RCCrawler Forums

RCCrawler Forums (http://www.rccrawler.com/forum/)
-   Axial XR10 (http://www.rccrawler.com/forum/axial-xr10/)
-   -   BWD XR-Mantis Prototype Chassis Kit...All New! (http://www.rccrawler.com/forum/axial-xr10/325324-bwd-xr-mantis-prototype-chassis-kit-all-new.html)

team3six 08-08-2011 06:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GEN (Post 3223163)
I'm sitting here with a cf battery tray for a T-Rex 450se v2. AND must say this cf piece has tons of flex. (only 1mm / 3/64" thick) tho.

Though I agree on the use for it on this chassis w/o the modification i mentioned above w a sliced chassis and a mono shock.

Drop a piece of Carbon fiber with 4lbs of weight on it from 4 feet and then drop a piece of delrin with the same and see what happens to the carbon fiber. as always the epoxy cracks or hairlines. which in turn weakens the carbon fiber. Delrin will more likely take the abuse as it has a better flex rating due to its oil based composite structure.

Im not saying you cant make a Carbon fiber chassis, Im saying the give and take resitance is a huge differance. The reason it is cross patterned is to take shock and it depends on how it is made and with what types of material.

Ohh and in case no one realizes this. Carbon fiber does effect radio signal. This is why it is widely no longer used for most RC Heli and RC Plane applications. There are many products still on the market, but it doesnt mean that its a good prodyct when use of radio signal is involved.

Most carbon fiber material you see used in RC are concidered class III, a weaker cheaper material used more for looks than strength. its cheaper to make and are based off a pitch based material of carbon and base B Exoxy. This is known a (CAN)
Colyacrylonitrile thisaline
These are products made for Auto accessories, RC toys, Cell phone covers. Things that can take some impact, but are not based on protection.

the Class I products are truely a much better brand based off a Rayon or Strung kevlar material and suited in a base A Epoxy resin with polymer. Mostly used in commercial applications. This form of CF is known as (PAN)
Polyacrylonitrile phenoline
These are products made for Automotove hoods, performance parts in commercial use, ect where its imparative that the material be made to take abuse to protect something and still mantain structure.
The cost differance is huge in comparrison.

GEN 08-08-2011 06:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by team3six (Post 3223184)
Drop a piece of Carbon fiber with 4lbs of weight on it from 4 feet and then drop a piece of delrin with the same and see what happens to the carbon fiber. as always the epoxy cracks or hairlines. which in turn weakens the carbon fiber. Delrin will more likely take the abuse as it has a better flex rating due to its oil based composite structure.

Im not saying you cant make a Carbon fiber chassis, Im saying the give and take resitance is a huge differance. The reason it is cross patterned is to take shock and it depends on how it is made and with what types of material.

Ohh and in case no one realizes this. Carbon fiber does effect radio signal. This is why it is widely no longer used for most RC Heli and RC Plane applications. There are many products still on the market, but it doesnt mean that its a good prodyct when use of radio signal is involved.

Most carbon fiber material you see used in RC are concidered class III, a weaker cheaper material used more for looks than strength. its cheaper to make and are based off a pitch based material of carbon and base B Exoxy. This is known a (CAN)
Colyacrylonitrile thisaline
These are products made for Auto accessories, RC toys, Cell phone covers. Things that can take some impact, but are not based on protection.

the Class I products are truely a much better brand based off a Rayon or Strung kevlar material and suited in a base A Epoxy resin with polymer. Mostly used in commercial applications. This form of CF is known as (PAN)
Polyacrylonitrile phenoline
These are products made for Automotove hoods, performance parts in commercial use, ect where its imparative that the material be made to take abuse to protect something and still mantain structure.
The cost differance is huge in comparrison.

Epoxy is flexible, thats why its used in most plastic applications.
Tho I don't wanna get into a CF discussion on this thread.

