Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler Brand Specific Tech > Heritage Crawlers > Axial XR10

Notices

Thread: Locked Up's XR10 build

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-09-2010, 03:48 PM   #41
RCC Addict

When I let people test my setup..Running 4pk and dual FXR, they always ask
what I'm running because they cant believe how smooth it is...Curious to see
the castle stuff if its even smoother...
fa1rch1ld is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 09-09-2010, 05:48 PM   #42
SCALE PERFORMANCE PARTS

With the new software it acts more like my scaler. Once I get on some rocks I'll be able to better test it in down hill and bind situations. It's going to be hard to compare my scaler with a 10t puller and the sidewinder to the XR10 with dual FXRs, but I'm gonna try.

Anyone that has not gotten a Hotwire and updated is killing themselves.

Last edited by Locked Up; 05-26-2011 at 11:54 AM.
Locked Up is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2010, 06:14 PM   #43
Rock Crawler

Nice xr!
Tklan Crawler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2010, 01:13 AM   #44
SCALE PERFORMANCE PARTS

Thanks.

By the way,
If you have an FXR and the hotwire, it won't manually download the update.

You can look here:Vegas 208 update and download the update. Then you will get to reinstall the hotwire software and you'll see additional slider bars, etc.

Got a lot done to the XR10 today. Will have pics in the morning.
Old 09-12-2010, 04:20 PM   #45
SCALE PERFORMANCE PARTS

Pics as promised.

I got a few holes popped in for breathers:

I also got some longer links put in the rear and shorter in the front. I always try to load as much weight up front as I can so I always run a 60/40 setup. I had some old bent links from my wheel king days that fit right in for the lower rears. the upper rears are the Axial 30* bent links with a small spacer. Fronts are obvious but I did throw on some shorter rod ends.

Only problem there is the longer links meant my rear shocks laid down a bit too much. My solution was to make some slightly longer upper shock mounts out of aluminum plate.

The wheelbase is not at 12.25 static and pushed out exactly to 12.5 max, so as far as I am concerned it is perfect.

Here is where I got into trouble.
I mean to take the stock center plate and keep all my electronics on it. I had a few ideas rolling around in my head about how to do it all, and one of them involved shortening the rear of the plate and mounting my RX up high. I decided against that, then proceeded to stupidly cut the back of the plate off. I blame LSU football for distracting me.

Anyway, I had to rebuild a plate of some sort, so until I get my hands on another stock nylon plate, I will have to make due with some styrene.
Old 09-12-2010, 04:25 PM   #46
SCALE PERFORMANCE PARTS

Pics as promised.

I got a few holes popped in for breathers:

I also got some longer links put in the rear and shorter in the front. I always try to load as much weight up front as I can so I always run a 60/40 setup. I had some old bent links from my wheel king days that fit right in for the lower rears. The upper rears are the Axial 30* bent links with a small spacer. Fronts are obvious but I did throw on some shorter rod ends.

Only problem there is the longer links meant my rear shocks laid down a bit too much. My solution was to make some slightly longer upper shock mounts out of aluminum plate.

The wheelbase is now at 12.25 static and pushes out exactly to 12.5 max.

Here is where I got into trouble.
I meant to keep the stock center plate and put all my electronics on it. I had a few ideas rolling around in my head about how to do it all, and one of them involved shortening the rear of the plate and mounting my RX up high. I decided against that, then proceeded to stupidly cut the back of the plate off. I blame LSU football for distracting me.

Anyway, I had to rebuild a plate of some sort, so until I get my hands on another stock nylon plate, I will have to make due with some styrene.

I also got the wiring cleaned up a bit more since I have settled on a link configuration. I get to go into Austin this week for a project at work so I should get to do some harsh testing. I'll post up pics and such when I get back home.

Last edited by Locked Up; 09-12-2010 at 04:37 PM.
Old 09-14-2010, 10:07 PM   #47
SCALE PERFORMANCE PARTS

I got some real wheeling time on the rig tonight and I am impressed.

I hit a local Austin place that has a lot of large loose boulders so I had several opportunities to bind the axles up. I worked it for an hour solid and finally let off when the steering servo quit responding.

I must say it is very different from driving my shafty.
I am so used to all 4 tires turning at the same rate no matter what. Now when one axle gets bound the other still goes, it throws me off my line. I see myself using dig a lot more in those situations.

I also see myself going down to some 50t motors and dropping the rear pinion a tooth.

I almost had some carnage but it turns out I had forgotten to put the screws back in the front body mount holder, so it popped the front off and started flopping around (last pic below)f. Pretty funny once I figured it out.

Always a few extra parts when I reassemble it.

I did snap a few pictures...
http://www.noeither.com/rc/pictures/...9-14-20101.htm

And I am compiling the very little video I got as well. I'll post up a link when I get it done but it may not be until later this week. I'm hoping to get back out there Thursday and get some more shots.

