Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs Brand Specific Tech > Axial Brand Scale Rock Crawlers > Axial Wraith

Notices

Thread: Wratih Spawn 5K Kit Build The Last NIB Wraith Kit?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-15-2024, 04:15 PM   #1
Rock Stacker

Default Wratih Spawn 5K Kit Build The Last NIB Wraith Kit?

NeW YeAr NeW Me

Well, hello all you RC crawler enthusiasts! I am here with another build! However, this one is special to me. Some back story, when I was in my teens, I used to work for a few different hobby shops back home. Which, just so happens to be where Horizon Hobby is based out of! At the time, I had barely scraped enough together to get myself my SCX10 JK unlimited kit for my graduation gift to myself. However, I had always wanted a wraith when they first came out. Just being young and broke, I couldn't justify it.

Anyway! Now, 10 years later, here we are. Recently, I have gotten back into the hobby. Mainly as both my 1:1 rigs are down. One of my goals is to be able to attend Axial Fest West for 2024 (will this happen? Doubtful). The main reason is that the Ultra 5k has got my attention, I think the concept is awesome! It seems like a fun test against the machine you build, and YOU. While this goal is kinda just a dream. It has lived rent free in my head several months now, plus I don't even have a rig for it!

Dream on bud

While on a recent buisness trip, scrolling through good 'ol craigslist. I found a BRAND NEW in the box, wraith spawn kit. This kit had EVERYTHING needed to build myself a rock racer. Here was the ad description:

Too many projects, and too little time for them all -SO- up for sale is my ALL NEW Axial Wraith Spawn Rock Racer builders kit that has been parked in my basement unfinished for too long. IN ADDITION to the chassis, EVERYTHING needed to complete the kit and go rock racing is INCLUDED and listed below:

-Axial assembly manual
-Wraith Spawn unpainted clear body, window masks, and decal sheet (and I'll throw-in red spray paint if you'd like).
-Holmes Hobbies brushless waterproof motor (Trailmaster Pro BL 540 3300KV)
-Holmes Hobbies waterproof ESC (Trailmaster BLE Pro)
-Castle Creations CC BE switching power regulator
-Savox SA-1231SG steering servo
-Axial servo horn
-Axial rear sway bar set (AX30782)
-BP Custom Chassis shock relocation and lowering kit
-BP Custom Chassis battery relocation tray
-Multiple Vanquish chassis parts, including stainless steel front and rear upper and lower links plus a titanium tie rod
-The multitude of extra parts typically included in Axial's builder kits
-Spektrum 3 channel transmitter
-Spektrum smart charger and two new (still in the box) 2S Lipo batteries
-$350

I knew what I had to do. I reached out, and a day later, I was the owner of the new wraith spawn kit!

Time to Build!

I have discovered that I love building these rigs. I have so much fun with each build! This one, being something that 17 year old me had always wanted to try. Now, The Axial Fest West 5k takes place on July 17th, and its not just a test of the machine, but also the driver. I am not a peak athlete, but I'm not heavily out of shape. I enjoy good beer, and good food, and I am moderately active. A 3 mile off-road race is no easy feat! I recognize that not only do I have to have the rig ready, but I have to be ready as well!
So, here is my game plan. Each week, I must go to the gym minimum of 3 days a week to work on the Wraith kit. Each work day can consist of one portion of the project. I.E 1 week-front axle, Next week-rear axle, and so on. This way, as the Wraith is built to tackle the event, I am doing my steps to insure, I am also ready for the event!

I want to disclose that there is a 90% chance I will not make the event. So, I have decided that on July 17th I will plan and run my own Ultra 5k where I live.

I cant wait to share the progress of build, and myself! I hope you guys join along! After the long winded intro. Lets get started!

Last edited by Tbrown; 01-15-2024 at 09:00 PM.
Tbrown is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 01-15-2024, 06:54 PM   #2
I wanna be Dave

Default Re: Wratih Spawn 5K Kit Build The Last NIB Wraith Kit?

ha ha ha hahaha cool
wraith are a blast to drive some of the parts are drying up though the ar60s are old news
ferp420 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2024, 08:15 PM   #3
Rock Stacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by ferp420 View Post
ha ha ha hahaha cool
wraith are a blast to drive some of the parts are drying up though the ar60s are old news
I am starting to see that! I just ordered some diff covers, and plan to grab some adjustable mounts. Any other recommendations on upgrades to have as I build?
Old 01-16-2024, 11:33 AM   #4
Rock Stacker

First Week Down!

I want to preface this with, I don't have a "weight goal" in mind for this challenge. This is solely to get myself into better condition for out door activities! I can put up a 6-8 mile hike in a day with no issues, but running is a whole other story. So, This week I hit some weights, and made an attempt to get in a under 10 minute mile. Should be easy right? WRONG! My first attempt led to less than stellar results, however, throughout the week. I have seen some improvement toward my goal!

I've also been making sure to get weights in as well!

So What's First?

Well, I've ordered a few small odds and ends to take advantage of this being a fresh build. Things like aluminum diff covers, steel trans gears, and the dig kit for the stock transmission. For now, I went ahead and used the MG chemicals waterproofing coating to get the receiver ready! Once I get my required gym time in this week, I am going to get the cage together with all the BP Custom goodness that came with the kit. So, I will update you guys at the end of the week!

