Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler Brand Specific Tech > Heritage Crawlers > Axial XR10

Notices

Thread: BWD XR-Mantis Prototype Chassis Kit...All New!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-23-2011, 10:10 AM   #141
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by MitchellY View Post
Lol you sounded worried there for a minute :P
sometimes this hobby makes me scratch my head...but it usually works it's way out in the end...even the CFO smiles at me... It's all good...
Postclanker is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 08-25-2011, 07:18 AM   #142
I wanna be Dave

FYI guys, you need to make some clearance for your lower rod end where it connects to the front axle. Don't just force it in and run a screw in it. I'm updating the build instructions today. I had already clearanced mine a while back and forgot to include it in the instructions. I'm also sending out an addendum of two machined upper links to clear the front end more easily.
billet works is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2011, 07:26 AM   #143
Rock Stacker

Thanks for the update Don. I actually clearance my front links already and bent my uppers with some heat. The front end is now super free with no binds. So if anyone is concerned about front articulation, don't be. It works great!
awdtsi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2011, 09:02 AM   #144
Quarry Creeper

Yep with the front axle housing enlarged just a bit the end links really let this front move around a whole lot better. And now with some more BWD love on the uppers this chassis will become even softer.

Can't wait to get back out there.

The mod with large pictures can be found on my build thread. As well as BWD build instructions once updated.

Killer customer care from BWD!
RockDrifter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2011, 09:11 AM   #145
Rock Crawler

I'm back in town for a month or two so I now have tons of free time to test and tweak my Mantis. We also have round 4 of our summer series comp this saturday so we'll see how it works for me there. First comp with it I scored a 13 and a -4, pretty good for barely comping this year.
AdverseCity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2011, 09:32 AM   #146
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by AdverseCity View Post
I'm back in town for a month or two so I now have tons of free time to test and tweak my Mantis. We also have round 4 of our summer series comp this saturday so we'll see how it works for me there. First comp with it I scored a 13 and a -4, pretty good for barely comping this year.
You did great on your first comp with it.
Can you post your setup?
Any pointers for comping with this.
I'm having the hardest time comping this chassis.
I really like free crawling but I can;t get it to do what I want on course.
Any help would be greatly appreciated...Thanks.
Norcal_GIT_r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2011, 10:14 AM   #147
I wanna be Dave

If you guys don't want to shave your axle for clearance, another thing you can do is drill/tap a Stock Lower Rod End to 4mm and cut it down to the same length as the Revo.
SVEN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2011, 10:46 AM   #148
WAM
Rock Crawler

I suspect the ultimate fix will be when Chaotic Crawlers gets enough input (or a test-fit chassis) to build fancy bent Ti links for uppers and lowers and use axial ends where clearances are tight, revo's elsewhere.
WAM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2011, 11:42 AM   #149
Rock Stacker

I was out on the rocks this afternoon with my mantis and I found it to be a bit of a handful for the first couple of minutes. I started getting used to it and I found it really like to be driven by the front tires. I used to have the Wedge and I loved it and did very well with it in comps because it was very forgiving and slow to respond. The Mantis can climb vertical lines like nothing I've seen, but on off camber or weird transitions it is so fast to respond that I found myself on my lid quite a bit. It will definitely take a bit to get used to the quickness of the torsion chassis, but overall I really liked it and I will continue to get more comfortable with it.

I know I have been reading about how different it is to drive and I didn't really believe it, but it is lolI do like it a lot and can't wait to comp with it and refine my driving to better suit this chassis.

My setup is rovers F/R, 6oz in the front and 3 in the rear. Stock shocks, 30wt, limited to 4". Bent uppers and shaved lowers for full articulation.

I'm thinking about making my shocks back to full length and going up in oil weight to possible slow down the unloading of the rear torsion. Any other tips to slow down the reaction?
awdtsi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2011, 01:22 PM   #150

I don't have mine yet, so this is just a theory. I think that for a torsion chassis, it needs some break-in time to work some of the stiffness out of the delrin. As it wears in, the springyness will probably lessen some.

