Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler Brand Specific Tech > Heritage Crawlers > Axial XR10

Notices

Thread: ~53 Willys Builds a XR10 Beetlejuice~

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-19-2010, 11:25 AM   #1
I wanna be Dave

Default ~53 Willys Builds a XR10 Beetlejuice~

with all the hype around these axles I had to give them a try...1st thing I did after some reading was order some 9mm bearings..it sounds like a must if you wanna bring some reliability into them..I also need to thank Krawlfreak from Y-Town crawlers for his very techy thread...I mostly copied his set up
thanks Krawlfreak!!
build specs
XR10 axles with upgraded 9mm bearings
Lipo mount on front axle
VP chubs, Knuckles and lockouts
V4 Beetlejuice
Lunsford TI links
HPI 4" Shocks
HH BR-XL esc X2
Banzai 35T motors
Mayhem "4's" UCW in front and regular in the rear~with adjustable hubs
Sedonas and rovers for northern utah then boss claws for southern Utah
HSR5990TG
Beefy robotronic arm(the only choice with xr style steering IMHO)
CC BEC 7.0v
4PK
I won some BWD XR parts in the utah state champs raffle so I threw the HD rear brace on and the HD servo mount from them..thanks to BWD for supporting Chaotic Crawlers/801rc hosted comp

some pics...I still need to paint some skins up....
I used 140mm links from lunsford and I got my bend a bit off so I dont have the transition I wanted for the rear lowers....but I just got some new links in the mail this week so I will be re-bending them so I can get the clearance I want..

sorry for the blur...I drank a bit to much coffee this morning and I'm too lazy to do a reshoot..hehe

I manged to stuff two HH BR-XL esc's in there and it was not really as hard as I thought it would be..

Flipped servo and added revo ends and an 8-32 all thread rod

DAYS of steering!!

electronics shot.

slinky links and I also removed the stock steering slide and went a full 1 piece design...

the suspension cycles soooo butter smooth on this rig!! really blows me away

Last edited by 53 willys; 11-19-2010 at 01:17 PM.
53 willys is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 11-19-2010, 11:28 AM   #2
I wanna be Dave

Another great looking BJv4! Nice build, I like your spin on it
DickyT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2010, 11:29 AM   #3
Rock Crawler

ahhhh Canada dry! best beverage ever, just add some spiced rum!

looks good man! that chassis reminds me of a prerunner with how far up the hood appears. have a weight on it yet?
yjdavid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2010, 11:34 AM   #4
Sometimes, I make things.

Nice looking rig! Those wheels look really good and the ground clearance is impressive, nice job on the links.
crazyorigin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2010, 11:35 AM   #5
I wanna be Dave

Sweet! How big is the battery you are running on the front? Dimentions please.
Jeepkid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2010, 12:16 PM   #6
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by DickyT View Post
Another great looking BJv4! Nice build, I like your spin on it
thanks dude..

Quote:
Originally Posted by yjdavid View Post
ahhhh Canada dry! best beverage ever, just add some spiced rum!

looks good man! that chassis reminds me of a prerunner with how far up the hood appears. have a weight on it yet?
I like my ginger ale with whiskey....my favorite
I only have 1oz extra in each front wheel...the plus extra weight of the UCW inner support

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazyorigin View Post
Nice looking rig! Those wheels look really good and the ground clearance is impressive, nice job on the links.
thanks

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeepkid View Post
Sweet! How big is the battery you are running on the front? Dimentions please.
it's just some Hyperion 45c 1100Mah lipos..
70mmX34.3mmX20mm
Old 11-19-2010, 12:27 PM   #7
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by 53 willys View Post
it's just some Hyperion 45c 1100Mah lipos..
70mmX34.3mmX20mm
Would like to see a picture of this. Thats pretty damn big!
limited77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2010, 12:43 PM   #8
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by limited77 View Post
Would like to see a picture of this. Thats pretty damn big!
same lipo Krawlfreak is running..he runs 1100's and 900's...the 900's are 2mm less in height. (18mm)
I'm a bit worried about the lipo getting beat up...we will see how it goes...may just build a small hard cover to help keep it safe..?

Old 11-19-2010, 12:46 PM   #9
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
same lipo Krawlfreak is running..he runs 1100's and 900's...the 900's are 2mm less in height. (18mm)
I'm a bit worried about the lipo getting beat up...we will see how it goes...may just build a small hard cover to help keep it safe..?

looks good to me!

i run the 1100's to practice and the 900's for comp.

i have yet to hurt or even scratch up a battery yet. i guess it depends on how well you stay on all fours though
krawlfreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2010, 12:51 PM   #10
Rock Crawler

Hey Mark,

harrumph, what's about the Bully?

...but the XR's lookin very clean at the BJ

How did you bend the Ti Links? I bent some new for my Berg yesterday
and it's not easy to get them the same way.

Greetings Frank
Dr.Frank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2010, 01:03 PM   #11
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by krawlfreak View Post
looks good to me!

i run the 1100's to practice and the 900's for comp.

i have yet to hurt or even scratch up a battery yet. i guess it depends on how well you stay on all fours though
thanks J...and thanks for offering up soooo much set-up info...thats real nice of you and helpful.

judging by my last body I may be spending a bit to much time on my lid.....i'm gonna have to work on that

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr.Frank View Post
Hey Mark,

harrumph, what's about the Bully?

...but the XR's lookin very clean at the BJ

How did you bend the Ti Links? I bent some new for my Berg yesterday
and it's not easy to get them the same way.

