Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler Brand Specific Tech > Heritage Crawlers > Axial XR10

Notices

Thread: Axial XR10 Tips & Tricks

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-04-2011, 03:48 PM   #81
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Norris View Post
Zip ties from shock cup to spring won't do any good. The spring has an open end and will work it's way out of the zip tie.
You need to close the opening in the spring cup. If your cup don't have slots or holes in them, make some. Then run the zip tie from one hole to the other to close the opening in the cup and you won't lose the cup unless the zip tie breaks.
Or you could just unass some money and buy some hi quality C cups.
bigflex is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 02-06-2011, 09:17 PM   #82
I wanna be Dave

i have a set of JeepinDoug spring retainers. they are solid an work perfectly. check them out, on rcc. .
stelerzman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2011, 10:00 PM   #83
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by slowngreen View Post
Thought Id post this for anyone running Dirty Harry's up front but wishing their track width wasnt narrower. I switched out my hex' to some CKRC's and lost over a 1/4".

http://www.ckrccrawlers.com/ckrc-alu...t2-p-2539.html

I wouldn't mind narrowing my width. Does losing the nopple/ extruded portion of the stock hex have any down side like making that joint less rigid?
Frank Rizzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2011, 11:59 PM   #84
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank Rizzo View Post
I wouldn't mind narrowing my width. Does losing the nopple/ extruded portion of the stock hex have any down side like making that joint less rigid?
Really the only thing that is good for is centering the wheel on the hex. So loosing it isn't a real issue.
calikingcrawler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2011, 03:01 AM   #85
Rock Crawler

If you have a punk dig and want to utilize the stock electronics tray and box, this mod will save you a ton of room. Thanks to Scott and Don Hughes for doing it first and showing it to me

TEAM DEBEAD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2011, 07:53 PM   #86
RCC Addict

That is a nice write up.

Wes
brazwewn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2011, 11:44 AM   #87

A Big thanks for this tip i really hated the stock screws. but i used 4-40 1" worked for me again Thanks for this tip

Quote:
Originally Posted by ManiacMagoo View Post
If you strip out your wheels bead lock screws 4-40 X 1 1/4 stainless steel counter sunk screws work great

DieHard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2011, 12:44 AM   #88

[/QUOTE]

I'm wondering why this was mentioned twice here, but the fact that you have to tighten the hell out of the screws (especially the two lowest screws in this picture) till they almost strip was never mentioned here. If you don't tighten them enough, in the first 2 min of crawling, you will cause final drive gear failure. I heard of this happening too many times, the 2 axle halfs need to be sandwiched tight for proper final gear tooth contact. Also, when assembling the 2 halfs, shave a little plastic off in the final gear area where the two halfs touch or make sure there is no imperfections or extra plastic there for a tight fit.
crawlitreal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2011, 10:00 AM   #89

cant wait to get my truck!!!
vdubfiend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2011, 08:43 PM   #90

One thing I noticed that I haven't seen mentioned:

If you lengthen the rear steering links a bit and run a few degrees of toe in you can come closer to a "0 ackerman" steering by making the outer wheel parallel to the inner at full turn. Which essentially gives you more steering.
flynlow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2011, 01:03 AM   #91
Quarry Creeper

Quick question.

Does anybody have the dimensions of the receiver box? I want a receiver that will fit inside of it.
Mides is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2011, 02:14 PM   #92

Futaba R2104 fits with room to spare, Spektrum sr300 fits too. Don't have dimensions of the box.
salty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2011, 05:10 PM   #93
Pebble Pounder

i have no problem fitting my punk dig as shown a few posts earlier, and my receiver. (hobby king 2.4)
aircooled67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2011, 08:15 PM   #94
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by NicholasMides View Post
Quick question.

Does anybody have the dimensions of the receiver box? I want a receiver that will fit inside of it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by salty View Post
Futaba R2104 fits with room to spare, Spektrum sr300 fits too. Don't have dimensions of the box.
Quote:
Originally Posted by aircooled67 View Post
i have no problem fitting my punk dig as shown a few posts earlier, and my receiver. (hobby king 2.4)

Best receiver box tip of all guys:

Throw it in the garbage.
It just complicates your rig and is totally unnecessary. Either buy Axials aftermarket electronics tray, or BWD's, or make one from lexan or scrap plastic.
You will thank me in the long run
Rig Rocker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2011, 03:48 PM   #95

Agree with Rig Rocker... I would get rid of (and have already done so) the stock rx box, and where it is suppose to go. So many more/better options. I just know that it will fit, if you choose to do it that way.
salty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2011, 04:44 PM   #96

Thank for this write up, love the management on punk dig, i will do that this way!!!
alextronique is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2011, 08:02 AM   #97
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rig Rocker View Post
Best receiver box tip of all guys:
You will thank me in the long run
Thank you.
Mides is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2011, 10:51 PM   #98

There are some good ideas here.
JRW7072009 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2011, 07:19 PM   #99
Quarry Creeper

OK ... i have searched and searched, no luck . I just bought a xr10 kit and the hobby shop owner as well as a few of the crawlers said that I should get rid of the stock bearings and replace them with either the after market bushings or over sized bearings . That they break down and ruin the gears. I should also replace the motor plate. I called axial and ckrc and was told that , that had been a issue on some of the rigs but not so much any more. I have 2 ax 10 now and never any issues with them . I also trust the shop owner. Are any of you having a problem with the stock bearings ? I have not read anything in here that says any one is . Help me please.
BUGGYBOY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2011, 07:49 PM   #100
Quarry Creeper

Ok now it figures, I find this.. however now , what if any additional input do you have ?

Transmission Bearings:
The upper portion of the transmission uses 5x8x2.5mm bearings. Issues with the stock bearings used in the transmission have been apparent since the release of the XR10. The included bearings are not very high quality they are also fairly small due to tight clearances and manufacturing processes used to create other parts of the transmission. Since these bearings are small a high quality bearing needs to be used to hold up, however there is another option. Bushings can be used in place of bearings. This may seem contrary to popular thought but while they may have more drag than a bearing they will not fail on you. IMPORTANT NOTE – If you plan on changing your transmission housing and motor plate to units with oversized bearing this upgrade is NOT NEEEDED.

BUGGYBOY is offline   Reply With Quote