Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler Brand Specific Tech > Heritage Crawlers > Axial XR10

Notices

Thread: VP knuckles / bearing fit

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-28-2011, 06:26 PM   #1
RCC Addict

Default VP knuckles / bearing fit

I just received my XR knuckles and I am having a hell of a time getting the inner bearings to go in the knuckles. I got the drivers side in (was a little tight) but got it in. But the passenger side WILL NOT go in. I tried both the stock bearings and my AVID replacements. Should these be this tight? Has anyone else had this problem? I notice that there is a TINY ridge in the boring, is that normal?
Any help would be awesome.
calikingcrawler is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 01-28-2011, 07:04 PM   #2
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by calikingcrawler View Post
I just received my XR knuckles and I am having a hell of a time getting the inner bearings to go in the knuckles. I got the drivers side in (was a little tight) but got it in. But the passenger side WILL NOT go in. I tried both the stock bearings and my AVID replacements. Should these be this tight? Has anyone else had this problem? I notice that there is a TINY ridge in the boring, is that normal?
Any help would be awesome.
They are a tight fit but that is what you want. The trick is to make sure the bearing is lined up straight. Then it should push right in. Hope that helps.
winkscrawler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2011, 07:08 PM   #3
RCC Addict

LOL thanks man. I tried that, trust me . I also emailed VP on the subject. I have no clue whats up. Good thing my batteries are back ordered tho, cus it would suck to have this hold me up.
Old 01-28-2011, 07:10 PM   #4
cherry bomb

freeze the bearings, and put the knuckles in very hot water for a while, should re-size enough to get it together (do it quickly, you don't want the bearing stuck half in), but good luck ever getting it apart if you ever need to.
fred0000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2011, 07:12 PM   #5
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by fred0000 View Post
freeze the bearings, and put the knuckles in very hot water for a while, should re-size enough to get it together (do it quickly, you don't want the bearing stuck half in), but good luck ever getting it apart if you ever need to.
That is what I am worried about. But they have a small slit in the bearing seat so they can be knocked out. I just dont want it to be to tight and cause the bearing to fail.
Old 01-28-2011, 07:13 PM   #6
I joined the Band!

They should not be a struggle to get in at all, they are gaged with Deltronic pins to a pretty tight tolerance. they must be started straight for sure. and what fred said is great advice, freeze the bearings, and heat the arms for a fews seconds, that makes a world of difference.
tom@vp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2011, 07:15 PM   #7
RCC Addict

Tom stay on for a bit Im gunna snap a pic of the bearing seat and side wall. Maybe you can tell me if you see something wrong.
Old 01-28-2011, 07:20 PM   #8
RCC Addict

All is well. I am a dumb ass. Just ran out there to take a pic and it popped right in. I was in a hurry to get them in before the sitter dropped the baby off. Sorry TOM and VP. Great product, just gotta be smarter than the bearing.
Old 01-28-2011, 07:32 PM   #9
RCC Addict

I had a whicked time with mine. I completely busted one bearing. Then almost another. Finally took and exacto knife and some sandpaper. Then it snuggly slid into place.
articzap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2011, 09:14 AM   #10
Quarry Creeper

I found the easiest way to install the bearings was to put the outer one in the knuckle , put the inner on the stub shaft, the then put the stub in the knuckle . This will maintain correct alignment and the inner bearing will go right in with moderate pressure .
4XADICT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2011, 07:26 PM   #11
I wanna be Dave

If you get the inner bearing started you can put an old bearing on top of it and tap it in that way if needed. That keeps you from putting pressure on the bearings themselves and puts it all on the outer race. The old bearing will not get stuck but will allow you to fully install the new bearing.
ittybitty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2011, 07:44 PM   #12
Pebble Pounder

Just have to make sure there straight and they go right in, had no problems with mine
T1DAVE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2011, 07:19 AM   #13
Quarry Creeper

I havent tried to put mine in yet but in the past I have used sockets that match as closely as I can with the outter race and tap them in that way.
Gso125 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2011, 09:07 AM   #14
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by articzap View Post
I Finally took and exacto knife and some sandpaper. Then it snuggly slid into place.

I ended up doing the same thing with mine, I sat for a hour trying to get these to fit with no luck. I didn't think of the hot part, cold part trick
BLKXJ 96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2011, 03:10 PM   #15
Quarry Creeper

mine was atight fit to, one side slid in the other took a little finnesing
ebomb is offline   Reply With Quote