Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs Brand Specific Tech > Axial Brand Scale Rock Crawlers > Axial Wraith

Notices

Thread: Axial Wraith Spawn Itch - Scratch it?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-04-2021, 01:46 AM   #1
Pebble Pounder

Default Axial Wraith Spawn Itch - Scratch it?

I seem to really like solid axle trucks. So far I have an element Enduro for crawling/trailing and a Redcat Wendigo for mis-adventures.

Every time I get some cash together for a new RC though I come back to the Axial Wraith Spawn. I realise it's some pretty old tech these days but I just love the look of it. Slightly lower and longer than your avergae crawler but with that awesome cage/body combo.

I love the Wendigo but, frankly, it's insane. Seems that the Spawn would provide a slightly more stable option for messing around in the woods.

Ideally I'd get a builders kit but they seem long gone so I guess it would be an RTR and then mod.

Any big reason not to go for it?

My other option would be to keep saving and go for a Losi Lasernut but something about fully independent suspension just feels like cheating
Cuiken is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 05-04-2021, 04:45 AM   #2

Default Re: Axial Wraith Spawn Itch - Scratch it?

I have no complaints about my Wraith, I say go for it!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
rnmdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2021, 05:00 AM   #3
Quarry Creeper

I have 4 wraith spawns all bought in the last 2 years. No problems. Maybe older tech but it works. Go for it

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk
SCX10 JK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2021, 05:25 AM   #4
Pebble Pounder

Thanks guys. I've watched a few videos and think it looks great.

Probably preaching to the choir here but there is something about scale looks and movement in a truck that makes it more compelling. I have a hopped up arrma Senton that handles like a dream but it lacks realism.

Regards spares/upgrades I'm guessing that there shouldn't be too many issues since it shares so many common parts with other Axial vehicles?

I've read that it'll likely need steering hubs, diffs, drive shafts, upper and lower links etc at some point...

From that list (aside from the links) am I right in saying I can just use the huge aftermarket for AR60 parts?

Thanks.
Old 05-04-2021, 05:27 AM   #5

I have aluminum links, everything else is stock parts except the steering servo and body panels. This truck has taken the abuse like a champ.

Old 05-04-2021, 05:28 AM   #6

And yes, parts availability is good, I don’t think there are any not still in production by axial and/or aftermarket.

Old 05-04-2021, 05:29 AM   #7

Old 05-04-2021, 05:39 AM   #8
Quarry Creeper

Yeah parts should not be a problem. 3 of mine are bone stock. And one is my 6yr old daughters so far no issues. One has some basic link upgrades and servo upgrade but stock other than that. My original wraith however is highly modded with 4wheel steering and pretty much no stock parts lol. My wraith are all used more as crawlers and light trial. For bashing I use the bombers. Watch ebay for rollers or parts wraith. I have picked up 3 over the years for under 200 that were broken down as spare parts and all had lots of aftermarket goodies.

Old 05-04-2021, 06:02 AM   #9
Pebble Pounder

Thanks again.

OOC, what is it about the bomber that you think makes it a better basher? I'll be trailing and bashing with this one...

I've nearly bought a bomber a few times but never gone for it (just doesn't look as exciting to me as the wraith spawn).
Old 05-04-2021, 06:15 AM   #10
Quarry Creeper

I just find that it handles better for somewhat faster use. In all fairness I'm not hard on my axial's but I do use them pretty good. I have the rear swaybars on both my bombers one is stock except for upgraded lines and water proof servo. The other is more the basher. Has a 12t traxxas 550 2 speed trans. On 3s it's just stupid fast and mostly uncontrollable so I run it on 2s mostly. I have like 19 axial rc so I and pretty easy on them cause I can't afford to fix them all lol. The old yeti with some upgrades is the true basher in my fleet.

The bomber for me just seems to be a better handling mid speed rig compared to the wraith that's ok at speed with some mods. But the wraith seems to need to be adjusted between speed and crawling. The bomber honestly does nothing exceptionally well but is a pretty good crawler and decent speed trail rig with mild bashing should hold up well. Both my bombers are the original not the v2.

Hope I didn't confuse too much and this is all based on my personal experiences in my terrain.

Old 05-04-2021, 09:02 AM   #11
Quarry Creeper

I'd go with the bomber aswell. I have 2 brushlese wraiths set up like rock bouncers and added trailing arms to make the rear longer (like the bomber) and sway bars (and tons of other overpriced crap). They are great trailing trucks. Basically what I'm saying is i should have just started with bombers, and you should too.

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk
Steve g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2021, 10:34 AM   #12
Pebble Pounder

I say go for it, the wider wheelbase is certainly a huge advantage compared to scale, it also has its disadvantages just like anything else.

