Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs Brand Specific Tech > Axial Brand Scale Rock Crawlers > Axial Wraith

Notices

Thread: Flash sale Spawn

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-13-2022, 07:28 PM   #21
Quarry Creeper

Default Re: Flash sale Spawn

I went ahead and pulled the trigger on a Holmes crawlmaster 550 10t. It showed up today and I got it broken in and installed. The longer motor hit the rear link mount on the skid. I had a 3mm spacer in the parts bin so I tossed that under the trans and it clears fine.

Running the same 13t pinion and the speed on 3s is back where I wanted it. Still crawls nice and smooth. Now I just need not 100° temps so I can go run it.
bgredjeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 06-19-2022, 06:41 AM   #22

The sale got me also. Picked up a Honcho

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Toyota1451 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2022, 03:09 PM   #23
Quarry Creeper

I'm not much for scale accessories, but I decided to print some inner fenders to try on the wraith. Just an stl I downloaded from thingiverse, but they worked pretty well. They weren't designed to work with the front battery plate I made so I just trimmed them down to fit.

The same guy made a nice looking rear inner fender, but they won't match the flipped rear shock mount so I can't use them. I might try to remix that drawing this weekend if I'm bored.

I also loaded all my wraith designs to my thingiverse in case anyone was interested in something I shared here.

https://www.thingiverse.com/bgredjp/designs

Old 07-03-2022, 01:53 PM   #24
Quarry Creeper

And just like that...

I modified the rear fenders and printed a set. Not my best work, but editing existing stl files is kind of a pain. I'm happy with the result.

I painted them all with some satin black I had. I'm hoping the color flattens a bit more when the paint is fully dried, but once it gets dirty it won't matter.

Old 07-17-2022, 02:15 PM   #25
Quarry Creeper

The wraith got a hand me down servo upgrade today. Dmond chi-com servo, but a big step up from the tactic.

While I had it opened up a snapped a pic of the new motor I installed a couple weeks ago.

Old 07-29-2022, 07:55 AM   #26
Quarry Creeper

Wraith got some new wheels today. These were on my injora bouncer, and anodized orange. I wasn't digging the orange so I pulled them apart and painted them. After paint, I decided they were going on the wraith instead of the bouncer. I just like the wraith more so it gets the upgrade. Lol

Old 09-09-2022, 07:24 AM   #27
Quarry Creeper

Yesterday I drew up my first skid plate for the wraith. Decided to try a drop skid like I've seen from high altitude. It hangs down about 1mm less than the stock skid, but its lower at the sides so we'll see if that gives me any issues.

The side plates are just templates, but I assembled it to see how everything fit while I wait for some aluminum I ordered. They will be .090" 6061 when I'm finished.

Old 09-15-2022, 01:14 PM   #28
Quarry Creeper

Finished up the skid plate today. I also made a new servo/link mount for the axle. It came out pretty good. I'm going to try running it this weekend to see how it works with the changes.

Here's a few progress and finished shots.

Old 09-16-2022, 02:07 PM   #29
Quarry Creeper

Forgot the overall finished view. I also uploaded this one to thingiverse.

https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:5515924/files

Old 09-20-2022, 06:58 AM   #30
Quarry Creeper

I got to test out the changes this weekend. It was just a bunch of small man made obstacles, but it worked well.

I need to look at some trimming on the hood. It was catching on the tires a good bit. I'll have to see if I can make it clear without making it look bad.

The only issue I had was that my servo draws too many amps for the esc70 bec. I bound it up and the esc basically shut down until i freed up the steering. I've got a castle bec on the way. Internal bec is 3amp rated and the dmond can pull close to 5 under max load. At least I'll be able to put 8.4v to it.

No good pictures were taken. I was too busy driving.
Old 09-23-2022, 10:50 AM   #31
Quarry Creeper

Bec issue is taken care of. I was hoping I could fit the castle bec in the receiver box but there wasn't room to fit that and the wires. Either way it came out pretty clean. Quick test confirmed no more tripping the esc up when I jam the servo.