Last edited by Locked Up; 09-14-2010 at 10:09 PM.
Old 09-15-2010, 01:05 AM   #48
Uli
Quarry Creeper

I very much like your homebrew extended rear shock mounts. I was thinking of something like that myself, since I like my shocks to be standing up more so they actually do their job as they are supposed to. Have you tried the rear without weight? I really like the rear rather lightweight with this truck. A bit work to get the rearshocks dialed in right - so the sidehilling doesn´t suffer too much - but I like it.
Uli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2010, 09:14 PM   #49
Rock Stacker

Itll never work... lol

Looking good Patrick.
FatGremlins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2010, 10:24 PM   #50
SCALE PERFORMANCE PARTS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uli View Post
I very much like your homebrew extended rear shock mounts. I was thinking of something like that myself, since I like my shocks to be standing up more so they actually do their job as they are supposed to. Have you tried the rear without weight? I really like the rear rather lightweight with this truck. A bit work to get the rearshocks dialed in right - so the sidehilling doesn´t suffer too much - but I like it.
Thanks. I was actually happy with the shocks on the stock setup but since I did the 60/40 I had to do something to get some vertical back in them.

I fooled around with no weight in the rear but it was lifting the rear tires fairly easily. Course, that was just on the bench.
Hopefully I'll get more test time with it tomorrow or Friday afternoon. I already have a bunch of changes I am considering.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FatGremlins View Post
Itll never work... lol

Looking good Patrick.
Thanks Wally.

I hope I learn how to drive it as well as I drove the AX10. That thing was like an extension of my mind I swear.

I'm actually still not liking the Rovers. I tried them a long time ago on my AX10 and they gave me issues then as well.
The sidewalls react so differently than my Panthers. Instead of allowing me some slip in certain bind situations, they grab hold and push me in the wrong direction. I may have to switch back just until I can get used to the other differences between the XR10 and my AX10. Then I can phase them back in ... or not.

Last edited by Locked Up; 09-15-2010 at 10:31 PM.
Old 09-17-2010, 02:32 PM   #51
Rock Stacker

The dig does take some getting used to due to the additionel function of just controlling the rear axle. Like cut the front, load the front, kindof like forcing the compression of the tires to gain traction to get over certain obstacles. Also you gain the ability to bump/drag the rear in either the left or right direction.

You'll definitely like the 4PK with all its mixing when you get there. Greg, Shane and Whoodie have it down to an art if you ever get a chance to just listen to what they say when they run lol.

The smaller pinion in the rear is a good choice which adds an overdrive feature to the front axle. Im currently running a 13t or 14t in my front axle and 12t in the rear and I love it.

Cant wait to see it run in January.
FatGremlins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2010, 08:01 PM   #52
SCALE PERFORMANCE PARTS

Quote:
Originally Posted by FatGremlins View Post
The dig does take some getting used to due to the additionel function of just controlling the rear axle. Like cut the front, load the front, kindof like forcing the compression of the tires to gain traction to get over certain obstacles. Also you gain the ability to bump/drag the rear in either the left or right direction.

You'll definitely like the 4PK with all its mixing when you get there. Greg, Shane and Whoodie have it down to an art if you ever get a chance to just listen to what they say when they run lol.

The smaller pinion in the rear is a good choice which adds an overdrive feature to the front axle. Im currently running a 13t or 14t in my front axle and 12t in the rear and I love it.

Cant wait to see it run in January.
Thanks Wally.

I got a little more time with it this afternoon @ Balcones before the sky opened up. Stupid rain.
I filmed some video which I should get up this weekend ... then I tried to see if I could break it. Kept wadding it up big time and trying to drive through it.
Got rolled over a few times and cut fwd/rev/fwd/rev/etc hard until it would right it self amongst those boulders on the other side of the path.

Stalled out the motor & servo a few times and scratched up my body nicely ... but still running like a champ.
Old 09-17-2010, 11:18 PM   #53
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Locked Up View Post
Thanks Wally.

I got a little more time with it this afternoon @ Balcones before the sky opened up. Stupid rain.
I filmed some video which I should get up this weekend ... then I tried to see if I could break it. Kept wadding it up big time and trying to drive through it.
Got rolled over a few times and cut fwd/rev/fwd/rev/etc hard until it would right it self amongst those boulders on the other side of the path.

Stalled out the motor & servo a few times and scratched up my body nicely ... but still running like a champ.

now this is good news!!! ..... sorry if i missed out on your thread but are you running stock bearings and gears on the axles?

its nice to hear that the xr-10 can take a beating and still be ok!

ive got me axles on the way and ive been trying to read on how to assemble the axles with the gears not crapping out!

cheers!!!
strawb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2010, 12:52 AM   #54
SCALE PERFORMANCE PARTS

Quote:
Originally Posted by strawb View Post
now this is good news!!! ..... sorry if i missed out on your thread but are you running stock bearings and gears on the axles?

its nice to hear that the xr-10 can take a beating and still be ok!

ive got me axles on the way and ive been trying to read on how to assemble the axles with the gears not crapping out!

cheers!!!
Stock bearings, yes.

