Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler Brand Specific Tech > Heritage Crawlers > Axial XR10

Notices

Thread: Badger's XR10 build

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-14-2010, 09:49 AM   #81
Quarry Creeper

Wow can't wait to get my hands on the XR10.
MexicanMarauder is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 08-15-2010, 06:17 PM   #82
Rock Crawler

Sweet build looking foreward to mine landing on the doorstep..
WarTrader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2010, 02:44 AM   #83
Pebble Pounder

I love the little pictures on the box for suggested terrain and speed.
Planespotter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2010, 11:09 AM   #84
Pebble Pounder

How did the body hold up without a cut out for the steering servo? Did it bind up with the body very much or is it just mild twisting in the hood? Just wondered since everyone seems to be doing the cut out..
311WJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2010, 11:47 AM   #85
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by 311WJ View Post
How did the body hold up without a cut out for the steering servo? Did it bind up with the body very much or is it just mild twisting in the hood? Just wondered since everyone seems to be doing the cut out..
By looking at all the builds I would say body height is the biggest factor in deciding on to cut or not. Higher body you would probably be fine, but if u want to slam the body trimming it is inevitable to get proper articulation.
DRCrawlGood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2010, 01:46 PM   #86
Ex Nor-CalRCRC slave

Quote:
Originally Posted by DRCrawlGood View Post
By looking at all the builds I would say body height is the biggest factor in deciding on to cut or not. Higher body you would probably be fine, but if u want to slam the body trimming it is inevitable to get proper articulation.
I'm going to try to come out with a body mount kit that will hopefully let you mount the body low and let the body swing side to side, so cutting for servo clearance won't be needed. I'll have to wait to get my kit first to see if it's feasible.
gunnar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2010, 03:26 PM   #87
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by gunnar View Post
I'm going to try to come out with a body mount kit that will hopefully let you mount the body low and let the body swing side to side, so cutting for servo clearance won't be needed. I'll have to wait to get my kit first to see if it's feasible.
Thats a grand idea if feasible.
Old 08-16-2010, 07:31 PM   #88
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by 311WJ View Post
Fine, no obstruction under flex.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gunnar View Post
The stock body mount system already allows this. You also have the option to do a single mount in the back just like the front as they supply enough additional parts for this.
dpdsurf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2010, 07:42 PM   #89
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by dpdsurf View Post
Fine, no obstruction under flex.

The stock body mount system already allows this. You also have the option to do a single mount in the back just like the front as they supply enough additional parts for this.
Thats good to know, but the question is why are people still hacking their hoods up then?
Old 08-16-2010, 07:50 PM   #90
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by DRCrawlGood View Post
Thats good to know, but the question is why are people still hacking their hoods up then?
I think they were running the bodies slammed and a lower belly height at AWCC. Now that they're finding these to run better with higher belly clearance it's not needed so much. I think brandon or bender mentioned that somewhere anyway.
Old 08-18-2010, 09:46 AM   #91
Diggin' the new SCX10 II!

I added the parts/specs list and created a table of contents in my first post of this tread with links to all of my posts with pics or important tech posts to make it easier to find.
badger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2010, 11:42 AM   #92
Pebble Pounder

Default Nova foams?

Great info, badger. Thanks!

What size Nova foams did you use? They have a lot of options on their website.
mdowney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2010, 10:01 PM   #93
I wanna be Dave

Default Follow up

I've been out of town for a few days and didn't have time to report on my comp and experience last weekend.

I went to a casual local comp that NBRCC put on up in Santa Rosa, CA. There were about 30 drivers there. On my first course I quickly realized that in a comp situation I was not used to this rig. Of course my adrenaline was a little out control as all eyes were on me for the first run. I managed to finish the course on life support and moved on to the 2nd course.

By course 2 I had settled into more of a rhythm and was able to tune into what the rig was doing. I definitely need to work on the suspension as it unloaded surprisingly in some areas. I was once again a gate magnet but managed to finish the course.

When I lined up for the 3rd course only one driver had finished the course so far. There were 5 out 10 gates that were pretty tough and any one of them could be hit. I managed to walk clean through the first 5 gates (one of them that many had hit) and was feeling pretty good. I ended up hitting 2 silly gates as it was all my error, but finished the course.

