Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler Brand Specific Tech > Heritage Crawlers > Axial XR10

Notices

Thread: Cutting brakes?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-30-2010, 08:42 AM   #1
Rock Crawler

Default Cutting brakes?

Are the cutting brakes a worthwhile feature or more gimmick on these? Trying to decide if its worth the switch for the cutting brakes. Didn't seem to find any thread on the topic.
MNorby is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 10-30-2010, 08:47 AM   #2
RCC Addict

They are not released yet, but should be very worth while. Ability to turn a lot tighter then a dig would allow.
articzap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2010, 08:53 AM   #3
RCC Addict

What is this, I've not heard about it yet?
Abavuso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2010, 08:54 AM   #4
I wanna be Dave

IMO it seems like extra wieght that I dont need. One more thing to pile in thetight space that is theXR10. I can get by with just dig.
Jeepkid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2010, 08:56 AM   #5
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abavuso View Post
What is this, I've not heard about it yet?
It a brake that will give you the ability to lock up right or left rear wheel and have 3 wheels still powered. I'll try to find the video.
Old 10-30-2010, 09:00 AM   #6
RCC Addict

http://www.facebook.com/video/video.php?v=1418288421865

There's a video of the cutting brake. It allows you to control power going to each rear wheel independently.
Old 10-30-2010, 09:03 AM   #7
I wanna be Dave

Damn, you found it before I could. It is sweet, I just cant see myself using it that much at all.
Old 10-30-2010, 09:05 AM   #8
RCC Addict

Depends on the course. Tight turns will make it really useful. Less reverse points being able to pivot the whole truck on one wheel endlessly, pending traction and surface.
Old 10-30-2010, 09:06 AM   #9
Rock Crawler

I have them on my 1:1 and they are useful but most of the time I just lock both my rears just like a normal dig , mostly depends on terrain if one wheel is enough or not. That's why I ask when it comes to 10:1.
MNorby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2010, 05:31 PM   #10
Rock Crawler

Well with soo much front weight bias I cannot see where the light end of the rig with the lightest wheel/tire is going to allow you to piviot like cutting brakes on a 1:1 IMO. The big benefit I see is making an uphill turn or turning out of a hole?? If you watch the vid it would appear to me that dig will still bring about a tighter turn??
WarTrader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2010, 05:36 PM   #11
I wanna be Dave

I noticed the same thing. I knew that I didnt need that upgrade when I saw the video. My buddy watch it and was like(sooooo what is the benifit?)
Old 10-30-2010, 05:45 PM   #12
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by WarTrader View Post
Well with soo much front weight bias I cannot see where the light end of the rig with the lightest wheel/tire is going to allow you to piviot like cutting brakes on a 1:1 IMO. The big benefit I see is making an uphill turn or turning out of a hole?? If you watch the vid it would appear to me that dig will still bring about a tighter turn??
I disagree.
Old 10-30-2010, 07:46 PM   #13
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by articzap View Post
They are not released yet, but should be very worth while. Ability to turn a lot tighter then a dig would allow.
Not true! I have tested it multiple times in a past rig of mine. The rigs do not have enough weight/rear traction to hold the back of the rig with only the inside rear tire locked. You need both rear wheels locked to have the tightest turning radius.

The cutting brake will help more in situations of climbing ledges off camber and getting out of holes.
wrightcs77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2010, 08:43 PM   #14
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by wrightcs77 View Post
Not true! I have tested it multiple times in a past rig of mine. The rigs do not have enough weight/rear traction to hold the back of the rig with only the inside rear tire locked. You need both rear wheels locked to have the tightest turning radius.

The cutting brake will help more in situations of climbing ledges off camber and getting out of holes.
That is what I thought.
Old 10-30-2010, 11:43 PM   #15
Quarry Creeper

There was only one time I needed the cutting brake since I got my XR10. But was still able get the rear tire out of the hole it was in with the control of a twin stick
Robbs2001tj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2010, 12:30 PM   #16
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by wrightcs77 View Post

Three wheels powering out your turn is tighter than two... It all depends on your set up. If you dont have the correct weight set up to use CB and/or enough traction on how your rig is positioned, then yes your statment is true. I understand where your comming from though.

It's obv that you would get more turning radius. Try a mock up test:

- Place your rig on the floor.
- Hold either your left/rear or right/rear tire in place. (1 tire)
- imagine 3x tires taking you through the turn.... super sharp, tighter than a conv dig set up.

* The thing is, using it in the right situation....AND having a t/x set up that can perform these duties. If your using cutting brakes, you better already know all your features of your rig and know how to drive the thing in a comp enviorment.

no disrespect wrightcs77, I know you know you shit.
ADDICT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2010, 12:33 PM   #17
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by ADDICT View Post
Three wheels powering out your turn is tighter than two... It all depends on your set up. If you dont have the correct weight set up to use CB and/or enough traction on how your rig is positioned, then yes your statment is true. I understand where your comming from though.

It's obv that you would get more turning radius. Try a mock up test:

- Place your rig on the floor.
- Hold either your left/rear or right/rear tire in place. (1 tire)
- imagine 3x tires taking you through the turn.... super sharp, tighter than a conv dig set up.

* The thing is, using it in the right situation....AND having a t/x set up that can perform these duties. If your using cutting brakes, you better already know all your features of your rig and know how to drive the thing in a comp enviorment.

no disrespect wrightcs77, I know you know you shit.
I have a feeling the best way to use the cutting brake will be to also dial out a bit of rear esc.
Old 10-31-2010, 12:39 PM   #18
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by articzap View Post
I have a feeling the best way to use the cutting brake will be to also dial out a bit of rear esc.
true! another good point.

* All and all it isn't mastered yet to the point where everyone can understand the correct way to 1) set it up and 2) use it.
ADDICT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2010, 12:51 PM   #19
I wanna be Dave

Yes, it would take alot of running the rig in situations where you know when to use the cutting break to your advantage. Other wise you would just be using it in the wrong spots during a comp and could waste time and cost you points.
Old 10-31-2010, 01:03 PM   #20
Quarry Creeper

ON A 1:1 IT'S A MUST....

If your on a course of ROCKS with ledges, bumps, dirt and one guy that can drive with cutting brakes and you can drive but you don't have cut ---
YOU'LL LOSE

EVERYTIME.........
KNIFE is offline   Reply With Quote