Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler Brand Specific Tech > Heritage Crawlers > Axial XR10

Notices

Thread: gear explosion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-29-2010, 11:03 PM   #1
RCC Addict

Default gear explosion

For those that have smoked gears, what kind of abuse are you exposing them to? I was pulling wheelies, doing full throttle digs, and jumping my XR10 tonight on carpet and asphalt along with binding it up so bad on the rocks that it was body slamming itself down the hill. Also, was there any warning when the failure happened or did it just grenade?
Eritex Inc. is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 09-29-2010, 11:29 PM   #2
I wanna be Dave

I think most cases were nailed down to improper construction, either the housings were not tightened enough or they left off the brace.
2JSC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2010, 11:39 PM   #3
Pebble Pounder

my truck was fine after i got it together. checked the screws three times before i put them in. i went and played around with it a bit ran three packs through it and it was fine no problems or bad sounds. the next day i did a comp and placed 8th out of twenty something people. then the next day i went out and screwed off some more. about five min in i heard a pop and lost two gears in the rear axle. so if it was a construction problem i think it would have gone at the comp. but i contacted some of the guys at axial and they are hooking me up with some new gears. so i am very pleased with them about their customer service. i just think that there are really some bad gears that made it into the kits but thats just my .02.

Brent
redcatguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2010, 11:56 PM   #4
Rock Stacker

Some are good some are bad you got good ones.
Mark A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2010, 11:58 PM   #5
RCC Addict

I bash mine prob as hard or harder. I think you will be ok.
fa1rch1ld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2010, 12:52 AM   #6
Quarry Creeper

I had two flanged bearings go out in the front. Finished the course. Tore it apart and gears were fine. Well minus the small ball indent on every other tooth of the spool gear. It's holding up fine with avid / boca berrings all around.
AlphaQup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2010, 01:20 AM   #7

I tore the 12T transfer gear when I had two of my bearings blow out in my front gearbox.

A friend of mine has had 2 to 3 teeth on the 36T final gear get knocked off twice now both front and back.

He is a way better driver than me, no where near the lead finger I have. Still have no idea why he keeps having that issue.
R2theICKY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2010, 04:39 AM   #8
RCC Addict

I noticed a couple of nicks in a couple of the gears during assy, Does this mean I have the brittle gears?
hbj069 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2010, 11:09 AM   #9
I wanna be Dave

I'm rocking dual 35 turns.

I did a WOT backflp of a 4 foot ledge directly onto the rear wheels yesterday, spun it in a ground roll, flip rolled and crashed into a wall.

I broke the solder on 1 of my motor tabs.

I have a comp this weekend. I have VP bronze bushings at home, and tomorrow I will order some replacement gears...

then on saturday i will be comfortable seeing if I can break it.
BEELZEBOB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2010, 11:25 AM   #10
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by BEELZEBOB View Post
I'm rocking dual 35 turns.

I did a WOT backflp of a 4 foot ledge directly onto the rear wheels yesterday, spun it in a ground roll, flip rolled and crashed into a wall.

I broke the solder on 1 of my motor tabs.

I have a comp this weekend. I have VP bronze bushings at home, and tomorrow I will order some replacement gears...

then on saturday i will be comfortable seeing if I can break it.
Just curious, but whats a WOT backflip? Is that anything like a WTF backflip?
Rig Rocker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2010, 11:45 AM   #11
RCC Addict

Should mean Wide Open Throttle....

I was easy on mine at first but Im not too cautious any more, beat it like I beat my Bully and no problems yets except for a couple bearings.
slowngreen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2010, 12:04 PM   #12
I wanna be Dave

Full throttle, Wide open throttle...

sorry, flyboy lingo comin out.
BEELZEBOB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2010, 12:34 PM   #13
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2JSC View Post
I think most cases were nailed down to improper construction, either the housings were not tightened enough or they left off the brace.
I blew out both rear final drive gears...I know for a fact my install was by the book. The rear got in a little bind during a competition and when i throttled out it snapped 6+ teeth off.
Chaotic Crawlers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2010, 01:30 AM   #14
Rock Crawler

i was about 45 seconds into my very first run... first bind and i just barely gave any throttle and all i could hear was "zzzzzzzzzz" coming from the front end.

