Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs Brand Specific Tech > Axial Brand Scale Rock Crawlers > Axial Wraith

Notices

Thread: Oops I bought a wraith 1.9

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-22-2022, 10:40 PM   #21
Quarry Creeper

Default Re: Oops I bought a wraith 1.9

Yup still sucks though lol. Glad I have one at least and thankfully most of the parts should still be pretty easy to come by for a while. Guess this one never really caught on much either. I haven't had mine all that long and don't have much time running it but I'm really liking the platform a lot. Guess I'll need to stock up on a few of the Wraith 1.9 platform specific parts now or just buy a second one .

Quote:
Originally Posted by HumboldtEF View Post
Well dang, I guess it has been out a while and its in a weird RTR only void.
SCX10 JK is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 02-25-2022, 05:03 AM   #22
I wanna be Dave

Nice score man!

I too had been watching, hemming and hawing on scoring a 1.9 Wraith for a while. I ended up scoring a similar deal online, so let the games begin.

I've been going back n forth on two totally different schools of thought. 1.) Tear it apart and completely upgrade/modify as I usually do with my rigs. Or, 2.) Run it box stock and commence with a full on torture test and only repair/replace what breaks. I fear I don't have the discipline for this!

I've already removed the body decals on my Black/Green rig (too busy for me). Next, I flipped the rear shock tower and outboarded the front shocks to the lower link mount to bring the altitude down a bit. Then it was some wheels and tires. Going to get her out this weekend and make some assessments. My guess is I'll be deeply in to my 1st school of thought before I'm through the first pack.
mewalsh100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2022, 06:14 AM   #23
Quarry Creeper

Yeah I have done that a few times over the years as well. First rig I got I wound up putting 500 in upgrades before I had hardly even driven it. Over the years and 2 kids later I have learned to slow down and replace or modify as needed (mainly lack of money and time). I have 26 axial rigs now so I can't just up and mod like I used to lol. I have also started seeing how much I can do with little tweaks and free mods first to improve performance.

Congrats on the score to you as well. Get a thread on it with some pictures. I'm always looking for ideas.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mewalsh100 View Post
Nice score man!

I too had been watching, hemming and hawing on scoring a 1.9 Wraith for a while. I ended up scoring a similar deal online, so let the games begin.

I've been going back n forth on two totally different schools of thought. 1.) Tear it apart and completely upgrade/modify as I usually do with my rigs. Or, 2.) Run it box stock and commence with a full on torture test and only repair/replace what breaks. I fear I don't have the discipline for this!

I've already removed the body decals on my Black/Green rig (too busy for me). Next, I flipped the rear shock tower and outboarded the front shocks to the lower link mount to bring the altitude down a bit. Then it was some wheels and tires. Going to get her out this weekend and make some assessments. My guess is I'll be deeply in to my 1st school of thought before I'm through the first pack.
Old 02-25-2022, 09:24 AM   #24
I wanna be Dave

So yup... one of you guys did it. I just ordered one up. I've wanted one since it first came out, but I managed to always put it off.

I've been noticing that the black color is slowly dwindling in availability and I'm sure the orange one is sure to be next. It looks like the rig is going to be discontinued soon, and whatever RTRs out there is what seems to be left. Body set is discontinued which is a bummer.

It seems to be going through the last stages of life like the UMG10 did when it got discontinued.
soze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2022, 10:26 AM   #25
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by soze View Post
So yup... one of you guys did it. I just ordered one up. I've wanted one since it first came out, but I managed to always put it off.

I've been noticing that the black color is slowly dwindling in availability and I'm sure the orange one is sure to be next. It looks like the rig is going to be discontinued soon, and whatever RTRs out there is what seems to be left. Body set is discontinued which is a bummer.

It seems to be going through the last stages of life like the UMG10 did when it got discontinued.
Glad you got one before they were gone man.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk
Old 03-12-2022, 09:03 AM   #26
Quarry Creeper

Small update in using the rear misc links that I had on hand I messed up and used the wrong rod ends. So without realizing it I shortened my wheelbase about a 1/4". Also the hollow balls I had were just a tad too narrow thing they were revo rod ends. I found some more rod ends in the parts box and some correct width stainless hollow balls. Now my wheelbase is just about 1/16' - 1/8" longer than stock and all the slop is now gone as well. Nice and tight but everything moves freely and super smooth.

Black body picture was with the shorter wheelbase and the tire was hitting the fender area way farther forward.

Adjusted wheelbase of just a touch over 12" and tire now hit fender pretty much in the middle if not just a touch to the rear of the fender.

Last edited by SCX10 JK; 03-12-2022 at 09:08 AM.
Old 03-12-2022, 12:21 PM   #27
Rock Crawler

That looks good man!!!
AK KRAWLER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2022, 08:38 PM   #28
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by AK KRAWLER View Post
That looks good man!!!
Thanks

Old 03-12-2022, 08:56 PM   #29
Quarry Creeper

Made a few more changes tonight. I wasn't real happy with the torque twist when on the throttle but didn't want to do anything too drastic. So I just moved the esc over to the other side so now it's a bit more balanced side to side and that helped a good bit. Still has a little bit of torque twist but very manageable now.

