Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler Brand Specific Tech > Heritage Crawlers > Axial XR10

Notices

Thread: Badger's XR10 build

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-31-2010, 12:15 AM   #101
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by EGRESSor View Post
the flanged from the aluminium plate?
Correct, 2 of them. All the standard bearings, 1 on the shaft and 3 in the other 1/2 of the case were fine.
dpdsurf is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 08-31-2010, 12:38 AM   #102
RCC Addict

you should drill the plate out to 10mm
and use a 10x5 flanged, it´s way stronger
but it will work for the long shaft
may work for the bearing from the 30556 gear too , but i´m not sure about the distance to the screw
EGRESSor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2010, 01:16 AM   #103
TSK
Shelf queen

Quote:
may work for the bearing from the 30556 gear too , but i´m not sure about the distance to the screw
This sounds "tips & tricks" worthy
TSK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2010, 11:43 AM   #104
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Just ordered the bearings, thanks for the idea. I'm going to go with a 10x5x4 which is thicker than the stock 2.5 too. Hopefully it all fits ok, we'll see.
Old 08-31-2010, 12:31 PM   #105
Pebble Pounder

Default What size bearings?

I'd like to order some spare/replacement bearings now so I don't end up breaking one and being out of commission for several days while I wait for replacements to arrive.

Any chance one of you (dpdsurf ) could list out some of the more error-prone bearings that would be worth having on hand?

Any other spare parts worth pre-ordering? This is my first comp crawler so I plan to beat the crap out of it unintentionally.

Thanks!
mdowney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2010, 12:36 PM   #106
I wanna be Dave

Metal shield is what comes from the factory which makes the most sense. You're not going to get much dirt inside the gear box and they withstand heat better.

I just ordered these which is the stock size (5x8x2.5 flanged, 3 ea. per axle);
http://www.avidrc.com/product/8/metr...-bearings.html

I also ordered these for the shaft (going with ceramic made me feel better, I don't know if it's necessary though)(5x8x2.5, 1 ea. per axle) ;

...and after EGRESSor's sugestion, I just ordered these which will require drilling out the holes in the aluminum motor plate. (5x10x4 flanged, 3 ea. per axle);

Last edited by dpdsurf; 08-31-2010 at 12:58 PM.
Old 08-31-2010, 01:51 PM   #107
Pebble Pounder

Thank you, sir!
mdowney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2010, 12:23 PM   #108
I wanna be Dave

Default Almost readyfor Nats

I've been scrambling to get this thing ready for Nats this week. One thing that was nagging me was the lower links with 3mm rod ends. The stock links are good but do not stand the test of time with my abusive driving. I've broken 3 rod ends so far. I have found that 4mm Revo rod ends on lower links are almost bullet proof. The only time I ever broke one is when I was carrying my rig and took a tumble and instinctively I through my rig about 20'. I also have all aluminum upper links now. Over time the stock plastic links got a little too flexy for my liking.

For the lower links I am using Lunsford TI rock grinders.

The fronts are 125mm with a 30* bend in the front to accommodate the horizontal link mount unique to the front axle. They are bent 30*+ at the main bend. (The rod end that mounts to the axle had to be shaved a little to fit.) Total i2i = 137mm

The rears are 130mm bent 45* at the main bend. I also added the 30* lower bend here as well so it ramps up at the motor better. Total i2i = 137mm

Wheelbase is exactly 12.5" measured per USRCCA rules.

I also made a new electronics tray to get everything as low as possible.

I had to grind my electronic tray a little more due to the extreme bend in the rear links pushing them up further.

I really like the stance and it's breaking over things it was hanging up on with ease now.

Last edited by dpdsurf; 09-06-2010 at 12:40 PM.
Old 09-06-2010, 01:11 PM   #109
RCC Addict

Nice job on those links man.
meffie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2010, 08:43 PM   #110
Im Brandon

Looking good Dave! See you at nats
Brandon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2010, 10:37 PM   #111
Ex Nor-CalRCRC slave

What are them thar body mounts? (I gotta get off my ass and get the XR-10 mount kit ready now)
gunnar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2010, 12:46 AM   #112
Uli
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by gunnar View Post
I gotta get off my ass and get the XR-10 mount kit ready now
Uli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2010, 12:50 AM   #113
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
What are them thar body mounts? (I gotta get off my ass and get the XR-10 mount kit ready now)
They're yours Very nice gunnar, you don't charge enough for that big kit of parts.
Old 09-07-2010, 01:00 AM   #114
Ex Nor-CalRCRC slave

The Ti links look nice, I'm going to experiment with some different bends myself. My "10" is mostly done, just have to make up the elec. tray(sorta like yours, much easier to fab) I'll figure out a few different kinds of mount kits next week. The stock mounts are cool, but just too many little parts to mess with. My bad luck, the little rubber plug for the rear axle was not in my kit
Old 09-07-2010, 01:07 AM   #115
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
The Ti links look nice, I'm going to experiment with some different bends myself. My "10" is mostly done, just have to make up the elec. tray(sorta like yours, much easier to fab) I'll figure out a few different kinds of mount kits next week. The stock mounts are cool, but just too many little parts to mess with. My bad luck, the little rubber plug for the rear axle was not in my kit
Thanks

The cutting break plug is plastic and there are two of them on one of the plastic parts trees.
Old 09-07-2010, 01:26 AM   #116
Ex Nor-CalRCRC slave

Quote:
Originally Posted by dpdsurf View Post
Thanks

The cutting break plug is plastic and there are two of them on one of the plastic parts trees.
Yea, just looked at the manual, my rear axle cases were loose in the bag when I opened my kit, I did not find the parts tree-AX80065. no biggie, just a small piece of tape to cover it. Actually, a number of the larger parts were loose from the trees, I think someone shook the hell out of the box before it went on the boat
Old 09-07-2010, 01:58 PM   #117
I wanna be Dave

Exclamation

Hey everyone just a heads up that I pulled both of the axles apart last night to give them one more inspection before Nats. The rear was in great shape and I reassembled.

The front had not been touched since the initial build. It was also working and sounding smooth. But upon inspection to my surprise the same two bearings that gave out in the rear were gone. Hopefully the Avid bearings are of more quality but when I return home I will be adding the 10mm bearings for sure. They look huge next to the 8's. I couldn't find a 10mm drill bit anywhere so I couldn't do the mod in time.

EDIT: One more thing, after the bearing gives out on the drive gear shaft it makes it so the new bearing does not easiliy slide over the shaft. I placed the shaft in my drill and took some 600 sand paper to it and then polished it with a green scotch brite pad.

Last edited by dpdsurf; 09-07-2010 at 02:05 PM.
Old 09-07-2010, 02:01 PM   #118
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by dpdsurf View Post
Hey everyone just a heads up that I pulled both of the axles apart last night to give them one more inspection before Nats. The rear was in great shape and I reassembled.

The front had not been touched since the initial build. It was also working and sounding smooth. But upon inspection to my surprise the same two bearings that gave out in the rear were gone. Hopefully the Avid bearings are of more quality but when I return home I will be adding the 10mm bearings for sure. They look huge next to the 8's. I couldn't find a 10mm drill bit anywhere so I couldn't do the mod in time.
good advice
fa1rch1ld is offline   Reply With Quote

LinkBacks (?)
LinkBack to this Thread: http://www.rccrawler.com/forum/axial-xr10/263295-badgers-xr10-build.html
Posted By For Type Date
AX90017 Axial XR10 - 1/10th Scale Electric 4WD Rock Crawler Competition Kit - Pagina 16 - Scalers & Crawlers This thread Refback 03-05-2013 03:34 PM