not sure exactly what the gear is called but some are calling it the transfer gear... i dont believe i was being to hard on the truck. pics can be found in my build thread.
robbio4422 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2010, 05:45 AM   #15
RCC Addict

ok guys, I put mine together about a month ago and ran it hard as usual. I wanted to trust the axles before I came back to comping. I gained alot of trust in th axles/gears so I comped it last weekend at Michigan State Comp with prejudice. If you ask anyone there, I tried really hard to crush the gears. However they made it through the comp no problem and I was not nice to it. Bound up deep in the rocks so much so the upper links flexed hard and looked like something broke, but nope, all good!!

BUT, I just couldn't leave well enough alone so decided to try and pop wheelies!!! Yep pop wheelies on a concrete driveway. Remember, I always run 35ts on 3cell lipo's. And after about 30 minutes of reverse to forward slams to ride wheelies the rear gears finally let loose!! CRUNCH!! I plan to put the stock gears back in because as hard as I beat on it, I believe they will hold up until better options become available.

take care of them and they last.
The Real Dogman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2010, 06:09 AM   #16
Uli
Quarry Creeper

I had the front spool loose two teeth, while front digging in a bind-situation. seems like the bearing blew first and took out the spool. Might not have been a gear issue at all but on of them tiny bearing balls getting between the teeth. Just guessing. Though, one has to consider by the time it broke Iīd already roughly 30-45 packs including one comp. The whole time I beat the $hiat out of it on two 17.5T brushless motors. Therefore it ainīt too bad having this kind of carnage for a new rig. I have updated bearings - including the larger bearing mod in the motor plate of the final drive stage - and everything seems fine.
Uli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2010, 06:15 AM   #17
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Real Dogman View Post
ok guys, I put mine together about a month ago and ran it hard as usual. I wanted to trust the axles before I came back to comping. I gained alot of trust in th axles/gears so I comped it last weekend at Michigan State Comp with prejudice. If you ask anyone there, I tried really hard to crush the gears. However they made it through the comp no problem and I was not nice to it. Bound up deep in the rocks so much so the upper links flexed hard and looked like something broke, but nope, all good!!

BUT, I just couldn't leave well enough alone so decided to try and pop wheelies!!! Yep pop wheelies on a concrete driveway. Remember, I always run 35ts on 3cell lipo's. And after about 30 minutes of reverse to forward slams to ride wheelies the rear gears finally let loose!! CRUNCH!! I plan to put the stock gears back in because as hard as I beat on it, I believe they will hold up until better options become available.

take care of them and they last.
I was there he was beating on it and yes a gear failed .mine were install or not install of rear brace so far no more problems

I think they might have got a few soft gears but most was build errors

ttyl
Bob C
twistedone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2010, 06:29 AM   #18

or WFO. gears normaly don't just explode. there has to be a bit too much and run for a day or 2. and then as you said pop. if the diff gears are right they'll work. I've body slamed mine a time or 2, fallen of mnt bonnnel 20' drop, or rolling down a unforgiving climb, and even did the no traction bop.( bouncing on back wheels). and that's one of the hardest thing that can be done to a diff. my diff still works. and it's been opened 2x for parts checking.

Last edited by stoneface; 10-01-2010 at 06:41 AM.
stoneface is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2010, 07:34 AM   #19
RCC Addict

So The XR10 is not a Noob's crawler you need to buy a rtr . Ive had no problems with mine with the Vp bushings installed.
Flyin Hawaiian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2010, 08:21 AM   #20
RCC Addict

Well, after the running I have done in the past couple days I have came to the conclusion the gearboxes on this crawler is pretty tough. I have now beat the XR10 at least 3 to 4 times harder then I usually drive my Losi MOA or my AX10 comp/scale rigs with no issues besides 7 lost body pins.

I will be cracking the cases open this weekend to check but I am not worried.
Eritex Inc. is offline   Reply With Quote