Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler Brand Specific Tech > Heritage Crawlers > Axial XR10

Notices

Thread: axial hd gears popping

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-09-2011, 11:24 AM   #41
TSK
Shelf queen

Quote:
Originally Posted by articzap View Post
Delrin lower half? I'm talking about for upper link mount. I talked to someone about making a fill-in piece for this, I just need the funds and extra upper link mounts to send to him.
That's a good idea. But I'd rather use a cap screw since you can use a larger hex driver when torquing down.

All said, the popping is an "audible bind indicator." if you didn't hear it go off, you put yourself at risk of break axle shafts or hex pins, gear pins, etc. All of which will end your day.

No one is breaking these parts because when they hear the pop, they ease off and take Nother line. If you don't hear the pop, you either aren't in a big enough bind, plain and simple. Like I said, my axles on have VP knuckles and chubs, and I hear no popping. I think it's because I run primarily on low traction surfaces.

Look at the AX a couple years ago. Before the introduction of the slipper clutch, guys were breaking axles, puns & shafts all the time. They beef up those, and they start to strip lockers & break output shafts. You don't have these issues with the XR because something gives. It's not a slipper clutch, but it's popping noise that tells you to cool it. No broken axles, no broken pins.

Irritating, yes. Broken, no.

Last edited by TSK; 09-09-2011 at 11:50 AM.
TSK is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 09-09-2011, 11:30 AM   #42
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheSCorpionKing View Post
That's a good idea. But I'd rather use a cap screw since you can use a larger hex driver when torquing down.

All said, the popping is an "audible bind indicator." if you didn't hear it go off, you put yourself at risk of break axle shafts or hex pins, gear pins, etc. All of which will end your day.

No one is breaking these parts because when they hear the pop, they ease off and take Nother line. If you don't hear the pop, you either aren't in a big enough bind, plain and simple. Like I said, my axles on have VP knuckles and chubs, and I hear no popping. I think it's because I run primarily on low traction surfaces.
Cap screws would work too. Mine is not bind. If I set it on the carpet, and floor it, it clicks. It should not be doing it then.
articzap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2011, 11:53 AM   #43
TSK
Shelf queen

Quote:
Cap screws would work too. Mine is not bind. If I set it on the carpet, and floor it, it clicks. It should not be doing it then.
Sounds like high traction.

Does it still do it on dusty/dirty smooth (unabrasive) concrete? Or try it on grass or dirt. I doubt it will pop.
Old 09-09-2011, 12:04 PM   #44
RCC Addict

Quote:
Sounds like high traction.

Does it still do it on dusty/dirty smooth (unabrasive) concrete? Or try it on grass or dirt. I doubt it will pop.
It does if I hammer it. If I start smooth its fine. But when I'm on the rocks I sometimes need to bump the truck and it pops and clicks well that's happening.

Edit: stock gears never clicked on carpet. Maybe I'll go back to those
Old 09-09-2011, 12:29 PM   #45

I always thought that the rear axle gear problems were caused by the seats of final gear bearings being oval and letting the bearings move up and down, making the mesh too loose.

At first I thought that maybe I just had a bad axle case or the case halves weren't tightened enough, but after swapping cases for new ones and tightening them down with care there was still the same slop.
The front axle final gear bearings are seated perfectly.

So I just "shimmed" the bottom of bearing seats with a couple of paper strips and had no gear problems after that.
Of course I still have to replace a few blown bearings after each comp, because I run stock everything.

This is most likely crazy-talk and I got it all wrong

But still would be interesting to know how well Your final gear bearings are seated in the back axle.

Last edited by antikas; 09-09-2011 at 12:31 PM.
antikas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2011, 12:39 PM   #46
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by antikas View Post
I always thought that the rear axle gear problems were caused by the seats of final gear bearings being oval and letting the bearings move up and down, making the mesh too loose.

At first I thought that maybe I just had a bad axle case or the case halves weren't tightened enough, but after swapping cases for new ones and tightening them down with care there was still the same slop.

So I just "shimmed" the bottom of bearing seats with a couple of paper strips and had no gear problems after that.
Of course I still have to replace a few blown bearings after each comp, because I run stock everything.

But still would be interesting to know how well Your final gear bearings are seated in the back axle.
I will grab new bearings on the way home, replace and check for slop.
Old 09-09-2011, 12:45 PM   #47
TSK
Shelf queen

Quote:
It does if I hammer it. If I start smooth its fine. But when I'm on the rocks I sometimes need to bump the truck and it pops and clicks well that's happening.

Edit: stock gears never clicked on carpet. Maybe I'll go back to those
You are probably the only guy who had the stock gears not pop.

You should just sell those axial HD geaers, or save them as spares, and go with the rc4wd gears.

as mentioned elsewhere in the forum, the tooth profile on the rc4wd gears seem taller, allowing more tooth engagement. if you look closely, they look more pointy, whereas the Axial gears have a square cut at the tip. This does make them more noisy, but this also is probably why the rc4wd geras pop less.
Old 09-09-2011, 12:54 PM   #48
RCC Addict

Quote:
You are probably the only guy who had the stock gears not pop.