I am running stock and it goes everywhere a $1500 fully modified unit goes, In fact each time we leave the field those $1500 modified units are replacing parts.

The bomber is crazy wicked and fast, however it is my belief that more speed equals more broken parts. Not a bad thing if it is in your $1500 budget.
Den72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2021, 10:38 AM   #13
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by rnmdad View Post
And yes, parts availability is good, I don’t think there are any not still in production by axial and/or aftermarket.
Hmm...that depends ...try to get some decent axle shafts
themountain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2021, 12:14 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by themountain View Post
Hmm...that depends ...try to get some decent axle shafts

Fortunately I haven’t had to yet

Old 05-04-2021, 01:25 PM   #15
Pebble Pounder

So I'm back in the same connundrum as last time I bought a truck. Wraith Spawn vs Bomber. Last time I bottled it and bought the Wendigo instread

If you're lucky enough to have both maybe you can help me out here. They seem like very similar trucks are these statements true false?

1. Bomber and Spawn use the same AR60 axles? So, basically the same width.

2. Bomber and Spawn use the same WB88 drive shafts?

3. Bomber has a newer hi/lo transmission. I gather this is not a 2 speed. Just a way to easily swap gearing.

4. Neither come with Sway bars out of the box but the Spawn seems to have less torque twist?

5. The bomber has more suspension travel? I guess it's basically a more up to date design.

5. Similar sized but Bomber is a bit longer (you can use bomber rear links to extend the Spawn if you want)?

6. Both come with full plastic links as stock.

7. Bomber has all metal gears. I gather the Spawn has plastic?

In the UK the Bomber is £100 more than the spawn. So, you could make an argument for buying the Spawn and spending the spare £100 on upgrades.

I should add, I have an AXE550 3300KV that I would be putting into whichever truck I went for. Not sure if that makes a difference.
Old 05-04-2021, 02:58 PM   #16
Slow is the new Fast

I have both a Spawn Wraith and a Bomber. Neither gets a lot of run time these days but I keep on keeping them both around. Both are fun. While they have some similar specs, the differences definitely translate into a different driving experience. Unfortunately I am not sure I can articulate what those differences are. As you pointed out, the Bomber definitely has more torque twist. The weighty cage combined with its long travel shocks definitely make it more roll over prone when to take up some speed. This stuff can be tempered with some modification so shouldn’t be a deal breaker.

At the end of the day, If you are into the Spawn I say go for it. The Wraith is a classic. I don’t think it’s ever too late to pick one up. In my opinion every RC addict should at least own or have owned one Wraith in their life
smog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2021, 03:20 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by smog View Post
I have both a Spawn Wraith and a Bomber. Neither gets a lot of run time these days but I keep on keeping them both around. Both are fun. While they have some similar specs, the differences definitely translate into a different driving experience. Unfortunately I am not sure I can articulate what those differences are. As you pointed out, the Bomber definitely has more torque twist. The weighty cage combined with its long travel shocks definitely make it more roll over prone when to take up some speed. This stuff can be tempered with some modification so shouldn’t be a deal breaker.

At the end of the day, If you are into the Spawn I say go for it. The Wraith is a classic. I don’t think it’s ever too late to pick one up. In my opinion every RC addict should at least own or have owned one Wraith in their life

Well said, I concur

Old 05-08-2021, 03:25 PM   #18
Pebble Pounder

Found a lightly used Wraith builders kit edition (already built) and went for it.

The truck is only a roller though so I need to sort an ESC and motor.

I have either a HW AXE 550 3300kv or a simple HW 1080 ESC and a 21T motor. What do people think will run best?

I'm worried the AXE might be too fast for it and need to be geared down a lot?
Old 05-08-2021, 05:11 PM   #19
RCC Addict

I'd give the Axe a try. I run a 3500kv Puller Pro in mine and even on 4s, it's not uncontrollable, crawls very smooth... mine is geared pretty low though. Word of warning: if it hasn't had the transmission gears replaced with metal already, you'll be stripping those out soon. The kit version should have come with hardened ring & pinions and universal axles, so those should be good.
TheLetterJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2021, 06:52 PM   #20
Quarry Creeper

Yeah the axe will crawl nicely in that, even with stock gearing. But gearing down would be ideal

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk
Steve g is offline   Reply With Quote

Axial Wraith Spawn Itch - Scratch it? - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Axial Wraith 1.9 or Spawn? MoMo515 Axial Wraith 4 04-30-2020 01:09 PM
Axial Wraith Spawn vs Wraith Rock Racer PumpinIron Axial Wraith 8 04-25-2019 08:42 AM