Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs Brand Specific Tech > Axial Brand Scale Rock Crawlers > Axial Wraith

Notices

Thread: Been Waiting a Long Time

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-20-2021, 12:38 PM   #21
I wanna be Dave

Default Re: Been Waiting a Long Time

Quote:
Originally Posted by AK KRAWLER View Post
The Wraith is one rig I have always wanted, looking great man!!!
I would grab one now if you can, rumors are its going to disappear soon.

Traxxas big bores up front...90mm with progressive rate springs...

96mm out back Super soft single rate springs...

lonleycreeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 11-20-2021, 01:03 PM   #22

I love my Wraith. It's currently at a friend's getting some body panels made and getting them powder coated. As for the color, I told him to surprise me. I can't wait to have this back.

Sent from my SM-G986U using Tapatalk
eric04mach1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2021, 05:49 PM   #23
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by eric04mach1 View Post
I love my Wraith. It's currently at a friend's getting some body panels made and getting them powder coated. As for the color, I told him to surprise me. I can't wait to have this back.

Those panels look great!
Old 11-20-2021, 05:54 PM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by lonleycreeper View Post
Those panels look great!
Thanks. I wish I could take credit for making them. Friend of mine is doing that for me.

eric04mach1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2021, 05:01 PM   #25
I wanna be Dave

I took her out on a beautiful fall day...

She's a good looking rig, but I had issues with the throttle and steering cutting out...

So on my way home I decided to go crazy...

Old 11-29-2021, 09:55 PM   #26
Quarry Creeper

Looks like a good plan there. I'm just starting to get into the brushless side of things. Still having a hard time with the price lol. I can get a lot of hw1080 and HH motors for the price of a sensored brushless system. That being said my favorite brushed is still my HH BRXL and a Tekin t35 HD in my wraith. If I need more I just up the voltage lol. Still for cheap power and good tuning I'm having a hard time beating the HW 1080 and the HH 550 crawlmaster sport motors. My daughter is now wanting more speed from her Wraith so looking at my options for upgrading her for Christmas.

Have to say it's refreshing to see a good looking wraith build.

Keep up the good work your making me dust off my wraiths and get them back out on the trails.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk
SCX10 JK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2021, 04:13 AM   #27
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCX10 JK View Post
Looks like a good plan there. I'm just starting to get into the brushless side of things. Still having a hard time with the price lol. I can get a lot of hw1080 and HH motors for the price of a sensored brushless system. That being said my favorite brushed is still my HH BRXL and a Tekin t35 HD in my wraith. If I need more I just up the voltage lol. Still for cheap power and good tuning I'm having a hard time beating the HW 1080 and the HH 550 crawlmaster sport motors. My daughter is now wanting more speed from her Wraith so looking at my options for upgrading her for Christmas.

Have to say it's refreshing to see a good looking wraith build.

Keep up the good work you're making me dust off my wraiths and get them back out on the trails.

Dust them off, and get them out on the trails! lol

I agree, I have always gone budget on my builds, due to not having a lot of money. The price is hard to swallow, but brushless is much more powerful and more efficient than brushed, and I finally have capital to do it. I love the power my revolver system has in my Bronco and wanted to emulate that, but quieter. In all reality this system was only a few dollars more than a revolver and Sidewinder 4. It is hard to tell it's not brushed.
I have yet to get it out on the rocks, due to the servo dying while testing in the living room...

Last edited by lonleycreeper; 11-30-2021 at 04:16 AM.
Old 11-30-2021, 05:55 AM   #28
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Dust them off, and get them out on the trails! lol

I agree, I have always gone budget on my builds, due to not having a lot of money. The price is hard to swallow, but brushless is much more powerful and more efficient than brushed, and I finally have capital to do it. I love the power my revolver system has in my Bronco and wanted to emulate that, but quieter. In all reality this system was only a few dollars more than a revolver and Sidewinder 4. It is hard to tell it's not brushed.
I have yet to get it out on the rocks, due to the servo dying while testing in the living room...
Yeah I'm going to keep looking into the brushless for sure. I hear you on the money for me I have managed to get quite a few rc's over the past 10 years but most or all but 1 have been ebay finds for cheap. I started this hobby with no kids lol now have 2 kids so cheap is important and they love them too. Grandparents help some for the kids that helps a ton.

Always something seems like I'm doing that all the time fix one thing something else dies. I have a wraith in the parts box disassembled because it did that everytime I drove it. So I tore it apart for spare parts lol.

SCX10 JK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2021, 07:06 AM   #29
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Yeah I'm going to keep looking into the brushless for sure. I hear you on the money for me I have managed to get quite a few rc's over the past 10 years but most or all but 1 have been ebay finds for cheap. I started this hobby with no kids lol now have 2 kids so cheap is important and they love them too. Grandparents help some for the kids that helps a ton.

Always something seems like I'm doing that all the time fix one thing something else dies. I have a wraith in the parts box disassembled because it did that everytime I drove it. So I tore it apart for spare parts lol.

I discovered a little while ago, that you get what you pay for when it comes to electronics.... I am sure you have heard "Buy once, Cry once"...

Well I am crying now, as I have doubled the cost of my rtr... I know these parts will last a lifetime, or at least more than a couple runs. (I got exactly two runs out of the rtr electronics)

I tossed in my Savox 1210 from my Bronco and bumped up the bec output to 7.5v... The tires now move when commanded.

