Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler Brand Specific Tech > Heritage Crawlers > Axial XR10

Notices

Thread: What Upgrades??

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-06-2010, 06:30 PM   #1
Pebble Pounder

Default What Upgrades??

Hi, I'm planning on getting a XR10 fairly soon and would like to know the upgrades that are needed. I always check to see what the best setup is before buying a rig. Getting everything all in one go is a lot better than having to wait for stuff in the mail. lol I have a JR 8711 servo and plenty of lipo's. What speedo's will be best? Motors? Aluminum Upgrades to get.....etc. Thanks in advance.
Tommy_Boy_1184 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 12-06-2010, 07:07 PM   #2
Quarry Creeper

There are tons of build threads on here. I would advise you to read as much as you can. Just by reading and learning what works for other people, you'll get an idea of which way you want to go. Check out my threads. They should help.
Gat714 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2010, 07:21 PM   #3
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tommy_Boy_1184 View Post
Hi, I'm planning on getting a XR10 fairly soon and would like to know the upgrades that are needed. I always check to see what the best setup is before buying a rig. Getting everything all in one go is a lot better than having to wait for stuff in the mail. lol I have a JR 8711 servo and plenty of lipo's. What speedo's will be best? Motors? Aluminum Upgrades to get.....etc. Thanks in advance.
Here are two local builds you can check out.

Limited's Y-Town BJ4

Ittybitty's BJV4 XR10

Last edited by limited77; 12-06-2010 at 08:20 PM.
limited77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2010, 08:10 PM   #4
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gat714 View Post
There are tons of build threads on here. I would advise you to read as much as you can. Just by reading and learning what works for other people, you'll get an idea of which way you want to go. Check out my threads. They should help.

X2, My eyes burn from reading all the build threads on this kit, but I have learned a ton of info in the past three weeks. I may need glasses when this is all said and done with

Seems like most guys are running:

Two Tekin FX-R's
Futaba 4PK radios
Some kind of bearing/bushing mod in the axles (read up on this)
Hitec 7950 servo
A lot of Vanquish parts
BLKXJ 96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2010, 08:19 PM   #5
I wanna be Dave

I am just waiting on Vanquish to release the full Ubatomium XR-10 kit.

But for now, I would read in the XR-10 section.
Szczerba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2010, 11:08 PM   #6

ya like they said it all in the build treads. 4 months ago all I knew about crawling was that I wanted one. it seems like I read every thread on this site & learned tons. when you have seen what all the guys are doing & have done & why they did it or bought it. then it makes building your own much more enjoyable. this is what makes this hobby so much fun building what you want with your own opinion on why you did it that way. plus only you know what your budget is & what you want to do with it in the end.
dinodbro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2010, 08:52 AM   #7
I wanna be Dave

All the build threads in this section are top notch. I like how everyone is coming up with different mods, and ideas. You cant go wrong with this rig.
Jeepkid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2010, 03:39 PM   #8
Pebble Pounder

Thanks for all the info. I was looking through all the threads and saw Tons and Tons of builds and that's why I was just asking for ideas. Guess I better get to reading. Thanks again for the help and info
Tommy_Boy_1184 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2010, 03:44 PM   #9
Quarry Creeper

I think part of what makes our hobby so great is that everyone is willing to tell you anything that you want to know. There are a lot of RC racers that cannot say the same about their part of the hobby. If someone asks me a question about my rig, i have no problem answering or describing anything that i have done. You would be hard pressed to find a crawler who won't take the time to help you out
Old 12-07-2010, 06:35 PM   #10
Rock Stacker

Like others have said, look around at all the build threads and take note of what you like.

That BJV4 chassis with BWD links got me drooling. Looks so killer, Will definitely add those to my rig soon.
Serolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2010, 06:40 PM   #11
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Serolf View Post
That BJV4 chassis with BWD links got me drooling. Looks so killer, Will definitely add those to my rig soon.
I'm quite fond of it
Old 12-07-2010, 10:09 PM   #12
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by serolf View Post

that bjv4 chassis with bwd links got me drooling. Looks so killer, will definitely add those to my rig soon.
+1...
dude26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2010, 02:17 AM   #13
Quarry Creeper

There is a ton of info in this forum. Read, read, read. That way you get what you "want" the first go 'round, and don't was money.

For any topic, search first, then if you don't find your answer post.

The "pro" rig right now is two Tekin FX-r's. I have the Novak M2 Dig, which is pretty new. I would encourage you to research it carefully, as this one product replaces 2 FX-R's, the dig and BEC. With the limited working space inside the chassis, this can be a big benefit in wrenching, plus it's a more simple and straight forward config.

I upgraded the chassis on my AX-10 to an UGC Fastback, and it made a huge difference! But Axial has learned from users over the years, and the stock chassis isn't bad. Especially since you're new to crawling, I'd stick with the stock chassis initially, until you find specific shortcomings (if any perceived by you) that you need to address with a replacement chassis.

Just some random thoughts. Enjoy the research and enjoy the hobby!
JustinThyme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2010, 12:47 PM   #14
Rock Crawler

I also want to know what to buy next.
I have vanquish knuckles and wheels, Dual fx-r, white rovers, crawler inovations foam.
Maybe mother set of tires? For slippery rocks, what should i get.

What is wise for me to buy next.....
douwe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2010, 01:08 PM   #15
Quarry Creeper

the best tires i have ever tried in slippery conditions are Losi Boss Claws. Very very good slippery, or and terrian for that matter, tire.
Old 12-09-2010, 03:45 AM   #16
Rock Crawler

Quote:
the best tires i have ever tried in slippery conditions are Losi Boss Claws. Very very good slippery, or and terrian for that matter, tire.
thanks , i ordered a set
douwe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2010, 07:21 AM   #17
Quarry Creeper

You won't regret it. I would advise you to also have another set of HB rovers (white dots) for tacky situations. Those two tire combos should get you through any type of terrian.

Everyone has their own opinion about tires. Let me give you my advise. Don't buy Sedonas. They are crap. I have owned several pair in the past before i descovered the rovers.
Old 12-09-2010, 11:24 AM   #18
Rock Crawler

Quote:
You won't regret it. I would advise you to also have another set of HB rovers (white dots) for tacky situations. Those two tire combos should get you through any type of terrian.

Everyone has their own opinion about tires. Let me give you my advise. Don't buy Sedonas. They are crap. I have owned several pair in the past before i descovered the rovers.

it all comes down to the type of rock and terrain....in colorado...the only thing to run is rovers and sedonas.....sometimes claws.......but its all circumstantial to terrain and rock type
flapjack is offline   Reply With Quote