Greetings Frank
I'm still rocking the bully...and will still be comping it....just gotta give this XR a try and see how it goes

I built a "violator" bender similar to the one in krawlfreaks thread.....I found it very very hard to duplicate bends with it..since the links are so short....(thats how I screwed up my rear lowers)
so I ended up marking two links and clamping them in the vise and bending two links at one time with a long snap-on box wrench...it was waaaaay easier for me to keep the bends the same and equal..it leaves a couple real small marks on the links but I dont care they are just gonna get beat up on the rocks anyways.....the TI links bent easier then my 1/4" SS links I have been building for my bully axled rig...the only down fall is the stress of screwing up a Lunsford links since the long ones are about $9 bucks a pop...screwing up can get expensive really fast..haha
Old 11-19-2010, 01:45 PM   #12
Quarry Creeper

i'm in the process of shoppng for bully axles beacuse of your build threads .....

its nice to see you in the XR-10 forums!!!

those V4's are real sexy ...... can you show how you mounted the battery plate???

thanks
strawb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2010, 02:10 PM   #13
I wanna be Dave

Good looking rig I will be working on your prototype wheels this weekend.......
Mayhem Eng. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2010, 02:14 PM   #14
Rock Crawler

Quote:
...the only down fall is the stress of screwing up a Lunsford links since the long ones are about $9 bucks a pop...screwing up can get expensive really fast..haha
So i did, bending them together is much easier. I made mine out of 6mm Grade 5 Ti, that's much cheaper (okay, working time and the cost of a lathe don't count here ) 1 m (3.3 ft.) are about 15$. Cutting treads on Ti isn't the easiest thing, but it comes close to SS. BTW the Lunsford treads are rolled, that's a bit of an advantage on your side.

You will see the XR isn't the badest thing to have, but it needs more attention for the gearboxes, Bully's don't, just beat them.

Greetings Frank
Dr.Frank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2010, 04:13 PM   #15
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by strawb View Post
i'm in the process of shoppng for bully axles beacuse of your build threads .....

its nice to see you in the XR-10 forums!!!

those V4's are real sexy ...... can you show how you mounted the battery plate???

thanks
Bully axles are pure beef.....and so reliable..I have grown to like the scrub steer they have...you can really grab a ledge when your scrub steer allows you to "reach" for ledges.... and with a couple mods(steering mod) the bully axle can really shine!!!
I will grab a pic of my lipo mount later....it's nothing fancy...and might even be considered ghetto....but it's seems solid and works.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mayhem Eng. View Post
Good looking rig I will be working on your prototype wheels this weekend.......
thanks Dan....I'm super pumped to get my hands on a set of those new beadlocks in a UCW flavor
thanks for all your support..

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr.Frank View Post
So i did, bending them together is much easier. I made mine out of 6mm Grade 5 Ti, that's much cheaper (okay, working time and the cost of a lathe don't count here ) 1 m (3.3 ft.) are about 15$. Cutting treads on Ti isn't the easiest thing, but it comes close to SS. BTW the Lunsford treads are rolled, that's a bit of an advantage on your side.

You will see the XR isn't the badest thing to have, but it needs more attention for the gearboxes, Bully's don't, just beat them.

Greetings Frank
yeah I'm used to not EVER thinking or worrying about my axles....bully axles have always come through for me and never let me down
Old 11-19-2010, 08:28 PM   #16
Rock Crawler

Looknin good Mark! Im also in the process of building a xr10 just waiting for the vp motor plates so I dont have to mess with drilling out the stock motor plates.
tuner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2010, 09:09 PM   #17
I wanna be Dave

Great setup. I guess I'm gonna have to work harder on making a battery tray this week.

Bending the links in the vise worked well for me too.
ittybitty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2010, 10:44 PM   #18
Quarry Creeper

Looks great mark, I love the bjv4. So 35t motors in a xr10...... hmmmm the book said nothing lowere than a 45. Let me know how it works out.
Well with bigger bearings it may not be so bad. after your last paint job can't wait to see what you do on this.
RockSurfer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2010, 09:11 AM   #19
I wanna be Dave

Super clean.

Does the tire scrub your battery behind the front axle when you are turned full lock? Did you have to reduce your EPA or are you still max steer?

Thanks!
Harvo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2010, 10:39 AM   #20
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by gs tunner View Post
Looknin good Mark! Im also in the process of building a xr10 just waiting for the vp motor plates so I dont have to mess with drilling out the stock motor plates.
thanks Tim...you gonna take your BJ berg apart and use the chassis? or just build it up stock for now?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ittybitty View Post
Great setup. I guess I'm gonna have to work harder on making a battery tray this week.

Bending the links in the vise worked well for me too.
thanks dude

Quote:
Originally Posted by RockSurfer View Post
Looks great mark, I love the bjv4. So 35t motors in a xr10...... hmmmm the book said nothing lowere than a 45. Let me know how it works out.
Well with bigger bearings it may not be so bad. after your last paint job can't wait to see what you do on this.
thanks...yeah the 35t was just what I had around so I used them...hopefully they are not gearbox shredders..lol

I can only dream of painting good like my state champs body...that was the paint work of a pro!! Brian from briansbodies on the forum did me up that lid and it turned out beautiful!!! my paint never sticks and always flakes or peels off...I wish I had 1/4 the skill he has.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harvo View Post
Super clean.

Does the tire scrub your battery behind the front axle when you are turned full lock? Did you have to reduce your EPA or are you still max steer?

Thanks!
thanks...yeah the lipo is gonna be super close it does not touch at full steer...but it might if the tire is smudging or folding over....sadly winter has set in here and my testing is gonna be some what limited for a while...

woke up to this out the front door...

here is a shot of my somewhat ghetto lipo mount...
I tapped the alum on and angle and just used a longer lower contol arm bolt to run up through the lipo mount..once the lipo mount gets tight it sucks down onto the gearbox and makes for a tight no moving mount...
pretty simple...pretty ghetto....but it works well so...