Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler Brand Specific Tech > Heritage Crawlers > Axial XR10

Notices

Thread: should these axles be spinning freely? (freewheeling)

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-29-2010, 09:14 AM   #1
I wanna be Dave

Default should these axles be spinning freely? (freewheeling)

I was put a set of xr axles together yesterday and notice the front does not spin freely by hand with no motors attached....

the axle has no hex's or tires on....I just cant spin them by hand after following the directions in the manual...??
all the other axles I have built will spin easy and free but these seem really tight? normal? If i spin the gear in the gear box it spins fine all the way around...but it wont even come close to a free wheel kinda spin..

I had a badly cut step gear(cut off center) on the rear axle and cant compare the two(I called axial and they have me a new gear sent out that day..great fast service)

thoughts???
53 willys is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 10-29-2010, 09:41 AM   #2
Quarry Creeper

You might want to put the hexes and atleast one tire on. Sometiemes, I find it a little hard to turn a shaft by hand. Especially if you have already greased it because the grease adds some resistance. I thought the manual was weird with that one gear with the triangle in it being in a different rotation between front and rear axle. After spinning mine, I flipped one in the rear and it made it spin better. I have not run the XR but atleast everything is nice and smooth. I tested the "strength" by spinning the wheel on the axle fast and stopping it and jerking it back and forth...LOL (did I just say that?!?!?!) Anyways, after some abuse that I gave it, it has held up fine. Just waiting on electronics to get here.
I hope that helps a little.

P.S. on my bully axles one of the screws contacted the gears and made it hard to turn because it was just touching the side of it.
You might want to double check all of the screws and make sure you put the correct length ones in. Better safe then sorry with broken gears.
the3kid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2010, 09:59 AM   #3
Rock Crawler

i second that....especially the ones at the spool.....that being said, my axles were a bitch to turn till i broke them in a bit...9mm bearings stock gears and 45t HHhw motors dont like to spin immediately...now if your motors are not installed and it wont spin....your not correct somewhere...but it was still pretty tight for me at first
flapjack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2010, 10:22 AM   #4
Relaxed !

check all the screws in the axle housing as some are a bit longer than what they say they are you may have to shim a bit to get the clearance on the inside, i had to on mine after nat's, just use an ax-10 flat washer to get the clearance! if you need more assistance lmk and i can shoot a pic!
sococrawler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2010, 11:04 AM   #5
I wanna be Dave

So here is where I'm at..
No motors installed
No hexs
Axial grease...lots of it!
When I try and spin the axle shaft (out at the vp knuckles)with my fingers it won't spin at all!
If I reach my finger in the motor hole and spin the big gear it spins a full rotation with no issues.
But it never "freewheels" only turns as much as my finger pushs it..
Clear as mud?
53 willys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2010, 11:18 AM   #6
Rock Crawler

thats how mine were.....they rotate better now that they have been broken in.....lots of grease will make the mesh hard to compress ...as long as it is rotating smoothly when you turn it by your finger inside the gear box you should be ok.....if the gear didnt turn by your finger tip ide be worried
flapjack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2010, 11:24 AM   #7
Rock Crawler

They should loosen up once they break in. I remember mine being hard to spin.
ol' gravy leg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2010, 12:00 PM   #8
I wanna be Dave

Tighten your drill on the axle stub and let her rip for a while.
4xFord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2010, 12:18 PM   #9
RCC Addict

Mine spun freely at all times. But as alot have said, some seem to need to be broken in
meffie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2010, 12:29 PM   #10
I wanna be Dave

You will have issues rotating it. You are trying to rotate through a gear reducted trans that is why. Try putting your finger inside and rotate the spur.
Jeepkid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2010, 12:59 AM   #11
I wanna be Dave

Mark,
Mine were the same way.
I think it's the gear reduction and the grease.
Mine loosened up after a couple packs, but are still tight.
Chaotic Crawlers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2010, 02:48 AM   #12
Pebble Pounder

gear reduction
moto261 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2010, 06:52 AM   #13
Quarry Creeper

the screws which hold the lower fronts when over tightened will cause the axles to bind .... i found the same thing when i built the front then slowly tested each set of screws ... its that one which binds the bearings by the cvd's ....

hope this helps
strawb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2010, 03:11 PM   #14
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by strawb View Post
the screws which hold the lower fronts when over tightened will cause the axles to bind .... i found the same thing when i built the front then slowly tested each set of screws ... its that one which binds the bearings by the cvd's ....

hope this helps
lost...pic?
Deezul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2010, 08:47 AM   #15
Pebble Pounder

I just installed the vp bushing right before a comp. They where super tight after that. I thought I had done something wrong. Built them like 4 more times. Same results. I figured they may need to break in. I get the comp. Truck was no running right. Could never get the f and r to work together there was so much drag. On the last corse my front motor slowed and smoked. That suck to make a upgrade and it cost you a comp and a motor.
792.5cj5 is offline   Reply With Quote