Old 01-07-2023, 08:30 PM   #32
Quarry Creeper

I picked up a different servo to try out on this rig. I liked the dmond, but wanted to try switching to direct power so I picked up the 65kg version. I'm only running 3s so I'm not getting the max from it, but I could tell it's stronger than the 50kg I was running.

I took it out crawling today. Before now I had only really done trail rides with it. Nothing technical. Well the drag brake on my esc70 let me down for crawling. It basically won't hold on a hill at all. It controls a descent, but even maxed out it wouldn't hold the car still or even close to it. I'm going to try one of my 1040 escs to make sure it's not the motor that doesn't want to hold. After that I'll decide if it's going to get a 1080, or maybe a new Fusion se.

Other than the brakes it ran great.

Finally got some scratches on the new skid
Old 01-07-2023, 11:01 PM   #33
Rock Crawler

Man, the Spawn is looking great man!

I hope you get the drag brake stuff figured out.

The Spawn is still one of those rigs I want
AK KRAWLER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2023, 08:58 PM   #34
Quarry Creeper

After some more testing and adjusting settings trying to get the isdt esc70 drag brake to work worth a crap, I finally got it sorted out today.

Seriously though, based on what some other users have said about the drag brake on their isdt, I presume mine's just broken as no matter how I set it, the brakes would not hold the rig still on even a slight hill. I got the fusion pro installed and it's instantly better right out of the box. No changes from how it shipped and the drag brake held perfectly on my little test hill (trailer fender) I've been using.
Old 01-20-2023, 06:22 PM   #35
Quarry Creeper

Today's project, a new bed for the wraith. I was going to just add a floor between the printed fenders I made before. Took it a bit further and made the whole aluminum bed instead. It came out pretty nice.

Old 01-22-2023, 06:29 PM   #36
Quarry Creeper

Well, it's been a crappy rainy day and I got bored. Decided to take this trunk idea a bit further.

First, I took my paper template from the first design and modified it a bit.

Once i had that I drew it up in Fusion and did some test bending with the sheet metal tools. Printed out the template and started on the new version. Is kind of a pain to cut out the more complex bed, but between the band saw, dremel, and scissors I managed to hack it out.

Started bending

I used the printed fenders I had before as a guide for the shape. A few rivets lock it together

And installed. I had to take off the roof, shock mount, and the rear of the cage to install it, but it fit really well.

Old 01-23-2023, 08:25 AM   #37
RCC Addict

Wow, when I saw the modified pattern I thought to myself, certainly you won’t be making this in a monolithic piece, the notching is going to suck. Then you did it, props to you for that. Respect earned. Looking good. How thick is the aluminum?
MAC FAB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2023, 10:36 AM   #38
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by MAC FAB View Post
Wow, when I saw the modified pattern I thought to myself, certainly you won’t be making this in a monolithic piece, the notching is going to suck. Then you did it, props to you for that. Respect earned. Looking good. How thick is the aluminum?
Thanks sir. I had second and third thoughts about it, but i did it anyway. Lol.

I might do one more just to make it a little cleaner some day. I figured I'd make sure it actually worked and fit before trying to make it perfect.

The material is thin at .019" so just under .5mm. It's really easy to work with as far as bending. I don't think I'd want this for anything that's going to take an impact, but its pretty solid for an interior part once I got it all shaped up.
Old 01-27-2023, 04:56 PM   #39
Quarry Creeper

New panel set came in and I got the sides installed. Based on the fit I had to adjust my bed design a little. I had some pretty wide gaps on the sides so I widened it a bit.

For now I left the spawn hood on. Not sure if I'll use the aluminum one or not as I like the look. I still need to install the roof.

Old 01-27-2023, 07:42 PM   #40
I wanna be Dave

Those are styled like the good ol' Carter Fabrications panels... Nice looking!
durok is offline   Reply With Quote

Flash sale Spawn - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Horizon Flash sale twade984 Axial RR10 Bomber 133 06-18-2022 12:08 AM
Ventures on flash sale! jason02ws6 HPI Venture 3 11-05-2019 07:54 AM