Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler Brand Specific Tech > Heritage Crawlers > Axial XR10

Notices

Thread: slop

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-14-2010, 12:41 AM   #1
Pebble Pounder

Default slop

so i just got my xr10 all put together and i have about an eigth of an inch of slop either way on the wheels. has anyone else had this problem and if so can you please let me know what i did wrong. any help would be greatly apreciated. i followed the instructions step by step and the only thing that i havent done yet is put the motors in.

Thanks Brent
redcatguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 09-14-2010, 12:47 AM   #2
RCC Addict

Both axles are like this??? Or is it just the rear?
fa1rch1ld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2010, 12:58 AM   #3
Pebble Pounder

it is just the rear and i made sure to put the correct axles on their respective side.
Old 09-14-2010, 01:05 AM   #4
RCC Addict

The rear is like that stock....Everyone has play in the rear axle...Some people
buy shims to fix the problem... Personally I don't think it affects anything
Old 09-14-2010, 07:59 AM   #5
Rock Crawler

My fronts and rears do it. They did on my AX10. The did on my Losi. They did on my Bully. They did on my Berg. They did on my TC5, B4, B44, etc.....

It's gonna happen. Some companies make teflon shims. Measure the axle size there you think the shims need to go and get some teflon shims. Just make sure that you use a steel washer/shim behind the pin first otherwise you will dig into the teflon and could cause issues.

I am with fa1rch1ld on this one though. We really aren't putting a lot of stress on a lot of these parts that you would in a TC or a 4wd buggy. We are, it's just a diffferent stress. I do it on everything else where going straight at 40mph is very important.
Scottmisfits is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2010, 03:57 PM   #6
Pebble Pounder

ok one more thing is that the front tires are kind of toed in a bit. is that just the links for the steering need to be longer or what. sorry for all of the questions but i just dont want to have spent all this money and screw something up the first run. please any help would be awesome.

Brent
Old 09-14-2010, 04:16 PM   #7
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by redcatguy View Post
ok one more thing is that the front tires are kind of toed in a bit. is that just the links for the steering need to be longer or what. sorry for all of the questions but i just dont want to have spent all this money and screw something up the first run. please any help would be awesome.

Brent
you can adjust the angle anyway you like....I would take a ruler and adjust the
tie rods to there specifications...It tells you in mm what they recommend.
Old 09-14-2010, 04:20 PM   #8
Pebble Pounder

ya thats true i might go back and redo those. actually the truck was pretty easy to put together but was pretty overwhelming at first seeing everything laying around me but it was a blast. thanks for all of the help with this guys.

Brent
Old 09-14-2010, 07:39 PM   #9
I wanna be Dave

The fronts should be toe in a little it has to do with your steering geometry. Since your knuckles are pointed backwards a little toe in greatly helps steering angle and vice versa knuckles forward toe out this deff. helps steering angle
boosted4lyf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2010, 08:21 PM   #10
Pebble Pounder

alright thanks alot everyone all the help is greatly appreciated. if there are any other tips that you all have would be great. where are all of you running your shocks i have my towers even with my chassis where are all of you running your shock towers.

Brent
Old 09-14-2010, 08:45 PM   #11
I wanna be Dave

The fronts should be toe in a little it has to do with your steering geometry. Since your knuckles are pointed backwards a little toe in greatly helps steering angle and vice versa knuckles forward toe out this deff. helps steering angle
boosted4lyf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2010, 09:38 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by redcatguy View Post
so i just got my xr10 all put together and i have about an eigth of an inch of slop either way on the wheels. has anyone else had this problem and if so can you please let me know what i did wrong. any help would be greatly apreciated. i followed the instructions step by step and the only thing that i havent done yet is put the motors in.

Thanks Brent
Hey Brent,
when i built mine i ran into the same thing. I also found the lower links also have play at the Skid plate. I shimmed the rear with some random spacers. I put the spacers between the axle and the bearing(REAR). As for the links at the skid i used HPI spacers Part#Z814 worked perfect! Enjoy the new rig
DHRacer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2010, 11:40 PM   #13
Pebble Pounder

sweet thanks might have to look into that. thanks for all the help i cant wait to get this beast out on the rocks and hit some comps up. i comped my old rig but since i was rolling with a redcat i was pretty much the butt of all the jokes at the comps. but still was a learning experience hope ill be a placer now with the new rig.

Brent