Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler Brand Specific Tech > Heritage Crawlers > Axial XR10

Notices

Thread: Essential upgrades

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-06-2010, 06:00 AM   #1
Quarry Creeper

Default Essential upgrades

Hi guys,

After seeing MadForce's XR10 perform yesterday (thanks mate) i'm really struggling to find some excuse not to buy yet another RC car.

Thing i found though was with my MRC i hopped up so much of the car that i'm close to having another MRC in spares, bit of a waste to be honest.

So i'm thinking that rather than buy the XR10 kit, then stick most of it in a spares box as it's hopped up, i'll buy the bits that are needed and build it up like that rather than the kit.

What do you guys think, good idea, bad idea?

What bits are pretty much essential to upgrade?
I've read about the bearing problems, but even stock sized decent quality bearings seem to be fine, right?

Cheers
Mark
cbr6fs is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 11-06-2010, 06:50 AM   #2
Pebble Pounder

A buddy of mine was actually contemplating this very question yesterday for his second XR. Right now with the XR being so new the few components you would have to buy and piece together are so close to the cost of a new XR it is easier to just buy the XR complete. One of the most important things most people don't think about is the screws....they are all different sizes on the axles and trying to figure out what is what without buying a ton of different screws would be a huge headache! If it were me I would buy it complete and keep everything you upgraded as spares/backups. Oh and around here the stock sized bearings are failing regardless of brand or quality so make sure to either do the Vanquish bushings or take a little extra time and do the 9mm mod before assembling!
73bronco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2010, 06:53 AM   #3
Rock Crawler

The only "needed" upgrade is the VP bushing/9mm bearing mod. The first thing I would upgrade after that is all of the links. Then just get your bling as you can afford it.
Turn'Nburn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2010, 07:28 AM   #4
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turn'Nburn View Post
The only "needed" upgrade is the VP bushing/9mm bearing mod. The first thing I would upgrade after that is all of the links. Then just get your bling as you can afford it.
what he said
strawb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2010, 08:15 AM   #5
Quarry Creeper

if ur gonna order the vp bushings, just bite the bullet and buy all the vp stuff, the steering is crazy and will keep ur servo temps down
ebomb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2010, 09:20 AM   #6
I wanna be Dave

The mods I see worth doing is, the vp bushinds or 9mm mod, replace the plastic upper links, and a aluminum servo horn(yes that is a mod because the kit dosent come with one).
Jeepkid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2010, 11:31 AM   #7
RCC Addict

Not to rain on Vanquish's parade, but Traxxas sells a package of 12 5x8 unflanged bushings for $5. Enough for both axle housings. Still have to get the 5x9 flanged bearings for the motor plates though. I was unsuccessful trying to find cheap flanged 5x8 bushings.
Manning is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2010, 11:33 AM   #8
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manning View Post
Not to rain on Vanquish's parade, but Traxxas sells a package of 12 5x8 unflanged bushings for $5. Enough for both axle housings. Still have to get the 5x9 flanged bearings for the motor plates though. I was unsuccessful trying to find cheap flanged 5x8 bushings.
Yeah, those flanged bushings are not cheap.
Old 11-06-2010, 11:44 AM   #9
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manning View Post
Here is a link to the bushings: http://www.losipartshouse.com/servle...8x2.5mm/Detail

Or this one: http://www.advantagehobby.com/produc...cat=471&page=1
RIG_RIDER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2010, 11:51 AM   #10
I wanna be Dave

The bottom link ones are metal, so I dont think they will stay lubricated as well as the bronze ones.
Old 11-06-2010, 12:14 PM   #11
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeepkid View Post
The bottom link ones are metal, so I dont think they will stay lubricated as well as the bronze ones.
Bronze is metal...
Old 11-06-2010, 12:14 PM   #12
RCC Addict

As you saw Mark, my rig performed decently and it is as close to stock as possible. I have only changed the bearings as I mentioned and they are holding great after 20+ hours of hard use.
I myself am not a big fan of relentlessly upgrading a car just for upgradings sake.
Only things I think are needed for now are stiffer upper links because the stock ones are starting to deform and maybe a different chassis with better clearance because the rig seems to hang when clearing steep ledges.
Glad you liked the car!
MadForce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2010, 01:48 PM   #13
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turn'Nburn View Post
Bronze is metal...
Bronze is a different material all together compared to metal. When you scrap metal you dont just throw the bronze in there with it. That would be stupid. Around here you are looking at 50 a ton on metal and 2.30 a pound bronze. It is not sheet metal or iron like the HPI bushings.
Old 11-06-2010, 02:08 PM   #14
Rock Crawler

We have done a bunch of testing at my work using many different materials for bushings (even composite materials) and none of them have held up as long as bearings. We have a spray system that used to use bronze bushings for a rocker arm assembly that sees alot of pressure, it rotates pretty relatively slowly and only turns about 1/4 of a turn back and forth and the bushings would just not hold up.........Our solution......Bearings...............

Its funny that many people bring up the fact that bronze is a "self lubricating" material, your spinning a shaft inside those bushings.....They are going to wear. The only idea that i like about running bushings vs bearing is that you dont have to worr about the bushing breaking, like many people have seen when using the 8MM bearings in the XR10's. But if you have a strong bearing you shouldnt have to worry about this, go 9MM and dont look back.
BFGcrawler418 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2010, 02:16 PM   #15
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Bronze is a different material all together compared to metal. When you scrap metal you dont just throw the bronze in there with it.(nor do you just throw in aluminum or copper) That would be stupid. Around here you are looking at 50 a ton on metal (you mean steel) and 2.30 a pound bronze. It is not sheet metal or iron like the HPI bushings (looks like cast steel to me).
bronzenoun, often attributive
Definition of BRONZE

a : an alloy of copper and tin and sometimes other elements
b : any of various copper-base alloys with little or no tin

while it may not be a pure element like iron Fe, or aluminum Al, bronze is a metal alloy therefore it is a metal.

Last edited by Turn'Nburn; 11-06-2010 at 02:18 PM.
Old 11-06-2010, 02:24 PM   #16
I wanna be Dave

A different kind compared the metal of the HPI bushings though. Those bushings do not have the same self lubricating benifets as the traxxas and VP bushings.
Old 11-06-2010, 02:28 PM   #17
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by RIG_RIDER View Post
Quote:
Did ANYONE look at the picture of the bushings in the second link?

Based on your response, I'd say no.

I have these myself, and can say THEY ARE BRONZE!
RIG_RIDER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2010, 02:31 PM   #18
I wanna be Dave

OK. Got those kind of parts laying around and the HPI ones are all rusty a shit and the traxxas ones arent. Not trying to be a dick or anything.
Old 11-06-2010, 02:34 PM   #19
I wanna be Dave

Thats what I am talking about. They dont seem to be as good as the traxxas ones, because they rust really fast.
Old 11-06-2010, 05:12 PM   #20
RCC Addict

There are many different bronze bushing alloys. One of which has a bunch of iron in it, and has a silverish color.

Here's a short description of it from McMaster-Carr's website....

SAE 863 Bronze
Also called Super Oilite®, this material is similar to SAE 841 but contains more iron for greater strength. Color is silver because of the iron.

Some people's knowledge of metallurgy is a bit lacking. Not trying to be a dick....
Manning is offline   Reply With Quote