I have only built the one, so I won't pretend to be an expert. However, I can tell you anything that I tightened down into a metal nut ... I made very, VERY snug.
Plastic will strip easily.
Metal can strip too if you go Godzilla tight but it's pretty easy to replace a nut.

(I'm waiting for the comments about replacing a nut)

got my first video up too:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p6yugG3kQik

It came out OK I think.
Next time to Austin I'll try to hit Barton Creek if it's not "wet".

Last edited by Locked Up; 09-18-2010 at 12:27 PM.
Old 12-27-2010, 11:38 PM   #55
SCALE PERFORMANCE PARTS

It's been a while and I have been slacking ... OK not slacking but the new scale rules have been dominating my time.

Rig is still running fine and no sign of bearing or gear failure.

I've got a pile of parts I've been working on installing ... new motors, Knuckles, Hubs, Lockouts, Servo, Carbon Fiber Chassis, motor plates, transmission cases ... I have been doing a whole lot to this thing but just haven't taken pics.

I also mocked up a new servo mount so that the servo sits back a good bit and with the longer steering arm I made I get an almost perfect balance between servo throw and leverage. I'll get writeup done on that sometime after new years...

Right now I'm waiting on the rings I ordered for my Vanquish Wheels. Once they get here and I get them put on I'll take pics of everything and update the thread again.

Our first TX comp of 2011 is January 15th and I'm hoping to get some practice in before then with the new setup. So, hopefully I can get all of this done in the next week or so.

Last edited by Locked Up; 12-27-2010 at 11:40 PM.
Old 01-20-2011, 11:34 PM   #56
SCALE PERFORMANCE PARTS

Got some updates for the weekend's comp.

Steering Servo - 7950TH
Steering system - knuckles, chubs are Axial. Tierod is Chaotic Crawlers
Servo Mount - Will do a writeup later once I get the bugs worked out
Carbon fiber Chassis - Axial
Upper links - Axial
Vanquish DH procomp II wheels.
Vanquish trans cases
45t Motors - Br00d
Steel Pinions - Axial 15t & 14t
Motor guards - Cruzin Illusion

When I opened my cases to swap out the trans and do the motors I found no issues with the gears or bearings. Still, I like having everything overkill.

I think the last small bearing left in there is the 5x8 that goes under the upper link mounts. With 2 other larger bearings on that shaft and no signs of wear at this point .... I feel pretty good about the whole setup.

Last thing for me to do will be to cut out a servo guard tomorrow night, tweak springs & the ride height and then de-green the rest of the spacers...

Last edited by Locked Up; 01-20-2011 at 11:36 PM.
Old 01-21-2011, 09:18 AM   #57
I wanna be Dave

Lookin good man. Is your servo raised up a bit? In the pic it seems to be.
Jeepkid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2011, 06:12 PM   #58
SCALE PERFORMANCE PARTS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeepkid View Post
Lookin good man. Is your servo raised up a bit? In the pic it seems to be.
Yes it is raised about 6mm and moved back a good bit.

I actually moved it back too far when I made the mount ... hence the need to raise it.

Once I get it completely figured out I'll post up some better pics.

CTXRCC had our first comp today and I was pleased with the performance of the truck. I set it up a bit too floppy though and it bit me in the butt on 2 gates. Was still good enough for a 3rd place finish. Not to bad for my first comp with an MOA. Once I get it dialed in it should be a rockstar.

Last edited by Locked Up; 02-14-2011 at 08:35 AM.
Old 01-22-2011, 06:22 PM   #59
I wanna be Dave

Good stuff man. Cant wait to see pics of the servo mod. I bet its easy.
Jeepkid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2011, 06:08 PM   #60
SCALE PERFORMANCE PARTS

We had another comp on Saturday and although I had not had a chance to fully tune the truck, I took 1st place.

I still need to work on the foams & dial out some of the droop I had added with the longer shock shafts. I'm actually thinking about going back to the stock shafts.

Anyway,
Before the comp I had a chance to install some axial machined gears.

Thanks Axial!

I took bunch of pictures of the process but I don't think there is any rocket science involved. So I am skipping the tech writeup.

Anyway, here is a nice pics of the rear getting lubed up and almost ready to go:

After the comp, I bound the truck up as hard as I could and so far, everything is solid as a rock.

It was also my first time running my new Mamba Micros and I was very pleased with the amount of control I had. Could still use a little refinement but worlds above the Tekins IMO.

I also got my servo mount prototype finished. I say prototype because there are still some things I'll clean up on it eventually. I'll get a writeup for that posted some time this week.