Also tweaked upper links on rear a little to change the drive line angle. Not sure if I made it better or if I created a problem. Seems to work great but would like some input on it. Now the driveline at normal height is almost straight. The rear diff is slightly angle up from the drive shaft line and I will probably put slightly shorter rod ends on to push the diff down just a hair to keep it angled straight inline with the drive shaft. Looks far better than the front drive line angles that are still stock for now.

Old 03-23-2022, 07:21 PM   #30
Quarry Creeper

Small update finally found and got in the BP Custom chassis brace and some shims for the pinions. I really wanted the brace with the bumper support but it's out of stock with no date as to if it will get restocked.

Will post picture once installed.

Last edited by SCX10 JK; 03-23-2022 at 08:44 PM.
Old 03-23-2022, 07:52 PM   #31
I wanna be Dave

Nice! You may have the updated cage on yours since you got yours later in production. I think it adds a tiny bit of extra support for the front bumper. Whether thats enough to be bulletproof or not I dont know.
HumboldtEF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2022, 08:39 PM   #32
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by HumboldtEF View Post
Nice! You may have the updated cage on yours since you got yours later in production. I think it adds a tiny bit of extra support for the front bumper. Whether thats enough to be bulletproof or not I dont know.
Yes, mine is the updated chassis design, which I'm sure is much better than the v1. I wanted mainly to beef up the panhard attachment point because it was very weak. Even the stock crap servo was causing the mount to deflect some.

Old 03-23-2022, 08:43 PM   #33
Quarry Creeper

Here is the chassis support installed. Definitely stiffend up the whole front end very nicely. Everything feels much tighter and more solid than previously. The panhard mount is super ridged now, and the clearances while less still allow everything to move freely.

Have some more goodies coming soon.

Here is a good shot at the slightly beefed up chassis. Definitely better than the original but still has a lot of flex to it.

Last edited by SCX10 JK; 03-23-2022 at 08:46 PM.
Old 03-28-2022, 08:00 PM   #34
Quarry Creeper

Well I have some more parts coming in this week. I will update once they get in.

Thoughts and Ideas of where too next.

I have considered putting the ssd 2 speed trans in this rig I love the idea of low low crawl and still decent enough to trail with.

Here is the thought and parts idea.

SSD 2-Speed trans

56t spur and keep cover or go 60t spur and ditch the cover
10t if it fits or 11t pinion

8t 550 HH crawlmaster sport
Hobbywing 1080 esc

Gear calculations

10t pinion with 60t spur = 1st gear FDR 110.5 2nd gear FDR 40.5
speed on 3s would be approx. 3.26 mph first and 8.89 mph for second.

11t pinion with 56t spur I know this fits.

1st gear FDR 93.75 2nd gear FDR 34.37
Speed on 3s would be approx. 3.84 mph in first and 10.38 mph for second.

Any pros or cons to going this route?

Yes I have heard brushless is so much better, but I have 99% of what I need to go this route minus the transmission which on sale is about 80 bucks.

I am not opposed to trying brushless but I have had huge success with my cheap brushed setups. Pretty much all my rigs are running the HW1080 with a HH crawlmaster sport or the trailmaster sport in 550 if it fits 540 if not. Just not sure on dropping 160 to 250 on a brushless setup.

Sorry for the longer more involved post but ideas and thoughts would be appreciated.
Old 03-29-2022, 08:45 AM   #35
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCX10 JK View Post
Well I have some more parts coming in this week. I will update once they get in.

Thoughts and Ideas of where too next.

I have considered putting the ssd 2 speed trans in this rig I love the idea of low low crawl and still decent enough to trail with.

Here is the thought and parts idea.

SSD 2-Speed trans

56t spur and keep cover or go 60t spur and ditch the cover
10t if it fits or 11t pinion

8t 550 HH crawlmaster sport
Hobbywing 1080 esc

Gear calculations

10t pinion with 60t spur = 1st gear FDR 110.5 2nd gear FDR 40.5
speed on 3s would be approx. 3.26 mph first and 8.89 mph for second.

11t pinion with 56t spur I know this fits.

1st gear FDR 93.75 2nd gear FDR 34.37
Speed on 3s would be approx. 3.84 mph in first and 10.38 mph for second.

Any pros or cons to going this route?

Yes I have heard brushless is so much better, but I have 99% of what I need to go this route minus the transmission which on sale is about 80 bucks.

I am not opposed to trying brushless but I have had huge success with my cheap brushed setups. Pretty much all my rigs are running the HW1080 with a HH crawlmaster sport or the trailmaster sport in 550 if it fits 540 if not. Just not sure on dropping 160 to 250 on a brushless setup.

Sorry for the longer more involved post but ideas and thoughts would be appreciated.
Nothing wrong with cheap electronics, as long as they work...

