Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler Brand Specific Tech > Heritage Crawlers > Axial XR10

Notices

Thread: Gear Grease

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-27-2010, 08:04 PM   #1
I wanna be Dave

Default Gear Grease

What is the recommended gear grease?

I'm using MasterPro, Hi-Temp Disc Break Wheel Bearing Grease.

Is there something better to use?

I'm getting ready to put my rear axle back together after screwing it up the last time, wanted to make sure I did things right. I'm putting a liberal amount of this stuff on the gears, but the two times I have taken my rear axle apart I've found most of this stuff on the inside of the axle housing. It does an outstanding job of catching the bits of gears when they shear off. (First time was bad gears, the second was bad screw placement).

Thanks.

(I tried doing a search, got tired of paging through page after page. Figure it'd help if there was a thread just for this topic)
Greatscott is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 11-27-2010, 08:31 PM   #2
I wanna be Dave

I used Lucis Red"N"Tacky. Have been using it on my LCC ever sicne Losi released it. Works great.
Jeepkid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2010, 09:21 PM   #3
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeepkid View Post
I used Lucis Red"N"Tacky. Have been using it on my LCC ever sicne Losi released it. Works great.
X2 on the Lucas Red & Tacky, I used it on my Losi as well and never had any problems
BFGcrawler418 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2010, 12:03 AM   #4
Rock Crawler

I use some stuff called dyna-myte red from Husk-itt. Works great and it's semi-synthetic. It runs about $7.00 for a tube. Worked great on my Losi so I use it on my XR. Really good sh!t!!
ynmech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2010, 05:50 AM   #5
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeepkid View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by BFGcrawler418 View Post
X2 on the Lucas Red & Tacky, I used it on my Losi as well and never had any problems

This is the best stuff out there imo. I've never had a Losi crawler but this stuff is in all my axles. It's sticky, lubes very well, is cheap, and can be found at any auto parts store.
Turn'Nburn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2010, 06:34 AM   #6
Quarry Creeper

Another vote for red N tacky...I love it, only complaint is i've only found it in a grease gun tube, so I take it out and put it in a container is all so I can grab a gob with my hands and put it where I want it. Otherwise..great stuff and fairly cheap, about 5-6 a tube and for just rc use a tube lasts me a long time and I rebuild and relube quite often.
D-ran83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2010, 08:39 AM   #7
www.team3sixrc.com

Rocksmith gearjelly is designed for your R/C application. I have just received another order and have 8 jars left in stock.

Product Review:
We are very proud of the special lubricant that is designed to do what an RC lubricant should do. Stick to the gears and provide longevity and performance. Designed initially for The RC4WD R2 transmission which is an all metal geared, metal cased popular transmission used in Rock Crawling. The idea was to create a product that would quiet gear noise and keep them quiet while still providing protection to the gears. What ended up happening is not only did it quiet the gear noise, but as the product begins its break down process it actually coats the gears better and promotes lower temperatures and less wear. A special mixture of High grade synthetic greases and special additives that when combined are a perfect match for just about any RC application involving transmissions and geared axles. Since its development Rocksmith Engineering has sold over 8,000 Units in 16 different countries and is being used in everything from Losi, Axial, Berg, Bully and Venom Rock Crawler's with metal or plastic gears to Monster truck Clod gear cases. Our customers are our number one priority and swear by this product so much so that repeat business isn't just usual, its a given. Our testimonials speak volumes as well as being used and endorsed by Pro Losi driver Jake Wright which Rocksmith Gearjelly helped him to take the 2009 SocalRc Rc finals to first place. We hope to continue to provide great product's and develop future products for years to come. Our belief is that we help RC to grow by allowing the enthusiast or pro to enjoy their hobby to the fullest potential.

Testimonials:
(Stromin2u): I have every gear face on every rig I own lubricated with Gearjelly. This stuff is absolutely amazing. I have tried everything on my R2D to get it quieted and when I saw your product, I thought I would give it a try and WOW! Nothing even comes close to Gearjelly.

(Dezfan) : I got my Gearjelly and lubed up the Bergs! it really dropped the decibel level! Thanks Rocksmith!

(dirtrackdemon93): Yeah once you try the Gearjelly you wont use anything else on your crawlers. I ordered one for me and a buddy and then just turned around and ordered another. I got quite a fleet but after using it in one of my rigs, I was SOLD!! Keep it up Rocksmith!

(Code454): Rocksmith gearjelly is the best there is PERIOD!

(Rockcrawler): Well, I brought my R2 into work today to get it cleaned up a little. Took everything apart so I could soak it in cleaner to get the Gearjelly off. Now keep in mind that work in an industrial plant as a pipe fitter and we use some pretty strong cleaner to get oil, paint, and grease off pipe that is used for Oxygen. So you have to remove any oils or grease really well or when mixed with Oxygen, it can go BOOM! Put all my parts in a tin can and soaked it in the cleaner for about 15 minutes. This usually takes grease and paint off instantly! I had to clean my parts 3 times in this stuff to get all the Gearjelly off! needless to say, Rocksmith is telling the truth when he says this stuff is designed to stick to the gears without slinging off. Good job Rocksmith, I will be getting more from you soon.

Last edited by team3six; 11-28-2010 at 09:08 AM.
team3six is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2010, 08:43 AM   #8
Quarry Creeper

X2 on the rocksmith engeneering gear jelly.
big_boss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2010, 12:28 PM   #9
Quarry Creeper

Really really happy with gorilla Snawt Grease.
Works great in all my RC cars.

Wouldn't mind trying the Rocksmith stuff though.

How much for a tub shipped the Greece?
cbr6fs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2021, 07:55 AM   #10
Quarry Creeper

Default Re: Gear Grease

I am finally running out of Gearsmith. I can't find a place to buy more. Any suggestions on where to get it or a new and equal product?
Jeep-Power is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2022, 12:34 PM   #11
Rock Crawler

Default Re: Gear Grease

Just got my Lucas Oil Red N Tacky in and I must say, it seems pretty great! We’ll see how it holds up after a while. It is quite sticky so that’ll be nice to ensure the gears still have grease and not the gear case haha.
Krawler23 is offline   Reply With Quote