Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler Brand Specific Tech > Heritage Crawlers > Axial XR10

Notices

Thread: VP wheel choice

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-11-2010, 02:04 PM   #1
Quarry Creeper

Default VP wheel choice

SO, i bought VP knuckles, lockouts and CHUBS....HAHHAAH....

i want to get the most turning radius i can using VP wheels. What offset, and thickness should i order? oh and which wheel?

is there a thread that covers this?
avoidsthelight is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 10-11-2010, 02:10 PM   #2
20K Club

You may still need to make some modifications to links and link mounting depending on your desired track width. 1" SLW's with 250's or 375's work well for me. You can also get DH's with offsets 350 offsets which would be a good choice as well.
Harley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2010, 02:21 PM   #3
Quarry Creeper

Harley - thanks for the reply. I have downloaded the VP sizing chart. The problem i am running into is not know what i want out of a lack of using any of these porducts / setups. this is my first comp crawler and that is why i am unsure. so, i thought the 1 inch SLW and you mentioned those two offsets. Can you help me understand what the difference is bewtween the two you mentioned for offset? will one of these just give me a more narrow gate? sorry, i am this oblivious. i am simply trying to get this thing running and running with some nice hop ups. I dont really have any preference yet as I am new to it all still.

so if the goal is to get the knuckles tucked in as much as possible would the 250 be the correct offset?

also - do you know if sedonas will fit the 1" SLWs?

thanks again. I will read whatever you all point me to, to educate myself. i am jsut fumbling around in the dark ATM since i dont have any experience crawling with a comp crawler yet...
Old 10-11-2010, 02:32 PM   #4
20K Club

The first few posts of page 2 of my build thread should be of assistance to you: Harley's XR10 #AX50062

The difference in track width has pro and cons. Wider is a little easier to sidehill with but is also easier to fit through gates. Narrower helps with clearance under the diff also means you may hit the links more with your tires when turning. It's one big cycle.

Quote:
Originally Posted by avoidsthelight View Post
Harley - thanks for the reply. I have downloaded the VP sizing chart. The problem i am running into is not know what i want out of a lack of using any of these porducts / setups. this is my first comp crawler and that is why i am unsure. so, i thought the 1 inch SLW and you mentioned those two offsets. Can you help me understand what the difference is bewtween the two you mentioned for offset? will one of these just give me a more narrow gate? sorry, i am this oblivious. i am simply trying to get this thing running and running with some nice hop ups. I dont really have any preference yet as I am new to it all still.

so if the goal is to get the knuckles tucked in as much as possible would the 250 be the correct offset?

also - do you know if sedonas will fit the 1" SLWs?

thanks again. I will read whatever you all point me to, to educate myself. i am jsut fumbling around in the dark ATM since i dont have any experience crawling with a comp crawler yet...
Old 10-11-2010, 02:33 PM   #5
20K Club

Also, you will see that the Sedona's in my thread are mounted on 1" SLW's. I am not a big fan of the wheels that are narrower than 1" wide.
Old 10-11-2010, 06:22 PM   #6
Quarry Creeper

.7s with 225s have minimal rubbing even with vps
dragrcr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2010, 06:44 PM   #7
Rock Stacker

harley.....you da man. you answered my question about the concern. thanks
RockBrawler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2010, 06:54 PM   #8
I wanna be Dave

I am going to try the .7 slw's with the 225 hubs hoping the mailman brings me a present tommorow with sedonas good info Harley
kasper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2010, 09:37 PM   #9
Rockin' in Reno

I run 1" in the front and .7 in the back. 475 hubs up front and 225 in the back. I don't like my tires to get into my shocks and links. The 475 hubs just barely let the tire touch the spring. You could go with the 350 hubs, but they put the tire into the shocks more than I like. I don't know how people are using the 225 hubs up front, I couldn't get anywhere close to the full steering with those.
rcjackson0926 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2010, 09:45 PM   #10
Quarry Creeper

Put your .7s up front, the width is taken off the inside giving you way more room, I have the flipped knuckle mod and get tons of steering with almost no interference and I have done 2 vp knuckles for friends and they have the same little bit of interference.
dragrcr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2010, 10:01 AM   #11
Quarry Creeper

Default thanks for the help man....