You could also try and loosen the rear up some more by using a smaller thickness screw to allow the upper chassis mount some additional wiggle room.

Just theories since I'm currently waiting on everything to put together my xr10.

Regardless, I'm gonna have to learn new crawling technique as compared to my brick of a bully.
benchemist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2011, 01:46 PM   #151
www.team3sixrc.com

I have to say this.
I have known Don for several years and he makes some most phenomenal parts and Crawlers I have had the pleasure of owning. Some guys make chassis's, some guys copy engineering. Don is one if the few chassis designers who actually gets it.

The new Mantis will take getting used to in building and driving.
like the SSS, which was one of my favorites to drive. It takes relearning and understanding.

Not sue if some of you know what finesse means, but you really have to re-teach yourself driving habits to find the awesomeness in the capabilities of this truck.

Everyone has electronics and motor choices as well as wheels. Some may work better than others. But if you do it right, you'll be happy.

Great work once again Don. It will be truely one of your better accomplishments.

Last edited by team3six; 08-25-2011 at 03:41 PM.
team3six is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2011, 03:28 PM   #152
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by team3six View Post
I have to say this.
I have known Don for several years and he makes some most phenomenal parts and Crawlers I have jade the pleasure of owning. Some guys make chassis's, some guys copy engineering. Don is one if the few chassis designers who actually get it.

The new Bantus will take getting used to in building and driving.
like the SSS, which was one of my favorites to drive. It takes relearning and understanding.

Not sue if some of you know what finesse means, but you really have to reteach yourself driving habits to find the awesomeness in the capabilities of this truck.

Everyone has electronics and motor choices as well as wheels. Some may work better than others. But if you do it tight, you'll be happy.

Great work once again Don. It will be truely one of your better accomplishments.
I totally agree with all that! Just one more thing to add is that with relearning crawling this type of chassis, it will make you a much better driver in the end! I'm really loving it so far! And with over 12 hours through mine already, it just keeps getting better and better! The chassis seems to be "breaking in" more and more as i drive it more.
MitchellY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2011, 12:23 AM   #153
I wanna be Dave

got my chassis today Don....I have to work all weekend though....Bleh
needless to say...my mind is elswhere...really looking forward to building this and getting some wheel time in with it...thanks for the quick shipping

can't wait to post up some pics...
Old 08-29-2011, 09:31 PM   #154
Rock Crawler

Got the new bent upper links today! Theyre awesome Don! Thanks for looking out for your customers!
Old 08-29-2011, 11:01 PM   #155
RCC Addict

Quote:
Got the new bent upper links today! Theyre awesome Don! Thanks for looking out for your customers!
X2. Got mine today also. They not only look great but the really function nicely.
calikingcrawler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2011, 11:46 PM   #156
I wanna be Dave

Quote:

x2...got mine today...I will deal with BWD anytime....class act...thanks Don

will post some pics when I'm together.....
Old 08-29-2011, 11:47 PM   #157
I wanna be Dave

guess that should have been "x3"...crawler King beat me to it
Old 08-29-2011, 11:52 PM   #158
Quarry Creeper

What? new bent links? Sweet. I didn't know.

No 4x here yet. I is from Canada. It took a week longer to get my kit than you guys.
BurnLatex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2011, 12:00 AM   #159
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by BurnLatex View Post

No 4x here yet. I is from Canada. It took a week longer to get my kit than you guys.

sorry bud....but at least you will get it.....would be fun to crawl with all these guys that have a mantis...we could have a Mantis-fest
Old 08-31-2011, 09:38 PM   #160
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by BurnLatex View Post

Haha the United Parcel Smashers (also known as UPS) like to test our patience hang in there bud! They'll get there eventually, and they are WELL worth the wait!