Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler Brand Specific Tech > Heritage Crawlers > Axial XR10

Notices

Thread: Chino63's XR10

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-18-2010, 11:33 PM   #1
Oppan Gangnam Style

Default Chino63's XR10

Since there are plenty of build threads here I figured I'd pass on doing one. This will be more of a mod thread guess.

Finally got the chance to get the XR10 together and running a few weeks ago but had trouble getting the DX6 programmed. Swapped that out for the old trusty DX3 and made a crude dig switch with some parts laying around the shop. I'll figure out the DX6 when I need the 4th channel.

Here is the ghetto dig switch I made

I was so impressed with the XR10's performance, I can't really see much to change off the bat aside from some minor tuning.

DPDsurf was kind enough to bend up some Lunsford Ti links for me so they went on with Revo rod ends as soon as I killed a few of the stock rod ends.

On to the steering mods.

First off was clocking the front axle. With the motor up and out of the way I quickly maxed out the caster. Since the stock C's seem to be holding up fine, I elongated the slots which allowed me to clock them back one more spline. More caster than I'd usually want but so far seems to work really well. I also installed a set of Vanquish knuckles.

As we all know, the servo positioning isn't in the best of locations and I caked a few arms at my local test spot. flipped the servo 180 so the arm was closer to the tire but still found it catching on too many rocks. I decided to go the lazy route and just do a minor relocation close to the stock setup.

First thing was to move it up one hole on the mounts which raised it 10mm, this helped but the arm was still out there so I relocated it to behind the mounts. I was able to get it back 15mm with some spacers so now the servo sits partially above the motor can and clears the shock as well (some minor clearancing of the upper link mount was necessary to get the hardware installed). No bent arm and the CG isn't much off from stock (the witness mark on the servo plate is from installing the previously bent arm for mockup prior to installing the Racers Edge arm). I hacked together a new outside mount for some additional strength as well.

In this pic you can see how far the front is rotated adn how much caster I still have.

I have a couple other ideas in regard to servo location and steering setup that I might try but I'm planning on running it this way for awhile.

Last edited by chino63; 10-18-2010 at 11:39 PM.
chino63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 10-18-2010, 11:39 PM   #2
Keep it real

Interesting mod Dean
Tanis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2010, 11:43 PM   #3
Ex Nor-CalRCRC slave

Rig looks good Dean, great pics of the servo mod. Nice to have seen you at HT, and for ridin' in on the V-max, brought back memories of mine.
gunnar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2010, 11:47 PM   #4
Rock Crawler

what hubs your running front and rear and what width are you at?
Rootar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2010, 11:54 PM   #5
I wanna be Dave

lookin good...im with ya on the factory steering setup leaving a little to be desired...im working on what is hopefully gonna be a sort of over the top tie rod...we'll see what happens
ittybitty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2010, 11:57 PM   #6
Oppan Gangnam Style

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tanis View Post
Interesting mod Dean
Thanks, I'm getting lazy in my old age.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gunnar View Post
Rig looks good Dean, great pics of the servo mod. Nice to have seen you at HT, and for ridin' in on the V-max, brought back memories of mine.
Yeah, it was good to see you guys too! That damn bike's gonna get me a ticket one of these days. Can't seem to keep it under 80.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rootar View Post
what hubs your running front and rear and what width are you at?
I'm not sure what hubs they are, my memory is terrible but I know that they are the narrowest ones for the DH wheels. I'm at 11 1/8" in the front and 10 1/4" in the rear with stock hexes and my foam setup. Front's a bit wide but I'm going to try a pair of narrow hexes and might machine the the hubs down abit as per Yotachumps recommendation.
chino63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2010, 09:25 AM   #7
Rock Crawler

Newb question here but why raise the servo? What advantages does it give you?
darkmanx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2010, 09:46 AM   #8
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by darkmanx View Post
Newb question here but why raise the servo? What advantages does it give you?
I think it's because he has the front axle clocked forward more to get the gear box and motor above the lower links. This is why he had to notch the C's so that he could get his caster angles back. This was causing the steering servo to angle downward towards the ground which placed the servo arm lower and was causing it to hit/hang up on rocks more.
dpdsurf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2010, 10:08 AM   #9
Rock Crawler

I see thanks!
darkmanx is offline   Reply With Quote