However I have had issues with servos burning out in 2 speeds. So a Brushless system can give you the best of both worlds, Excelent low speed control and top speed rivaling high gear in a two speed. I finally stepped up to a Castle sensored system in my Wraith (Copperhead combo) and top speed is 12ish mph and low speed is good, just not Brushed smooth. She cogs a bit when in a bind. (Stock gearing 12/56 1900kv)

Last edited by lonleycreeper; 03-29-2022 at 09:42 AM.
lonleycreeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2022, 06:46 PM   #36
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by lonleycreeper View Post
Nothing wrong with cheap electronics, as long as they work...

However I have had issues with servos burning out in 2 speeds. So a Brushless system can give you the best of both worlds, Excelent low speed control and top speed rivaling high gear in a two speed. I finally stepped up to a Castle sensored system in my Wraith (Copperhead combo) and top speed is 12ish mph and low speed is good, just not Brushed smooth. She cogs a bit when in a bind. (Stock gearing 12/56 1900kv)

Yeah I do love the smoothness of the 5 slot 550 motors. So far the HW1080 and the HH Crawlmaster sport motors have been great. I figured with a full size servo I would eliminate most of the servos burning up. I have three 2 speed rigs yeti xl and bomber v1 that have full size servos no issues there for years of use. Now my Ryft has a micro servo with around 10-15 hrs on it so far so good..........

Good to know the brushless speeds though that's about what I'm shooting for I have considered the HW fusion 1800kv or the Spektrum version in 2300kv and gearing down a little more. Price wise its not that far off of the 2 speed option either.
Old 03-31-2022, 09:20 PM   #37
Quarry Creeper

I got some goodies in the mail tonight .....

Incision links wanted weight down low. Current rear links are Incision links from the front of a bomber. So if I keep these it will look the same.

SSD long rod ends and m3/m4 rod ends to tweak bomber links if I keep them on the rig. Using the bent uppers might prevent me from using the 550 length motor. I'll use the stock Incision links if there is a problem or order the SSD 2 speed spacer to get the clearance needed.

SSD universals
SSD bent titanium steering link (not sure if I'll use these)
HW1080 with RR 11t pinion and HH Crawlmaster sport 8t 550

It's a start ........pics will go up soon.

Old 04-01-2022, 05:54 AM   #38
Rock Crawler

I'm planning some similarly cheap electronics in my Bronco. I want the Holmes 550, 13t Crawlmaster Sport. I figure I should also move to the HW 1080 when I do that.

However, since I'm still running the stock Horizon gear which combines the ESC and RX, I'll also need to buy a new RX / TX if I do that.

So I might as well buy another micro servo, and a 4ch RX / TX to get full function (2 speed and dig) from my transmission.

So even though I plan for cheap electronics, it'll probably still be an expensive switch. Definitely not something I'm doing for a while. I'll probably need to see some stock components fail before I head down that road.

It sounds like your setting this Wraith up to be a lot of fun. Should be quite the performer on the trail or the rocks.
Fallen is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2022, 10:44 AM   #39
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fallen View Post
I'm planning some similarly cheap electronics in my Bronco. I want the Holmes 550, 13t Crawlmaster Sport. I figure I should also move to the HW 1080 when I do that.

However, since I'm still running the stock Horizon gear which combines the ESC and RX, I'll also need to buy a new RX / TX if I do that.

So I might as well buy another micro servo, and a 4ch RX / TX to get full function (2 speed and dig) from my transmission.

So even though I plan for cheap electronics, it'll probably still be an expensive switch. Definitely not something I'm doing for a while. I'll probably need to see some stock components fail before I head down that road.

It sounds like your setting this Wraith up to be a lot of fun. Should be quite the performer on the trail or the rocks.
Yeah I hear ya there funny thing that's exactly what I did with my 10.3 JLU. Did the HW 1080 and a 12t 550 cralwmaster sport tossed in a 4ch. Spektrum rx and bound to my dc5. Already had the rx and tx setup with about 5 4ch rx. Granted I got my 10.3 with no esc or rx/tx so I didn't have much choice.

I would, however, suggest go ahead and get the motor and tweak the esc settings. The HH motors even on the stock esc make a significant difference in speed and smoothness. I have all stock electronics on my 10.3 gladiator, except I swapped a HH 550 12t in as well and wow I like it. It's a tight fit but nothing needs to be trimmed just patience in routing wires. Granted, you have a different motor cover, so I can't say anything about that.

Old 04-01-2022, 11:45 AM   #40
Rock Crawler

Thanks for the tip. I'll probably order up a Crawlmaster in a few days.

And I don't care about my motor cover. My Bronco's hood doesn't open so I could scrap it entirely and not miss it. In fact, that seems like a good way to shave some weight up high...
Fallen is online now   Reply With Quote

Oops I bought a wraith 1.9 - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
So I bought a second wraith... willydethblow Axial Wraith 3 06-27-2017 01:13 PM
Bought a used Wraith, how did I do? Smonkman Axial Wraith 6 06-28-2015 11:14 PM
So, I bought a Wraith fyrstormer General Crawlers 42 01-27-2015 04:24 PM
Just bought a Wraith Kit Tommy_Boy_1184 South Carolina 31 03-12-2012 03:33 PM
Oops I bought a Goat bigloudvtwin Team Losi Comp Crawler 20 03-16-2011 06:09 AM