Harley - thanks man. for all the advice. If you ever want your rigs photographed by a professional let me know. I can help with that at least.

www.paultroia.com (my once awesome but now outdated site)
www.troiasimage.blogspot.com (the photo scratch pad….)
http://www.modelmayhem.com/840320 my modeling stuff. it is in its infancy so hold judgment until further notice

Ok, i am ordering your wheels... almost. I was going to go with those wheels and the 225's on all 4? Do you think that will be a pretty close fit to the stock setup? Steve let me know when I called VP that this should be a dandy setup to start with…

I am not sure on the Sedona’s. I bought new Boss Claws for its initial launch...so I should stick to using them unless I can sell them…

thanks as always
paul
Old 10-12-2010, 10:04 AM   #12
20K Club

Quote:
Harley - thanks man. for all the advice. If you ever want your rigs photographed by a professional let me know. I can help with that at least.

http://www.modelmayhem.com/840320 my modeling stuff. it is in its infancy so hold judgment until further notice

Ok, i am ordering your wheels... almost. I was going to go with those wheels and the 225's on all 4? Do you think that will be a pretty close fit to the stock setup? Steve let me know when I called VP that this should be a dandy setup to start with…

I am not sure on the Sedona’s. I bought new Boss Claws for its initial launch...so I should stick to using them unless I can sell them…

thanks as always
paul

When you say my wheels, do you mean 1" SLW's or the SSZ's like what I am currently running on my XR10? The SSZ's will only work with 375 or wider offsets as an FYI. The 225's with SLW's and Sedona's are my prefered comp setup though

And I may take you up on the photo thing one day
Old 10-12-2010, 10:16 AM   #13
Rockin' in Reno

Quote:

thanks as always
paul
I am running the Boss Claws, and I like them better than the Sedonas that I was running.

Personally, I think you would like 350 hubs up front better, but that is your call.
Old 10-12-2010, 11:03 AM   #14
Quarry Creeper

shoot...yes, i want to run the SSZ's... whatever you are running now. not the SLW... unless, you mention running the SLW in comp.. is this because of the sidewalling ability?

arg, i feel like a tool. this should be easy but i am confussed as hell. the hub, is the piece that offsets the wheel. right? so different offsets will achieve a wider or more narrow stance. so, if i like the look of your current wheels and i want to get the ride close to its stock width, what is your suggestion?

and dude, photos at events. if you guys are interested. i am a great sports photographer. so, i am hoping some of this translates to RC car images. Seriosly let me know if anyone is interested in Commercial images of parts or whatever.

should i be getting a vendor star linned up if i am interested in shooting for other vendors? ha! sorry to switch gears...i guess this is for another forum..

ok enough....ciao
paul
Old 10-12-2010, 03:19 PM   #15
Rockin' in Reno

Quote:
shoot...yes, i want to run the SSZ's... whatever you are running now. not the SLW... unless, you mention running the SLW in comp.. is this because of the sidewalling ability?

arg, i feel like a tool. this should be easy but i am confussed as hell. the hub, is the piece that offsets the wheel. right? so different offsets will achieve a wider or more narrow stance. so, if i like the look of your current wheels and i want to get the ride close to its stock width, what is your suggestion?

and dude, photos at events. if you guys are interested. i am a great sports photographer. so, i am hoping some of this translates to RC car images. Seriosly let me know if anyone is interested in Commercial images of parts or whatever.

should i be getting a vendor star linned up if i am interested in shooting for other vendors? ha! sorry to switch gears...i guess this is for another forum..

ok enough....ciao
paul

Yes, the hubs change the width of the car by moving the wheels in or out. The 225 hubs are the narrowest and put the wheels too far into the shocks and links if you ask me.

I am not sure about the vendor star need for photos. Maybe someone else will know.
Old 10-12-2010, 03:43 PM   #16
20K Club

The interference with the stub axle is why I don't run 250's on the SSZ's, they simply won't fit without cutting down the stub. Check out my photos in my build thread for width comparisons.

If you would like to sell your photo service definitely pick up a vendors star. This is the place to network if you want to provide sevices to crawlers.

Quote:

ok enough....ciao
paul
Old 10-13-2010, 10:36 AM   #17
Rock Stacker

you can always buy an extra pair of hubs in different offset...
Zapped is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2010, 01:06 PM   #18
Quarry Creeper

Ok guys. I was going to order slw, 1 inches with 225s all around. However, will the .700 up front with 225 get me more radius? If i do the 1.0 inch width am i too wide for up front Harley?

Guys thanks for helping me. I would shoot all your weddings or cars or ol ladys if i could to get you All back.... If i can answer any photo questions or computer questions let me know...

Thanks always
paul
Old 10-13-2010, 01:21 PM   #19
20K Club

Either of those setups will give you the same width. The narrower wheel is achieved by removing with from the inside portion. Sounds like you are set.
Old 10-13-2010, 03:33 PM   #20
Quarry Creeper

ok, 1.0x4 and 225x4.... thanks Harley... ill post some pics when i get them. i already put a deposit down.

when are we going to have a Bay Area GTG? We can all meet at castle rock or somewheres and drive miniature cars together.... ill bring the entertainment