Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler Brand Specific Tech > Heritage Crawlers > Axial XR10

Notices

Thread: Steering Upgrades????

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-17-2010, 01:48 PM   #1
RCC Addict

Default Steering Upgrades????

I know Vanquish is coming out with the new knuckles and C's for the XR10, but I am thinking linkage and steering system.
Anyone come up with any upgrades. I have a feeling I am going to bend something eventually.
The other thing I don't like, my 9157 Futaba servo likes to stall out every now and then, not to mention it has gotten a little warm more than once. So warm, that I am in the process of getting a heat sync for it.

So, any ideas?

Just as a quick one, I used the short Axial Pipe linkage from a AX10 steering kit on my XR, that seemed to stiffen things up a little bit, but I am looking to go further.
bigstu is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 09-17-2010, 02:07 PM   #2
I wanna be Dave

i think removing the aluminum slider from the axle housing and replacing it with a solid piece from knuckle to knuckle will help out a lot...im trying to figure out how i want to run mine before i start hacking. highfly did it to his rig and it looks pretty good...i was wondering if you can run the tie rod up and over the motor between the upper and lower links but i dont have any material to try right now and i need to pick up some larger rod ends too
ittybitty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2010, 02:21 PM   #3
I wanna be Dave

I made a longer steering arm and my servo stays nice and cool now.
oldhippie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2010, 02:26 PM   #4
Pebble Pounder

I was thinking of taking and bending a link around the outside of where the stock one goes through the axle housing instead of cuttind the housing and not liking it when done!! but il have to look at it some more before i make any changes i will keep ya posted if i figure anything out!!
junior ax10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2010, 04:48 PM   #5
TSK
Shelf queen

I think the steering arm mod that Dr. Frank did will help alot. The 6mm of extra length gives the servo more mechanical advantage on the steering system and should help keep the servo's cooler. You'll have to widen your EPA's to regain max steering throw though. Oh and try running a shorter servo horm if possible. It'll also provide more mechanical advantage for the servo.

From the looks of the pics Fa1rch1ld has of the VP knuckles, it looks like they incorporate this longer arm into their design.

Dr. Frank's steering arm:

Fa1rch1ld's VP knuckle to stock knuckle comparison:

In the pics of the VP to stock knuckles, You can clearly see that the VP arm is longer. And also note that they went to a zero ackerman geometry on the back side.

If you have the fab skills, the bang for the buck advantage goes to Dr. Frank.

If you have the money, the bling for the buck advantage goes to VP.

Last edited by TSK; 09-17-2010 at 07:19 PM.
TSK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2010, 05:20 PM   #6
Pebble Pounder

I made a steering arm mount for mine similar to What Dr.Frank did and it made a night and day difference seems like twice the power and servo stays cool best mod for it yet
DTWISTED is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2010, 07:17 PM   #7
TSK
Shelf queen

Quote:
Originally Posted by DTWISTED View Post
I made a steering arm mount for mine similar to What Dr.Frank did and it made a night and day difference seems like twice the power and servo stays cool best mod for it yet
A shorteer servo horn will increase that benefit.
TSK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2010, 07:27 PM   #8
Pebble Pounder

I'm running as short of a servo horn as I can with the peace I made. I can hold the front wheels and sling the rest of the truck around with a 7955 at 6 volts
DTWISTED is offline   Reply With Quote