Next upgrade will probably be the trans as I believe they come with plastic gears inside
Old 11-30-2021, 02:06 PM   #30
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
I have always admired the Wraith.

When it cam out I wanted one, but was invested in Scx10 life, lol.

I have been running my Ryft with a HIGHLY modded Wraith, and realized I needed one.
It just so happened I dropped in on my Lhs, and they were having a sale in store on every thing, and just so happened to have a Wraith Spawn. Well this followed me home...

A little pink vinyl and the stripe looks pretty good...

I cannot have the battery in the back, So I made an aluminum bracket to put the battery up front. Also I swapped out the rx for a specky I had laying around...

The plan is to run her stock until something breaks, or I cant stand it anymore. I suspect the first things to go will be the internal trans gears, and the plastic steering link. followed closely by the stock steering servo.
Have really been surprised how durable this machine is. I have been running stock and bashing it like crazy and the first thing to give out was the left front link. Zip tied it to the axle in the field and kept going.

Replaced the ESC with a programmable HW esc and I started to eat up the stock plastic servo horn, this was to be expected with the change in response with the new ESC.
Den72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2021, 02:08 PM   #31
Pebble Pounder

Quote:

How are you dealing with the body for battery changes. I screwed in a little piece of plastic on the sides of my daughter's and put some velcro to hold the body on. It so far has held up really well.

Purchased the Traxxas battery hold down plate #TRA3727A and mounted the posts in he same holes the screws fit into. This allows you to use pins for ease of changing batteries.
Den72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2021, 04:32 PM   #32
I wanna be Dave

Thats awesome to hear. I hinged my hood and got the big 5000 mah 3s under the hood.

My servo and esc died on the second run and I stripped the servo hon on the first. Links have not been a problem yet...

I am going to pick up some stainless steel straws from wally world and make my own links...
Old 11-30-2021, 06:38 PM   #33
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Thats awesome to hear. I hinged my hood and got the big 5000 mah 3s under the hood.

My servo and esc died on the second run and I stripped the servo hon on the first. Links have not been a problem yet...

I am going to pick up some stainless steel straws from wally world and make my own links...
That sounds like a good idea, report back and let us know how it goes! Id be curious to see them.

Veterans deserve a whole month too...
ScaleLifeNewbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2021, 07:08 PM   #34
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScaleLifeNewbie View Post
That sounds like a good idea, report back and let us know how it goes! Id be curious to see them.

Veterans deserve a whole month too...
My bronco has some already and they work really well, the Stainless slides much better than Aluminum. These I plan on being high clearance in the rear.
Old 11-30-2021, 08:23 PM   #35
I wanna be Dave

I tossed a 43/13 gearset in the rear axle, for a small underdrive, I stole from an old gen 1 scx10 axle. It had a HH heavy spool installed. Went together flawlessly.

Can't wait to get her on some difficult climbs.

Testing she made it up the steps to my house further than any other rig I own....

Speed may be a little slower than stock but the control and slow speed is excellent, I may drop a 2speed from my bronco into her. just to get some top speed going again.
Old 12-01-2021, 11:35 AM   #36
I wanna be Dave

Today, I put a metal gearset in the trans, I really don't want to kill the plastic gears, and have another breakdown on the trail again.

Total weight of the rig... 6lbs 14.1 oz, so the metal gears added 1.1 oz in weight
Old 12-01-2021, 07:09 PM   #37
I wanna be Dave

Creating links, Lower fronts done..., I need some more rod ends to get the rest made.

A couple pictures, no binding...

Old 12-03-2021, 03:45 PM   #38
I wanna be Dave

I got her out today, hit some lines I have been trying to hit for a long time. Made some lines I struggle with in my Trail king with ease. Overall, very happy with the performance and stability of the rig. I ran for over 3 hours and my 5000mah battery was resting @3.78v per cell. She just sips at the amps and has plenty of pop.

A couple annoyances...

I lost the steering servo screw on the trail, fortunately, I had a small assortment with me and replaced it on the spot.

And My Copper head cut out on me 3 times like I hit LVC. I had to turn it off, and back on and she ran great after that.
Also the esc beeped almost constantly, just a quiet triple tone every 15 seconds or so...

Old 12-04-2021, 09:28 PM   #39
I wanna be Dave

We had an impromtu Fun run today, mostly big tire rigs, but a couple Trx4's and a couple Capras came out

Also a Scx6

Old 12-13-2021, 03:23 PM   #40
I wanna be Dave

Doing maintenance on my rig, checking screws and what not, I found a rear corner was binding...

Weird that the shock would do that, then I saw it...
I took some good tumbles out on the last run, I blame a particularly bad one early in the run.

So I had a spare, swapped it in and all better now.

Been Waiting a Long Time - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Just introducing myself. Long time racer, first time crawler. Hinecken Newbie General 15 01-17-2015 05:19 AM
Long time lurker, first time posting Nvghostrider Axial SCX-10 51 07-02-2013 03:40 PM
I have been waiting a long time jdacus Comments, Suggestions, and Help 3 02-03-2009 07:49 AM
Long time reader, First time poster overclokedguru General Crawlers 5 09-21-2006 11:25 PM
Long time reader, first time poster monkey boy General Crawlers 9 01-08-2006 06:56 PM