Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler Brand Specific Tech > Heritage Crawlers > Axial XR10

Notices

Thread: Radio choice

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-13-2011, 08:32 AM   #1
WAM
Rock Crawler

Default Radio choice

So it seems like the big dogs are typically running 4PK's. I've read in threads that the 4PL also works for dual ESC's, and is what, half the price?

Me, I'm starting with a DX6i twin stick because I have it. But if I decide to buy a pistol grip, what would be the reason to spend the extra money for a PK versus a PL? I'm sure it has more bells and whistles -- but does it actually do something on the rock I can't do just as well with a PL?
WAM is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 07-13-2011, 02:02 PM   #2
TN State Champ 11,12,13

Quote:
Originally Posted by WAM View Post
So it seems like the big dogs are typically running 4PK's. I've read in threads that the 4PL also works for dual ESC's, and is what, half the price?

Me, I'm starting with a DX6i twin stick because I have it. But if I decide to buy a pistol grip, what would be the reason to spend the extra money for a PK versus a PL? I'm sure it has more bells and whistles -- but does it actually do something on the rock I can't do just as well with a PL?

More Bells and Whistles
Pdog7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2011, 02:18 PM   #3
I wanna be Dave

4pl or 4pk. Every other choice is the wrong one
Jeepkid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2011, 02:48 PM   #4
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by WAM View Post

I don't knnow how your dx6i is setup. But with my futaba 6ex, I can hit front or rear dig 10x faster than anyone with a 4pk.

I say stick with the dx6i.
shelby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2011, 03:37 PM   #5
WAM
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by shelby View Post
I don't knnow how your dx6i is setup. But with my futaba 6ex, I can hit front or rear dig 10x faster than anyone with a 4pk.

My XR kit is only half-built, so I'm not using the TX yet. Frankly I don't know how to set it up, but I'll figure it out or get help when I get to that point.

My twinstick is "ground-modified" -- both sticks return to center position. I kinda want to keep steering and throttle the same as my planes, throttle on left stick, up & down (for reverse) and steering on right stick, side to side. I assume people use a third movement to slow or stop the front or rear motors for dig. How is yours set up?
Old 07-13-2011, 09:55 PM   #6
20K Club

Quote:

I have a 6EX and it is just not even possible to flip the switches on it faster than on a 4PK. Even the TOP stick radio drivers switched to pistol grip radios in order to be more consistent. A stick radio does not belong on a 2.2 rig.
Harley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2011, 10:00 PM   #7
20K Club

There are many differences between the 4PL and 4PK. I won't/can't list them all but here is a few.

The dig is operated differently. The 4PK does it with separate buttons which is nice because you can cycle faster and know you are not going to accidently hit the wrong dig.

The mixing values are displayed on the main screen on the 4PK

The 4PK has two programmable mixes to be used for whatever you want.

The 4PKS and 4PL both have 4WS programming

The response time is faster on the 4PK

The RX's are much cheaper on a 4PL

There are more but it is hard to list it all.
Old 07-13-2011, 10:18 PM   #8
jwr
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harley View Post

I have a 6EX and it is just not even possible to flip the switches on it faster than on a 4PK.
No sure about your 6EX but with my RDS8000 stick radio you don't need to hit any switches. You can have full independent control of both axles simultaneously--one stick per axle. Almost infinitely variable speeds. Locking up an axle with full dig just looks kind of crude when you can instantly slow down or speed up just one or the other axles as needed

Or if you really want to suck that suspension down (and take a minor penalty) you can always move the front stick forward and the rear stick backward for some serious squat.

Of course most of you guys would still blow me away regardless of the radio--but stick radios are a lot of fun!
jwr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2011, 10:21 PM   #9
WAM
Rock Crawler

Thanks Harley. I'm not needing a full list of differences. Just whether the 4pl will not put me at a significant comp disadvantage. The price difference is significant for those on a budget.
Old 07-13-2011, 10:21 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwr View Post
No sure about your 6EX but with my RDS8000 stick radio you don't need to hit any switches. You can have full independent control of both axles simultaneously--one stick per axle. Almost infinitely variable speeds. Locking up an axle with full dig just looks kind of crude when you can instantly slow down or speed up just one or the other axles as needed

Or if you really want to suck that suspension down (and take a minor penalty) you can always move the front stick forward and the rear stick backward for some serious squat.

