Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler Brand Specific Tech > Heritage Crawlers > Axial XR10

Notices

Thread: Electronics Tray

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-21-2010, 10:22 PM   #1
I wanna be Dave

Default Electronics Tray

I have my XR put together and sitting pretty on the workbench... just waiting for my ESC to arrive... any day now... yup... just about any time now... and still waiting...

In the mean time, I am doing as much research as I can, setups, ways to avoid having a tranny eat itself. I'm also looking at how people are stuffing the electronics in this thing.

It looks like peeps are using the electronics tray as is, some are cutting the box off, and some are ditching it all together.

Right now I am looking at the middle option and cutting the box off, but what are your thoughts on this (assuming that I am using the stock chassis)?

I'm already looking at cutting off the antenna mount, it gets in the way. Any hazards with cutting the box off of the tray?

Thanks.
Greatscott is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 10-21-2010, 11:49 PM   #2
Quarry Creeper

I didnt use the electronics tray.. Used double sided tape for the electronics on the chassis...
losichris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2010, 12:19 AM   #3
RCC Addict

I took the whole tray assembly out and just made a new one
meffie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2010, 12:31 AM   #4
Rock Crawler

I am still running the electronics tray that screws to the skid plate, and the receiver box, but I got rid of the stock front battery plate right away. I am still a NiMh battery guy, and I run the Traxxas mini packs, rather then LiPos. What I do is velcro my battery pack to the electronics plate, down on the skid plate. I run a velcro strap over the top of my battery pack. Then I velcro my ESC to the top of the battery pack. I'm waiting for my Novak M2 to get here too, so I didn't try to do anything to permenant, but surprisingly, this set-up works well. The down side is I have to peel my ESC off the battery, in order to change it out, but I have enough slack in the wires so I can do so. Everything has adhesive backed velcro on it, plus I found a narrow velcro strap that slides between the skid plate and lower electronics plate perfectly. There is enough of an air gap that you can slide the strap between them. The whole set-up is quite strong. I've rolled my XR10 down the rock pile and nothing has gotten ejected. It's simple and somewhat dirty, but plenty effective, for now. I can lift the whole truck by the battery pack, shake it around like a rabbid dog, and it's solid. Double velcro works really well.
Espeefan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2010, 08:27 AM   #5
Quarry Creeper

Dude!! Step up and go lipo!!! You will never look back!!
Robbs2001tj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2010, 09:54 AM   #6
Rock Crawler

I know, I know....To be honest, the NiMh packs run well in this crawler. I get about 30 mins of runtime and it has good power. I'm just not ready to invest in new battery technology yet. Might get some LiFe packs someday.
Espeefan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2010, 10:03 AM   #7
I wanna be Dave

I ditched the plate too......while the ESC mount was kinda cool, the rest of it was just awkward, especially in my case trying to make uber clean wiring....I ditched the battery tray too, literally nothing I had fit in it....

Later EddieO
EddieO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2010, 11:08 AM   #8
RCC Addict

I ditched it completely, taped the electronics on the sideplates as low as possible and mad a crude lexan lower link plate for the battery up front.
MadForce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2010, 06:17 PM   #9
I wanna be Dave

Thanks for the input.

For the peeps that ditched the electronics tray, did you remove the spacers for the back links where that attach to the chassis?
Greatscott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2010, 07:11 PM   #10
I wanna be Dave

Here is what I've been working on. This isn't the final CAD pic, but shows what we are cutting. Mounts to the factory XR10 Skids..

http://www.jpcustomrcs.com/catalog/i...45/8353348.htm

run2jeepn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2010, 07:25 PM   #11
RCC Addict

This is a standard lenght one from Billetworks there is also an extended front battery mount one available which is what i'm running cause it does away with the stock battery mount box the whole nine yards and also bolts to factory skid
chad30w is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2010, 07:37 PM   #12
RCC Addict

Hard to see but heres the longer version.,.....

Old 10-22-2010, 07:52 PM   #13
RCC Addict

when are these available?
Deezul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2010, 07:53 PM   #14
RCC Addict

Should have more ready to ship MONDAY
Old 10-22-2010, 07:58 PM   #15
I wanna be Dave

I've been trying to get these on the site for 2 weeks now but the XR Wedges have been selling so quick I never have any spare electronic plates to post up

We will be making a batch of them up on Sunday so they will be on our site and ready to ship on Monday.

BW
billet works is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2010, 08:48 PM   #16
RCC Addict

any updates for eta?
Deezul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2010, 06:49 AM   #17
I wanna be Dave

I have mine made up, just ran out of time to add to my site last night. It will be up shortly.

BW
billet works is offline   Reply With Quote