Old 01-16-2024, 11:51 AM   #5
I wanna be Dave

I actually still have one of these kits unopened. Maybe I'll get around ot it this year.
soze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2024, 12:23 PM   #6

Very cool to find a new Wraith kit with BP Custom parts.
JatoTheRipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2024, 04:31 PM   #7
Rock Stacker

Small steps

Well, I don't plan to flood this build with each workout, but I will provide the personal wins and goals. I was able to get the three days in at the gym, with a goal of running a sub 10 minute mile. While I did struggle heavily with this, I gave it my all and hit a 9:12 mile. Now, here is the next challenge.... Consistently hit a sub 10 minute mile. If I can get that for all 3 miles while training, I'll be happy!

Let's get this build started

First off, I built the front axle. I used the upgrades that were included with the kit. Vanquish parts are nice.. very nice! I am back and forth on getting aluminum link mounts, but Time will tell, I'd hate to see the axle housing crack because of the stress going else where. Let me know what you guys recommend! This build will 100% be a rock racer build.

Anyway, front axle together, and if I can hit my goal this coming week, I'll hit the rear axle! Talk with you guys next week!
Old 02-11-2024, 01:40 PM   #8
Rock Stacker

Still Going Strong!

Figured I should post an update. Since we've last talked, I've still been getting to the gym 3-4 days a week, and have gotten several things done on the Wraith! I am excited to see the progress in the rig, and myself. I have been focusing on strength, so I really need to make the switch to cardio and endurance. In due time! So, what did we get done to the Wraith?

Roll Cage

Three Weeks ago I started on the cage, and had it together in my wrenching session. I installed the BP Customs shock relocations, and the battery tray. I also went ahead and installed the rear sway bar as well.

Wait a second, those aren't AR60s?!

So, I ended up getting the kit AR60s together. Then, I saw them.. A set of very used SSD Diamond AR60s. Listen, I love SSD axles. I think they look awesome, the fitment is always great, and I love the quality. From the OG Dana60s to the AR44 dana 44s they sell. With this being a KOH/Rock racer build. It only made sense that it has diamond axles right? After some bartering, we agreed on a price and some other items to make it what I considered a fair deal. The thing is, this is a BRAND NEW kit, and these axles were very very used.

Everybody's working for the weekend?

After they arrived I proceeded to strip them completely. This included the paint. First, I hit them with a soft brass wire wheel to knock down most the paint and large gouges. Then I used a scotch brite wheel to get the rest of the paint and smoothed them up

Much Better

After some elbow grease, and paint, I think they turned out much better! They are now ready for me to gouge them up! I swapped over the knuckles and hubs that came with the original purchase of the kit, and mane do they look GOOD.

For what I plan to do with these, they turned out great!
We are rolling into the next week, and after I get in my workouts for the week, I will be building the transmission, and installing dig. After that's done, the next session will be putting all the pieces together. Thank you for those watching the build! I am having a blast doing it, and hope that MAYBE I can be at Axial Fest West. I am doubtful due to life, but it's the motivation for building this rig, and working out to improve myself along side it, so a guy can dream!

I will talk with you all next week!
Old 03-05-2024, 06:51 PM   #9
Rock Stacker

It's the thought that counts

Time to Update

Hello, Hello, I am inconsistence in the updates, BUT! I have been pretty consistent with my goals! I've had some gains, I've had some wins, and losses but we are trucking along!
One of my best highlights was last weekend, Ended up hiking 7 miles on Friday, 5 miles on Saturday, and 4 miles on Sunday! I felt really good at the end of each day. No knee or back pain after stacking rocks guiding the big jeeps through some rock crawling!

3 Mile run 37:20, not amazing but I am proud!

Spotting Big Jeeps on Big rocks!

Rig Update

I did get the transmission together. I installed the axial metal gear kit, as well as the dig kit, now I will mount the electronics I.E. Motor, shift servo. Then it goes onto the skid!

All together, and hopefully ready for use!

I am going to try and keep up! I have seen progress in myself and I am stoked! I cant wait for the first test rip with the rig and myself!
'Till next time!
Old 04-11-2024, 12:03 PM   #10
Rock Stacker

Well That Escalated Quickly

Drivetrain

I will be honest, after the photo I did not take any photos of progress. I got the drivetrain together. I installed the included Holmes hobby brushless system. Then, mounted the cage as well. I discovered how hard it is to wire up a wraith.... It is SO tight in the cage to get everything in there!

Now, I decided to just push to finish the rig from there. I rushed on the body, and totally messed it up. The original game plan was yellow and red, and inspired by the European offroad rally style rigs. Sadly, the duratrax yellow I bought sprayed on horribly. So I backed it with black to hide my mistakes.
The tape job was bad, and it all bleed on all the lines too. So, we are going to chalk this hard to find body up for a loss.

First Run!

Here we are! The first run! I had alot of fun getting out for this! Overall the run was about 1.5 miles. I felt great, and the rig did well! I did have an issue with the sway bar arms falling off. I need to get some lock tight on the threads and that should solve that. The Holmes hobby system is a ripper, and the rig crawled pretty well! Time to get in some miles, and shake down the issues out of it!

Those axles didn't stay all nice and shiny long. This is what it was built for though!

Now, this won't be the end of the page. I still plan to post progress as I take it out. I still have a long way to go physically as well! I hope you've enjoyed reading the build. I have like 6 others going as we speak. Maybe I will share them here, to hopefully keep this cool website alive.
Old 04-11-2024, 02:59 PM   #11
Quarry Creeper

Nice rig!!

I have mine Wraith kit since 2012, and is by far the best crawler that I own
Taper is offline   Reply With Quote

Wratih Spawn 5K Kit Build The Last NIB Wraith Kit? - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Wraith Spawn Kit Build Up tc1 Axial Wraith 34 01-20-2018 01:47 AM
RichMTB01's Wraith Spawn KIT Build RichMTB01 Axial Wraith 0 05-13-2015 08:35 AM