the guys in my area were all about scalers, 1.9 and 2.2. I soon built a scaler to copy my 1:1 rig, but it was to nice
so I built a custom Wraith, but the easy roll over or tip over wasn't that fun soI built a MOA Berg, absolutely love it to death and super enjoying it the most over the years.
So you just need to see what you are after that would enjoy the most.
The wraith cage is so Awesome!
That Poison spyder is killer!

To -MeWalsh100
WOW!!! That is Baddass killer shafty crawler. Excellent work.
I would like to see more.
Let us know how you decide

Last edited by toy4crawlin; 04-21-2020 at 11:20 PM.
toy4crawlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2020, 09:27 PM   #11
Quarry Creeper

Yes...!

In my very limited experience base, absolutely. The interesting thing I found about the Wraith is that in it's stock form, it is a lot of fun to drive. I did plenty of crawling and exploring before I changed a single thing. Then like many others, I upgraded, but I did it for both performance and the enjoyment of turning wrenches. I have other RC vehicles, but Wraith is my favorite. I've looked at all the other Axial products, and I can't find a reason to get a different one. I'm not a scaler or a detail guy; I just like to crawl and enjoy the outdoors.

Last edited by SteveB1; 04-22-2020 at 09:45 PM.
SteveB1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2020, 06:23 PM   #12
Pebble Pounder

I to have just come back after about 4 years. First question? Where is everyone? for some reason I remember there being more activity here? maybe not?

I had bought the bomber right before putting the trucks down and im back again wondering if I need to invest into the bomber or just keep running the wraith I bought 10 years ago?

Which is a better all around rig? Wraith or bomber?
Rock-Lockster is offline   Reply With Quote

Wraith still a good platform to invest in for 2020 - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Good battery choice for SCX10 platform ? Brawley Axial SCX-10 9 01-10-2016 01:29 PM
Axial Wraith Spawn vs. Yeti for FPV platform jti76 Newbie General 4 06-30-2015 11:05 PM
RC$WD Blackwell's on Wraith platform? NoRotor86 Axial Wraith 0 08-29-2014 07:45 PM
Need some direction on what's a good starting platform Crawlinginthe808 Newbie General 9 05-01-2014 08:48 AM