So it was not the best day for me but I was one of only 4 or so to complete all 3 courses. Tire setup was a huge issue. We really didn't take the proper time to dial in the foams. We added air vents to the wheels but it's still not right and the rig was bouncing all over the place and traction was a challenge.

After the comp a few of us were driving this crazy crack climb where at the 1/2 way point you had to use rear dig to push it through the crack. While I was doing this I heard a really load SNAP and that was it, rear axle broken. In my case the driver rear wheel was hanging down and the passenger was receiving the most strain.

Upon taking the axle apart both the drive and final drive gears were missing teeth. The final drive had one full tooth missing along with a couple of teeth only 1/2 way missing on the passenger side.

I spoke to Brandon at Axial and later read Brandon's post and blog on this very same issue that the German's were having. I immediately inspected the housing and noticed that it had a small bur in the plastic and a slight pin hole. Evidence that at one time the wrong screw had been inserted.

I had already built the axle 3 times. Once on RCCTV, then tore it down for photos and re-built. When badger and I finally finished it and tested it there was a clicking in the rear axle when under any strain. I tore it apart again, carefully inspected and re-built it again while carefully following the instructions. After that it worked fine without issue in my initial testing and for 3 comp courses and some test drives by a bew of the locals last Sunday. So I am 99% certain that the correct screw was in when it failed, but that small burr did not allow the bearing to fully seat therefore causing the failure.

Axial sent me new gears.

I first sanded the burr down to insure that the bearing was sitting flush. I used the Dremel manually (did not turn on) to do this as I did not want to remove too much material too fast.

It's nice and flush now.

While I was at it I decided to use Brandon's tech tip. I had already found this to be a nuisance in my several disassemblies so this is a great idea.

I liked this e-clip tool so much badger let me take it home.

There have been some rumblings about the triangles on the idler gears having some significance. I don't think there is as the instructions show it one way on the front axle and the other on the rear. The slot accepts the pin freely on either side.

In closing up the housing I paid close attention to the screw types. Pay special attention to AXA465!

You also want to give a little more torque than you would think on these two.

After getting it all back together I immediately bound up the rear pretty good and gave it the throttle. So far so good.

So I have to say that Brandon completely nailed the diagnosis of this problem in an extrememly timely manor! So don't be like me and screw-up when building your axles!
Old 08-23-2010, 05:27 AM   #94
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by dpdsurf View Post

There have been some rumblings about the triangles on the idler gears having some significance. I don't think there is as the instructions show it one way on the front axle and the other on the rear. The slot accepts the pin freely on either side.

the slots in the not marked side are 0.4mm deeper
EGRESSor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2010, 12:55 AM   #95
I wanna be Dave

I did not get that great of a measurement, maybe .1

But it's best to just follow as shown in the instructions and you should have no worries.
Old 08-27-2010, 01:49 AM   #96
I wanna be Dave

I finally got around to uploading some video from my first run with this thing. Sorry about the wind noise (not really), my free movie maker program didn't seam to be able to filter that out, and I wanted you to hear the rig in action.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T1limtbGMNw

Last edited by dpdsurf; 08-27-2010 at 09:31 AM.
Old 08-27-2010, 01:57 AM   #97
RCC Addict

nice thing
Old 08-27-2010, 08:23 AM   #98
TN State Champ 11,12,13

Dammit where is mine

I love the jump at the end.
Pdog7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2010, 12:06 AM   #99
I wanna be Dave

Default Update

After binding it up several times to see how much abuse it could take, a couple of blown bearings caused the small transfer gear to fail. Possibly bushings could be the answer if you're going to be this hard on the rig.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J_NBC8ELiQY

Old 08-31-2010, 12:10 AM   #100
RCC Addict

the flanged from the aluminium plate?

LinkBacks (?)
LinkBack to this Thread: http://www.rccrawler.com/forum/axial-xr10/263295-badgers-xr10-build.html
Posted By For Type Date
AX90017 Axial XR10 - 1/10th Scale Electric 4WD Rock Crawler Competition Kit - Pagina 16 - Scalers & Crawlers This thread Refback 03-05-2013 03:34 PM