Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs Brand Specific Tech > Axial Brand Scale Rock Crawlers > Axial Wraith

Notices

Thread: Wraith dig unit? Functional, fun and worth it? or no?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-04-2013, 12:49 PM   #1

Lightbulb Wraith dig unit? Functional, fun and worth it? or no?

I was thinking about installing a VP dig unit in wraith, I've got it completly tuned for crawling. Was wondering if its actually worth it, or if I should get a 2speed trans so I can get some speed going sometimes instead. I'm running a 55T with 87spur and 14 pinion, its faster than I walk, but never binds up obviously. Any input appreciated,
Thanks,
Mat

Last edited by MatD; 01-04-2013 at 01:11 PM.
MatD is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 01-04-2013, 06:42 PM   #2
RCC Addict

Default Re: Wraith dig unit? Functional, fun and worth it? or no?

It depends on how and where you drive your Wraith. The DIG unit allows for really tight turns crawling. It also allows the rear wheels to free wheel which helps with steering if you are going faster.

Here is a tread that I wrote that has information on the Axial DIG unit. The VP unit would produce similar results.

Updated:AX30793 Dig upgrade shipped. -- Turning Radius Measurements Posted.

l

Last edited by k7zpj; 01-04-2013 at 06:44 PM.
k7zpj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 10:20 PM   #3
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by k7zpj View Post
It depends on how and where you drive your Wraith. The DIG unit allows for really tight turns crawling. It also allows the rear wheels to free wheel which helps with steering if you are going faster.

Here is a tread that I wrote that has information on the Axial DIG unit. The VP unit would produce similar results.

Updated:AX30793 Dig upgrade shipped. -- Turning Radius Measurements Posted.

l
If you could check post #20 in your dig thread: Updated:AX30793 Dig upgrade shipped. -- Turning Radius Measurements Posted.

Thanks
Norton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2013, 01:21 PM   #4
Quarry Creeper

I recently installed a VP DIG and I tell you I like it. Running a 35t motor and set up for strictly crawling. It allows me to get into tighter terrain and tests the skills further than before. If you are not doing alot of tight crawling I feel it can be something not as valuable so really all depends on how you drive and where. Hope that helps alittle and good luck.
NCT_Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2013, 02:48 PM   #5
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Norton View Post
If you could check post #20 in your dig thread: Updated:AX30793 Dig upgrade shipped. -- Turning Radius Measurements Posted.

Thanks

The Ridgecrest uses the AX10 transmission. The Axial Dig upgrade only works in the Wraith transmission.

You could probably modify the Ridgecrest to use the Wraith Transmission with the dig upgrade. You could do this by buying a Wraith Transmission case and the Dig upgrade. However, you would probably be better off buying a Dig unit for the AX10 transmission.

Vanquish makes a nice one.
Axial AX10 Hurtz Shifter 3 Position Dig
Old 01-12-2013, 06:56 PM   #6

I have installed the Axial DIG, I use it a lot not only on tight turns but very useful on going steep downhill without rolling over. I have posted a video link in the forum before, the Wraith with dig and Honcho without dig, the performance difference is very obvious. Crawling on the beach rock - Axial Honcho and Wraith - YouTube
Alex Yuen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2013, 10:00 PM   #7

Thanks guys, that's definitly what I was wondering. I've got mine set up for crawling, it barely goes faster than I walk down the trail, and it weighs 13lbs now. Does it help with climbs too by free wheeling the rears? Ill be picking one up soon, trying to find a resonable tx to do the three positions now.

Last edited by MatD; 01-12-2013 at 10:00 PM. Reason: autocorrect is dumb
Old 01-13-2013, 12:00 AM   #8

Free rear wheel doesn't help the climb at all, because by using only the front wheels, they do not have enough traction to pull the rig up without the push from the rear since all the weight (CG) has been shifted backward. My strong suggestion is to reduce the rear wheel revolve by changing the rear bevel gear, ie rear underdrive, this will reduce the torque twist. Regarding TX I use Futaba 4PL.
Alex Yuen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2013, 01:10 AM   #9

Nice, that was going to be my next question if the free wheel didn't help much. Thanks for the tx recommendation too
Old 01-25-2013, 08:53 PM   #10

How hard is it to put in? And what parts do you need for the wraith kit version
99chevy84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2013, 09:15 PM   #11
RCC Addict

It is easy to install.

You need the AX30793 Dig kit, A 3 or more channel radio and a servo for the dig unit.
Old 01-26-2013, 12:28 AM   #12
Rock Crawler

Save your money......Its not neccessary......only causes problems.... and NOT worth the headache......Use your 3rd channel for a servo winch...
scottanthony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2019, 05:31 AM   #13

Hi Guys
Sorry to bring back an old thread but after 6 years was a DIG in the Wraith worth it ?

I have a build going on with no tranny yet and I'm trying to work out whether to get a 2 speed, Standard Wraith tranny or Standard tranny with DIG kit.

