RCCrawler Forums

RCCrawler Forums (http://www.rccrawler.com/forum/)
-   Axial XR10 (http://www.rccrawler.com/forum/axial-xr10/)
-   -   BWD XR-Mantis Prototype Chassis Kit...All New! (http://www.rccrawler.com/forum/axial-xr10/325324-bwd-xr-mantis-prototype-chassis-kit-all-new.html)

bigflex 07-12-2011 11:27 PM

Very sexy boss!:mrgreen:

billet works 07-14-2011 07:26 PM

10 Attachment(s)
Well, I made a few minor tweaks and added the new XR-Mantis-Dub...sorry for the delay but I had to get it as close to my vision as possible. The tweaks included more room for the upper links movement over the front of the skid along with...making the torsion part of the chassis tunable! The spreaders installed on the tail of the chassis stiffen up the movement, which is great for those who run rather limited articulation, or those who prefer a heavier setup. If you run light or prefer more articulation (or both) spreaders can be removed thus freeing up movement. It's very simple but works incredibly well.

Please feel free to let me know what you think about this. It's one of those engineering ideas that hit me in the middle of the night and then I end up going all out trying to get the idea from my head to a physical product.

BW

WAM 07-14-2011 07:40 PM

I don't mean for this to sound negative. That's an exciting looking rig. But I'm wondering -- there are so many well executed upgrade chassis out there for the XR. Does this novel design have any functional advantages over what can be done via the conventional approach? Is this the machine that will win Nationals?

Or is it more aesthetics prioritied over function? And there's nothing wrong with that as long as that fits with the buyer's expectations.

Are we going to see it in Las Vegas in a couple months?

bigflex 07-14-2011 07:50 PM

I am loving the whole approach on this design. It looks way more performance based and durable than the old mantis design. The topper looks dead sexy on it as well. I am digging this design. Well played boss well played. "thumbsup"

Omega-Tron 07-14-2011 07:53 PM

That is absolutely amazing with the topper on it. This is the only chassis that would make it worth while for me to change from my XR-wedge. I would love to try out a torsion chassis...especially one so...well, beautiful. lol :mrgreen:

billet works 07-14-2011 07:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by WAM (Post 3186311)
I don't mean for this to sound negative. That's an exciting looking rig. But I'm wondering -- there are so many well executed upgrade chassis out there for the XR. Does this novel design have any functional advantages over what can be done via the conventional approach? Is this the machine that will win Nationals?

Or is it more aesthetics prioritied over function? And there's nothing wrong with that as long as that fits with the buyer's expectations.

Chassis' don't win national level events...drivers do. "thumbsup"

I understand what goes into winning chassis designs...I've had multiple designs place consistently well at events everywhere for the past few years now. Different strokes for different folks and this setup is no different. The Mantis concept drives differently than typical full 4 link setups, and like most good chassis' it has it's own unique advantages, including solid vertical climbing characteristics and extreme breakover angles.

My suspension and torsion geometry came first...I designed the look and flow around that.

I do hope to have at least one in Vegas :mrgreen:

BW

Jeepkid 07-14-2011 07:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by WAM (Post 3186311)

Really?

Any machine could win nationals, just needs to be designed, tweeked, reworked, tested, tested, tested, tested, and then produced. Then placed in the hands of a smooth operator.
Very slick and look at the ground clearence:shock:

BurnLatex 07-14-2011 08:07 PM

Well damn! I will build another XR for this. I won't give up my Wedge chassis for nothing. I'll just add to the stable.

This thing looks crazy.

Highlucks 07-14-2011 08:15 PM

Again just WOW.;-)

Don if you get a chance can you post some video of you cycling the articulation particularly in the rear. I would really like to see how this thing moves. I know its a completely different chassis but is this likely to unload the same way the SSS-R's did?

billet works 07-14-2011 08:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by highlucks (Post 3186367)
Again just WOW.;-)

Don if you get a chance can you post some video of you cycling the articulation particularly in the rear. I would really like to see how this thing moves. I know its a completely different chassis but is this likely to unload the same way the SSS-R's did?

I'l do that as soon as possible. Given the newly designed backbone and link geometry, it actually is more stable out back and has noticeably less of the "unloading" characterstic associated with torsion based rigs.

calikingcrawler 07-14-2011 08:38 PM

Don, awesome once again. That thing is amazing to look at. And I know they are poser shots, but it looks to flex nicely.

What wheel base are we looking at? You my have said already, but I was in awe from the pics.

Also, I don't have them yet, but will this work with the vp upper link mount?

AdverseCity 07-14-2011 09:29 PM

I have to admit, I wasn't sure if you could make a topper for it that didn't destroy the look of it. You came through with flying colors, that looks awesome. Can't wait to see it in person.

SVEN 07-14-2011 09:51 PM

I know it has been said, but man that is NICE! I have never seen or have ever been able to come up with a bodiless chassis design that I cared for as far as aesthetics. But this one, I like. May even have to pick one up when available.

Postclanker 07-14-2011 10:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SVEN (Post 3186518)
I know it has been said, but man that is NICE! I have never seen or have ever been able to come up with a bodiless chassis design that I cared for as far as aesthetics. But this one, I like. May even have to pick one up when available.

With reptilian skins....it just looks like an alien
Freekin sick looking....probably buy one just for the looks alone
"thumbsup"

WAM 07-14-2011 10:34 PM

It will be a shame to put body panels on it. Looks great nude.

Maybe minimal clear lexan panels, eh?

run2jeepn 07-14-2011 10:57 PM

Looks great, What is it weighing in at RTR?

crawlski 07-14-2011 11:14 PM

Awsome lookin chassis"thumbsup" So what is the ground clearence with the set up you have on it now?

Icer.One 07-14-2011 11:24 PM

those things just scream eloquent they have the same concept of the berg tracer but are just way nicer!

Highlucks 07-14-2011 11:39 PM

Kind of... the Berg Tracer came out after the original Mantis chassis"thumbsup"

upsidedownaaron 07-15-2011 02:56 AM

astonishing. for sure.