Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs Brand Specific Tech > Axial Brand Scale Rock Crawlers > Axial Wraith

Notices

Thread: Steering knuckle weights

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-06-2021, 11:22 AM   #1
Pebble Pounder

Default Steering knuckle weights

https://www.amazon.com/Que-T-Steerin...0321423&sr=8-1

I am running a RTR Spawn with the pin mounts for the rim and want to install these. It appears that there are some clearance issues when mounting. I plan to convert to hex so this may address the issue not sure.

Anyone else have problems with mounting these?
Den72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 05-06-2021, 07:33 PM   #2
I wanna be Dave

Default Re: Steering knuckle weights

I have a set of those on my Wraith, and another set on my 1/6 Ram. No issues with wheel fitment, though I use hexes and generally they seem to work well. If you are running the Axial IFD wheels, I think they have screws sticking out of the back of the wheel face which doesn't play well with knuckle weights in general.

FYI You'll have to monkey with the steering links a bit. It's best to mount both links under the steering arm. If you still run the stock plastic, it's not going to work. It's a high steer set-up, and the mounts are slightly further out on the axle so the stock link doesn't quite work. You can see I added some spacers between the link and the rod ends.

Also, there's a tapped hole in the back of the weight. Highly recommend a screw back there with a washer or two to act as a steering stop. There's no stop on them, and they'll swing 90d if you let them. I thought I was good without since I have a decent servo on the Ram, but I almost ripped the front wheel off when it overextended. You can see the screw setup (kinda) in this pic

Hope that helps. Sounds like a PITA, but they work very well once you sort them out.

Last edited by OSRC; 05-06-2021 at 07:37 PM.
OSRC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2021, 08:55 AM   #3
Pebble Pounder

Thank you for the tips and suggestions. Yes I am running the stock IFD Rims that came with the RTR. It appears to me as if those screws may be interfering, it doesn't allow the knuckles to recess far enough into the rim. I want to clarify, would converting to hex solve this problem since it will widen it a little bit?

Also I am at this moment in time (until I break parts using these weights), running stock links. Again to clarify when you added spacers that compensated for the difference in mounting and it works with the spacers, without the spacers it won't work?
Old 05-07-2021, 09:06 AM   #4
Rock Crawler

The only problem with those knuckles are the axle shafts ....they break like twigs if you are not careful...I am on my third already
themountain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2021, 10:00 AM   #5
Pebble Pounder

They breaking because of the extra weight and less give? What like to hear more about this and maybe a possible solution. You running stock axle shafts?
Old 05-08-2021, 05:00 AM   #6
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Den72 View Post
They breaking because of the extra weight and less give? What like to hear more about this and maybe a possible solution. You running stock axle shafts?
Usually they dont break because of the weight ,but because the steering angle is to extreme. So you have to dial your EPA well
themountain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2021, 05:58 AM   #7
Quarry Creeper

Just install the steering stops as OSRC mentioned. Also if you break the axle shafts, in the very least buy the upgraded axial ones, not the dog bone ones. The reason you need to extend the steering links is to eliminate the excessive toe-in. Maybe you haven't noticed it yet without having your tires mounted, but you will have too much toe-in with the stock length steering links. You can run it for now like that, just stay off the tar as the extra grip will be putting extra stress on everything.

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk
Steve g is offline   Reply With Quote

Steering knuckle weights - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Knuckle weights and steering links Erik D_lux Team Losi Comp Crawler 32 05-01-2017 11:58 PM
knuckle weights JOHNSON! Axial Wraith 1 01-04-2014 07:14 AM
Knuckle Weights vs. Wheel Weights Harvo Tires and Wheels 34 11-16-2011 01:15 PM
inside tyre touches steering knuckle / steering linkage murky123 Axial SCX-10 4 10-06-2010 04:46 PM