My Wraith is only for crawling, at the moe it only has front metal axle, rear is standard and I think both axles are standard diff locks, using King Piggyback shocks and some 3 point shock lowering kit brackets, AXIAL YETI ALUMINIUM 2.2 WHEEL HUB ADAPTERS (14MM THICKNESS) AX80128 - GPM YT014A with Proline Faultline 6 lug bead locks and Gmade Bighorn 2.2 tyres (no inner foam yet), motor is brushed 45t Holmes Hobby and Hobbywing QuicRun 1080 Waterproof Brushed 80A ESC.

This build is ongoing and will be used on my own circuit once built, the truck will be hired out to customers...
Any help with tranny and any other hopups would be much appreciated, bearing in mind options do not need to be most expensive as vehicle hired out, need to know what would break in time.
Will be buying alu c hubs and turn knuckles, tranny looking at was a metal case with metal gears (cheap Ebay) with DIG option available.
Any help with anything to do with Crawling a Wraith please.
colosus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2019, 06:36 AM   #14
I wanna be Dave

If this is going to be a truck that is loaned out, then I wouldn't bother with dig. It is one of those features that take time to learn to use properly through lots of driving to extract maximum performance. A rental truck you want to be simple and easy to drive for someone who has little to no experience with these RCs, dig adds complexity to both the driving experience and mechanics of the truck.
svt923 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2019, 06:45 AM   #15

Thanks for the reply mate, what if I choose to use this as my own truck and have a second for hire ? would you suggest DIG or 2 Speed or just standard ?

What hopups would you replace for your own truck and what for a hire truck ?
If hire then must make sure some parts don't break...or parts that would break make sure I have some stock.. any suggestions ?? Cheers
Old 09-09-2019, 07:04 PM   #16
RCC Addict

My Wraith I have the dig but then I also have a MOA comp crawler so using the dig function does become second nature.
You could easily have it in a hire rig, just don't mention it to the renter & they won't even know it's there.

Using a 45t motor I certainly wouldn't bother with a 2 speed, high gear alone will be plenty smooth & slow enough, low gear will be only lower & slower.
altd896 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2019, 08:15 AM   #17

Excellent thanks for the reply..
This is actually my first Crawler had Scx10 for Trails before, I was looking at this cheap tranny all metal case and metal gears (not 2 speed).. I know people go for RC4WD transmission but saving a little money plus its a replica of the Wraith tranny with option if ever needed to play with DIG... What do you think ? eBay item number: 123350359719

In reply to my Holmes 45t what pinion & spur gear can be used to have good slow Crawl and not this jolting effect where motor speed is too fast with 2s & 3s?
Sorry guys forgot how to add photos from pc in the forum
Old 09-10-2019, 10:20 AM   #18
RCC Addict

Looks like a generic alloy trans case, same one is available from several brands, they work fine, I've got one in a rig.
Only thing to watch is bearing pocket tolerances (but that goes for almost all parts including stock) they can be a whisker loose (never been stuck with one tight). If they are loose you can use a piece of plastic sheet from a bag (shopping/zip lock/stock parts) lay it in pocket, push in the bearing, trim off surplus bag.

With a 45t stock gearing will be fine, could maybe go down 1 tooth on the pinion but I probably wouldn't bother
Old 09-11-2019, 05:14 AM   #19

Thanks mate for all the help and info, think I can't go wrong grabbing this cheap tranny as it has metal gears too making it slightly better than stock, in any case I will take it apart to check its greased properly and all internal parts run freely..

Pinion and spur... did you mean stock will be perfect ? what teeth are they on both because I don't have any except an scx10 14t pinion in my bits box..
By the way the motor is 45t Sport Torque Master 540 HolmesHobbie thinking running 3s....Wraith is being built from spare parts, posting build in a few months.

Anyone else feel free to drop a message for any other suggestions and hopups for Axial Wraith's..alloy parts and so on.. cheers
Old 09-11-2019, 06:34 PM   #20
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by colosus View Post
Pinion and spur... did you mean stock will be perfect ? what teeth are they on both because I don't have any except an scx10 14t pinion in my bits box..

That trans looks like it's got the stock Wraith sized 80Tooth 48Pitch spur.
With the RTR 20turn motor the supplied 20tooth pinion was too high gearing, motors burnt up.
The 45turn motor on 3s will have more torque than the RTR motor so the stock gearing of 20/80tooth should be ok, I duuno about perfect, but ok.

If you've got a pinion off an early scx10 that should be a 20tooth 48pitch same as Wraith or the later ones came with a 13tooth 32pitch (similar diameter, coarser tooth profile)

You won't be able to use the 13tooth pinion on the 80tooth spur with them being different pitches.

Wraith dig unit? Functional, fun and worth it? or no? - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
3 racing dig unit is it worth it? Venom0 Axial AX-10 Scorpion 2 10-24-2012 01:22 PM
AX10 Dig Unit on Wraith? haines12121 Axial Wraith 2 02-10-2012 03:42 PM
HR Dig unit for Wraith Rig Rocker Axial Wraith 4 01-05-2012 12:49 PM