And where not going to the moon, so class 3 is more than good enough, especially if u want flex :lmao:

MitchellY 08-08-2011 06:43 PM

Ok thanks for explaining Don! Haha I'm new to the crawling world, and all this knowledge is great!

billet works 08-09-2011 02:56 PM

No worries Mitchell

Back on topic. We have a few Mantis build threads and online build instructions in the works and online tuning tips all getting pulled together this week. We also have a bunch of Mantis kits leaving our floor tomorrow :mrgreen:

BW

Omega-Tron 08-09-2011 05:14 PM

I finally pulled the trigger and ordered mine tonight. "thumbsup"

If I'm looking at the pictures correctly, the set screws for the links are included in the chassis kit, right? So all that is needed to complete it are the 12 large Revo rod ends.

billet works 08-09-2011 05:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Omega-Tron (Post 3224773)
I finally pulled the trigger and ordered mine tonight. "thumbsup"

If I'm looking at the pictures correctly, the set screws for the links are included in the chassis kit, right? So all that is needed to complete it are the 12 large Revo rod ends.

Set screws are included...all you'll need is rod ends and a pair of shocks "thumbsup"

HARDKNOCKZ 08-09-2011 05:28 PM

Rig looks amazing Don. It seems to be a very well balanced chassis & as we've seen with the OG Mantis & later, the Berg Tracer...This type of chassis works when built well & in the hands of a driver that knows his rig. It DOES seem like Delrin might have been the perfect addition to make this chassis truly competitive with the "usual" 4-shock chassis'. VERY nice work man. The PROGRESS is working KILLER for me but this one has me looking twice...3...maybe 4 times.

Jeepkid 08-09-2011 05:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by HARDKNOCKZ (Post 3224787)
Rig looks amazing Don. It seems to be a very well balanced chassis & as we've seen with the OG Mantis & later, the Berg Tracer...This type of chassis works when built well & in the hands of a driver that knows his rig. It DOES seem like Delrin might have been the perfect addition to make this chassis truly competitive with the "usual" 4-shock chassis'. VERY nice work man. The PROGRESS is working KILLER for me but this one has me looking twice...3...maybe 4 times.

Same here on the double take man. I may get it. I just need my one bud to get it and we will see if my idea will work.:idea:

Highlucks 08-09-2011 06:20 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Just a teaser:flipoff:

Full thread coming soon

Jeepkid 08-09-2011 06:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by highlucks (Post 3224848)

Full thread coming soon

Aw you luck dog

MitchellY 08-09-2011 10:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by highlucks (Post 3224848)

Full thread coming soon

No fair! Oh well, mine is getting here Friday or Saturday "thumbsup"

rop39301 08-12-2011 07:22 PM

Hi Don

Are you going to make the Mantis chassi in white?
I think it would look awsome."thumbsup""thumbsup""thumbsup":twisted:

Highlucks 08-17-2011 08:35 AM

Awesome video Don. I finally got to see it.

billet works 08-19-2011 02:11 AM

Build instructions have been posted here http://billet-works.com/build_instructions_-_xr_mantis

Highlucks 08-19-2011 04:22 AM

Thanks Don.

I am sure the buyers will appreciate it. As we have discussed when you get a chance. If you could add some downloadable .pdf templates for the side panels it would be greatly appreciated.

calikingcrawler 08-19-2011 12:03 PM

Don, thanks a ton for the instructions and tips. That's gunna help alot once my chassis gets here.

Side note: who makes that battery mount????

RockDrifter 08-19-2011 12:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by calikingcrawler (Post 3239814)
Don, thanks a ton for the instructions and tips. That's gunna help alot once my chassis gets here.

Go Rowdy Racing.... Top quality work. Fit n finish is top notch. And at his prices..... Buy 2. Lol

calikingcrawler 08-19-2011 12:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RockDrifter (Post 3239834)
Go Rowdy Racing.... Top quality work. Fit n finish is top notch. And at his prices..... Buy 2. Lol

I have the rowdy one. I was just wondering.

billet works 08-19-2011 12:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by calikingcrawler (Post 3239814)

That's my own delrin mount made specifically for the small 550 and 800 MAH batteries. Battery snaps into place :mrgreen:

calikingcrawler 08-19-2011 01:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by billet works (Post 3239856)
That's my own delrin mount made specifically for the small 550 and 800 MAH batteries. Battery snaps into place :mrgreen:

hmmmmm