Of course most of you guys would still blow me away regardless of the radio--but stick radios are a lot of fun!
This is the stuff i was thinking about using my Aurora 9 for. If you could get good using it. The possibilities would be endless...
maeu2003 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2011, 10:52 PM   #11
Pebble Pounder

I have the same radio as JWR and must say I really enjoy it. One mix is set so the left stick controls both motors and my right controls the steering. At the same time if I want to speed up or slow down the rear motor I can use the right stick to override the left stick. At the flip of a switch I can control the motors independently as well. If I was to convert the reared for rear steer I would have even more options.
JonU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2011, 10:55 PM   #12
Pebble Pounder

All said though, I think you can't go wrong with either of those pistol grips. If you can swing it I would go for the 4PK.
JonU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2011, 11:33 PM   #13
RCC Addict

Quote:

I have a 6EX and it is just not even possible to flip the switches on it faster than on a 4PK. Even the TOP stick radio drivers switched to pistol grip radios in order to be more consistent. A stick radio does not belong on a 2.2 rig.
I understand you want people to buy futaba's $500 radio. But i'll make a video and show you how mine is set up.
shelby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2011, 12:07 AM   #14
20K Club

Quote:
I understand you want people to buy futaba's $500 radio. But i'll make a video and show you how mine is set up.
Pretty sure I'm pretty aware of about every way you can set one up

The 4PL at the least is just a much better option as far as consistent driving with a 2.2 rig.
Old 07-14-2011, 12:21 AM   #15
Tossin' Salad

At $200 USD, you cant go wrong with the 4PL. I am super happy with it. I use it for my super, and will use it for my XR.

Casey
KC_JoNeS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2011, 08:28 AM   #16
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Pretty sure I'm pretty aware of about every way you can set one up

The 4PL at the least is just a much better option as far as consistent driving with a 2.2 rig.
Ever consider that Shelby's option is the best for him.
Not to insult you Harley but you come across at times as the end all authority on everything RC and no one can have a better idea or option than you. Just my observation of your posts...I'm sure you could careless about what others think of you. I just had to voice my feelings.

BTW I love my 4PL but I won't say it's the only or best radio. Find whats best for you!!!
Norcal_GIT_r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2011, 08:36 AM   #17
WAM
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by KC_JoNeS View Post
At $200 USD, you cant go wrong with the 4PL. I am super happy with it. I use it for my super, and will use it for my XR.

Casey
That's what I wanted to hear.

But I'll still try my DX6i first since I have it. Who knows? I might like it. I'd like it more if there was a good thread on how to set it up. I'm pretty sure I know how to install batteries and turn it on. The rest I'll have to figure out.
Old 07-14-2011, 09:20 AM   #18
20K Club

Quote:
Originally Posted by Norcal_GIT_r View Post
Ever consider that Shelby's option is the best for him.
Not to insult you Harley but you come across at times as the end all authority on everything RC and no one can have a better idea or option than you. Just my observation of your posts...I'm sure you could careless about what others think of you. I just had to voice my feelings.

BTW I love my 4PL but I won't say it's the only or best radio. Find whats best for you!!!
I'm sure it does work, that wasn't the discussion. The discussion was about the speed of the digs.

I wanted to run sticks before, thats when I did a ton of experimenting. Futaba has then also sent me a 6EX to work with so I can help with support. I have worked with all the possible programmings now, both throttles on one with no switch for dig, seperate sticks when mixing is turned off, switches with both mixes on one stick, etc. Anyway you do it you can't cycle the dig on and off faster than the quick hit of the 4PK button. That was the discussion.

The reason the 4PK and 4PL are so popular is because of the ability to have a consistent feel. It is impossible for 99.9% of people to be able to feed power into both motors evenly at a different rate. The stick may give you more infinite control variations but you can't do it nearly as consistent. This is why the pistol grip radios dominate all classes now.
Old 07-14-2011, 02:07 PM   #19
Quarry Creeper

Would I be correct in saying more use the 4PK because it was on the market before the 4PL

...I LOVE my 4PK
ManxCrawler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2011, 02:21 PM   #20
20K Club

Quote:
Originally Posted by ManxCrawler View Post
Would I be correct in saying more use the 4PK because it was on the market before the 4PL

...I LOVE my 4PK
Actually I don't know. We have had huge success with the 4PL. With the price point being below a DX3r and it having an extra channel and just being a better radio for crawling it has sold fantastic. The 4PK help thread was started in 2008, the 4PL thread isn't even nearly a year old and it's almost as long already. That's just a quick measuring stick.