You should just sell those axial HD geaers, or save them as spares, and go with the rc4wd gears.

as mentioned elsewhere in the forum, the tooth profile on the rc4wd gears seem taller, allowing more tooth engagement. if you look closely, they look more pointy, whereas the Axial gears have a square cut at the tip. This does make them more noisy, but this also is probably why the rc4wd geras pop less.
If I wanted Rc4wd gears, I would have bought two of the eight sets on our local hobby shops wall. I want the gears I have to work properly. My stock gears did POP, but only after 6 months of abuse.
Old 09-09-2011, 12:59 PM   #49
TSK
Shelf queen

Quote:
If I wanted Rc4wd gears, I would have bought two of the eight sets on our local hobby shops wall. I want the gears I have to work properly. My stock gears did POP, but only after 6 months of abuse.
Well, don't hold your breath
Old 09-09-2011, 01:33 PM   #50
Rock Crawler

I've made my RC4WD gears pop.
I think all will pop in certain situations.
I'm on my second set of RC4WD gears. They didn't fail, I wore them out. Mainly the spool gear in the axle and the little transfer gear both had their teeth wear down.
I tend to run my rig everyday and usually through 60-80 gates each day.
But they lasted many months where the stock gears didn't last much past a week.
Norcal_GIT_r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2011, 01:34 PM   #51
Rock Crawler

Quote:
you cant always get what you want whats the problem with rc4wd gears? i just put a set in the rears to replace my crab machined axials and low and behold, they didnt throw my weight off my truck does everything it did before minus the popping
GEARSCIENCE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2011, 01:37 PM   #52
RCC Addict

If it doesn't work doesn't work. Ask axial for ur money back. Good luck tho. It is like this:

I want the wife I married (axial gears) to give me a BJ or a rub and tug (to work) every day. But that doesn't happen. So what do I do, rub one out or for some guys, not me, get a "working girl" (rc4wd gears), that never seems to let me down.

Go with what works, true the axial ones should work like they are supposed to but rather than bitch and complain, pull them out get rc4wd and wait to hear from axial about the expensive ass paper weights you have in ur hobby box.

Last edited by calikingcrawler; 09-09-2011 at 01:42 PM.
calikingcrawler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2011, 01:39 PM   #53
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by calikingcrawler View Post
If it doesn't work doesn't work. Ask axial for ur money back. Good luck tho. It is like this:

I want the wife I married (axial gears) to give me a BJ or a rub and tug (to work) every day. But that doesn't happen. So what do I do, rub one out or for some guys, not me, get a "working girl" (rc4wd gears), that never seems to let me down.

Go with what works, true the axial ones should work like they are supposed to but rather than bitch and complain, pull them out get rc4wd and wait to hear from axialna out the expensive as paper weights you have in ur hobby box.
Old 09-09-2011, 01:48 PM   #54
TSK
Shelf queen

Quote:

Go with what works, true the axial ones should work like they are supposed to but rather than bitch and complain, pull them out get rc4wd and wait to hear from axial about the expensive ass paper weights you have in ur hobby box.
Hopefully your "gear" is bagged up and lubed like the rc4wd's when you are with your "working girl"
Old 09-09-2011, 01:49 PM   #55
Rock Crawler

Good stuff guys.
I think that Axial designed a great rig but cut corners on materials. Luckily we have great after market companies to get the bomber parts for our rigs..I don't see many people getting the Axial after market parts. JMHO
Norcal_GIT_r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2011, 02:00 PM   #56
RCC Addict

Quote:
Hopefully your "gear" is bagged up and lubed like the rc4wd's when you are with your "working girl"
Double bagged and loaded with gearscience
calikingcrawler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2011, 02:01 PM   #57
I wanna be Dave

Quote:

This is by far the best ways to compare it, but holy shit dude. I didnt even see this post coming.
Jeepkid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2011, 05:37 PM   #58
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by antikas View Post

This guy is the ****ing man!

I bought new bearings for rear final gear and tested in my spare back axle. Sure enough, not front to back slop, but plenty of top to bottom slop just by shaking it by hand. I threw in a few strips of paper has he suggested.

Put the truck back together and plugged in the battery. Having little faith this would work, I set it on the carpet and hammered the throttle.

NO ****ING POPPING OR CLICKING!!!!

This is the end all be all of the rear axle fix. Bearings do NOT seat properly and need to be shimmed for proper gear mesh.
Old 09-09-2011, 05:47 PM   #59
Rock Crawler

Quote:
This guy is the ****ing man!

I bought new bearings for rear final gear and tested in my spare back axle. Sure enough, not front to back slop, but plenty of top to bottom slop just by shaking it by hand. I threw in a few strips of paper has he suggested.

Put the truck back together and plugged in the battery. Having little faith this would work, I set it on the carpet and hammered the throttle.

NO ****ING POPPING OR CLICKING!!!!

This is the end all be all of the rear axle fix. Bearings do NOT seat properly and need to be shimmed for proper gear mesh.
Sweet! You should put this info on the tips and tricks thread. I'm gonna check my rear now
Old 09-09-2011, 05:50 PM   #60
RCC Addict

Good idea. Posted the original poster of that tip's quote in the tips and tricks thread.