Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler Brand Specific Tech > Heritage Crawlers > Axial XR10

Notices

Thread: Advice on building an Xr-10

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-21-2011, 04:42 PM   #1

Default Advice on building an Xr-10

O.k. so I did do some searching but I haven't really found quite what I'm looking for. I am building an Xr10, I've already decided to do that. Where I am undecided is on the electronics to run it. For the ESC, I am wanting to run either the Novak M2 dig ESC with a pair of the Novak Rock Star 55t motors, or dual Tekin FXR's with the same motors. Either will be run from a 3S LiPo. As I understand it, in order to run the dual FXR setup I need a 4ch radio, for that I was looking into the Airtronics Mt-4 system. Or can I run a 3ch with the FXR's? If I go with the Novak it would be using a Spektrum, likely the Dx3C. What advantage would I get out of either setup? Budget is not a concern here, but availability and support in Canada is. Oh and either setup would have a Castle BEC.
Mazdarx is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 06-21-2011, 05:10 PM   #2
Rock Crawler

If budget isn't a concern, go with waterproof Holmes Hobbies ESC's they are bigger than an FXR, but the performance is well worth it. They go up to 6S lipo and the drag brake is un-matched!

For a radio, you technically only need 3 channels (with the correct mixing ability) But a Futaba 4PL is great economically priced 4 chanel radio.

For motors, I wouldn't go any slower then a 45 turn. And the new crawlmaster pro motors are awesome too.

For batteries I would run either 3s or 4s.

And on building your XR-10, if you have built crawlers before, and know what your getting into. You might just want to buy the axle housings and parts seperately so you don't spend money buying stuff twice.

There's my 2 cents,

TOM
sourdojack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2011, 05:21 PM   #3
Quarry Creeper

X2 on the 4PL if a budget is not a problem.
I am running dual FXR's and they are really easy to set up and program. Really small footprint.

Had some Integy 35T but the wheel speed was a little to much for me IMO. I have HH Torque Master 45T.

Love this set up!
KnoJa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2011, 05:39 PM   #4

Budget isn't an issue but as I mentioned availability of the parts is. I don't want to buy online, and that seems to be the only way to get the Holmes Hobbies stuff locally. I don't want to go that route, I'll stick with what I can get locally, I don't care if it costs more. Futaba is a similar issue, they have a good product but I don't like the shop that carries them and I don't want to spend my money there. I would really like to stick with a Spektrum if possible, either the Dx3c or Dx3R. I know the dx3s is out as it doesn't have the 3 position switch on the 3rd channel. What advantage is there to going with the 4 channel radio over the 3? If the 4 channels are needed will the Airtronics Mt-4 work well for this?
Old 06-21-2011, 06:43 PM   #5
Quarry Creeper

I'd say go and stick it. DX6I more control on motor speeds and how the motors work.. LOL Personally I'm partial to mamba micro pros and tekin 45t's....
newtocrawling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2011, 07:01 PM   #6
Rock Crawler

The DX3C is supposed to do dual ESC mixing. I run twin FX-Rs and love them. (but i have a 4PL)
DioptricStraw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2011, 07:12 PM   #7
Rock Crawler

I run the dual FXR system with currently the novak dig system 45turn rockstars and have a losikid wantamix on the way and i run it all with a spektrum dx3r pro ....love the setup so far it works great for me ........can't wait to run the wannamix will be the only guy in our Great Canadian club that has one ...

L.M.R.C.C in beautiful BC
Lower
Mainland
Radio
Controlled
Crawlers
scorpion_ax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2011, 07:36 PM   #8
Quarry Creeper

my advise is prepare to spend money and only buy the best dont cut corners and have fun
geekfreek95 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2011, 07:42 PM   #9
Rock Crawler

I personally like the Mamba Micro Pros due to size & cost, the FXR's allow a cleaner wiring layout because of the external posts in my opinion but I don't think they are as smooth and the programming isnt the best.

I personally dont care much for the spektrum radios, You really can not beat the 4PL especially for the price and features, maybe you could pick up a used one or find another shop?
BFGcrawler418 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2011, 07:46 PM   #10
RCC Addict

I run sidewinder micros with 45t tekin pro handwounds and a futaba 4pl. You must buy a castle bec and get it programmed at the lhs you buy it from to match your servo voltage(6V-7.4V) if you are running 3s......if you are running at all, the hitec 7950th is a great servo that can be run at 7.4v or the 7954 that is a little lower quality steel gears instead of ti and lower torque but still a great servo at 7.4v, or the 7980th(611oz at 7.4v) which is what I am about to install. I couldn't be happier with this setup and all this stuff should be locally availible at your lhs. Look into getting the axial longer steering arm which is longer than stock and helps the servo run cooler(i run a bwd one) and make a solid steering tie rod too because that flat bar setup is a weak link.
Good luck with the build man, I had a blast with mine but I wanted the best parts possible in most areas so I used the vendors products here because alot of r&d goes into this stuff and it cannot be matched in funtionality compared to the major labels. I am a firm believer in supporting the vendors around here
kurtus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2011, 03:54 AM   #11
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by DioptricStraw View Post
The DX3C is supposed to do dual ESC mixing
I'm still calling BS on this capability until I see that someone has done it. What I see is that the single standard mix just can't be adjusted or toggled outside of the setup screen. Mix alone is not enough to properly use dual ESCs.
wantAsummit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2011, 09:22 AM   #12
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by wantAsummit View Post
I'm still calling BS on this capability until I see that someone has done it. What I see is that the single standard mix just can't be adjusted or toggled outside of the setup screen. Mix alone is not enough to properly use dual ESCs.

I have said the same thing, I still can't see them making a $130 radio do what the DX3R can't do for $300.

I have been waiting for someone to post up and prove me wrong as I would think about getting one myself but since that part has been avoided so far says it all.

EDIT:

I just read the DX3C manual and it is just like the DX3R as far as not being able to do dual esc without an adapter like the wantamix.

The master and slave either follow each other or go opposite from each other, there is no proportional mixing option.

Last edited by AZrcdriver; 06-22-2011 at 09:51 AM.
AZrcdriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2011, 12:17 PM   #13

Based on the recommendations locally, I am going with the Novak M2 Dig Esc, this will allow me to run the Spektrum radio that I want. I am still undecided on the motors as of yet. From what I can figure, the biggest advantage of dual esc's is being able to program different drag brake settings front or rear, that's about it.
Old 06-22-2011, 12:48 PM   #14
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mazdarx View Post
Based on the recommendations locally, I am going with the Novak M2 Dig Esc, this will allow me to run the Spektrum radio that I want. I am still undecided on the motors as of yet. From what I can figure, the biggest advantage of dual esc's is being able to program different drag brake settings front or rear, that's about it.

The advantage to dual esc is being able to proportionally control the speed of each motor. The drag brake stays the same.

In other words I can run the rear motor for example at 50% power while running the front motor at 100% power so my rear wheels still turn but at half the speed of the front so they don't want to push the rig over backwards on a climb.

You can run dual esc with dig and proportional on a Spektrum radio like the DX3R or DX3C with the wantamix adapter and it works great. I run one with my DX3R.

Most people will tell you to stay away from the M2 as very few have stuck with it long term for many reasons like very poor drag brake.
AZrcdriver is offline   Reply With Quote