Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler Brand Specific Tech > Heritage Crawlers > Axial XR10

Notices

Thread: Robinson's Steel Pinions too Short?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-15-2011, 04:56 PM   #1
RCC Addict

Default Robinson's Steel Pinions too Short?

I cannot get a square mesh with my Robinson's 12T. I am running the RC4WD Machined Gears, VP tranny and plate and HH 454 16T Pullers. I am getting less that half of the pinion on to the drive gear.

How is anybody else handling this? I have looked for longer pinions and found the Losi a little over 1/2" (13.7MM compared to the robinson at 9MM).
neillarson is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 05-15-2011, 04:57 PM   #2
RCC Addict

My 13t is plenty long enough?
articzap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2011, 05:05 PM   #3
I wanna be Dave

Wierd situation! Is the puller shafts shorter than a 540? Never had one to compare too. My RR pinions work well, the motor shaft are flush with the end of the pinions as well. I got the Vp stuff with Axial hardened gears.
TEDROCKZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2011, 05:08 PM   #4
RCC Addict

Shaft is the same length but on the 454 you have to use an adapter plate as it is a "400" series motor instead of a 540. On such issue if I was using Cobalts but don;'t want the weight.
neillarson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2011, 05:09 PM   #5
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by neillarson View Post
Shaft is the same length but on the 454 you have to use an adapter plate as it is a "400" series motor instead of a 540. On such issue if I was using Cobalts but don;'t want the weight.
The plate must not be giving you enough usable shaft.
articzap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2011, 05:12 PM   #6
I wanna be Dave

I'm thinking it's the pullers shaft being too short with the adpater plates installed??
Don't the 12t pinions need some mod to the xr motor plates to make them fit right?
EDIT....I type slow..

I bought some RR pinions for my xr but once I got them in hand I thought they looked weak compared to the steel axial and losi pinions...
Losi and axial have much more threads for the set screw..
53 willys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2011, 05:25 PM   #7
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by 53 willys View Post
I'm thinking it's the pullers shaft being too short with the adpater plates installed??
Don't the 12t pinions need some mod to the xr motor plates to make them fit right?
EDIT....I type slow..

I bought some RR pinions for my xr but once I got them in hand I thought they looked weak compared to the steel axial and losi pinions...
Losi and axial have much more threads for the set screw..
Yes, In order to run the 12T pinion you must modify the motor plate so that you have enough adjustment to get proper gear mesh. I am running 12T RR pinions on my XR with stock motor plates, RC4WD Gears & VP Cases, the end of the motor shaft is flush with the end of the pinion
BFGcrawler418 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2011, 05:55 PM   #8
jwr
Pebble Pounder

Not entirely the same problem but I just swapped out my front gears for RC4WD gears and decided to use the RC4WD pinion they included. I got it all back together and was getting a loud click each time I went from forward to reverse or reverse to forward. Messed around adjusting the mesh for a bit and could never get it to entirely go away. I finally put my Axial steel pinion (AX30571) back on and it was WAY smoother--and quiet!
jwr is offline   Reply With Quote