RCCrawler Forums

RCCrawler Forums (http://www.rccrawler.com/forum/)
-   Axial XR10 (http://www.rccrawler.com/forum/axial-xr10/)
-   -   --- The Crawler Innovations XR-10 Build -- (http://www.rccrawler.com/forum/axial-xr10/335709-crawler-innovations-xr-10-build.html)

Nova's Ark 09-13-2011 07:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by chicklet (Post 3273995)
So what size hubs did you run?

Here is the wheel, tire & foam combo we ran at the comp last Saturday.

Front:
VP DH2 Wheel
C.I. 1/4" Wheel Widener (on the outside)
585 hub
C.I. Aluminum weights (6 Alum. wieghts in each front wheel for a total of 2 ounces in each front wheel)
Red Dot HB Blocks (belt sanded internally and pattern trimmed)
Proto type inner foams
C.I. Memory Outer foams

Rear:
VP SLW 1" width V4
C.I. 1/4" Wheel Widener (on the outside)
600 hub
No weight
Red Dot HB Blocks (belt sanded internally and pattern trimmed)
Proto type inner foams
C.I. Memory Outer foams

limited77 09-13-2011 08:03 AM

Great looking rig Eddie! How are you liking the wideners with the Blocks? I really want to make me a set of the red blocks after trying Itty's. He is running them on 1" rims and they are working very well. I like the extra clearance you get along with the smoothness of a pin tire. Great work!"thumbsup"

Nova's Ark 09-13-2011 08:08 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by limited77 (Post 3276599)
Great looking rig Eddie! How are you liking the wideners with the Blocks? I really want to make make a set of the red blocks after trying Itty's. He is running them on 1" rims and they are working very well. I like the extra clearance you get along with the smoothness of a pin tire. Great work!"thumbsup"

Thank you.

I really like the wideners and wider wheels. I am only using a 1" wheel with Rovers currently and I have been testing with 1.25" wide rovers again. I am also going to start modifying and testing the pink dot rover. I think there is a lot of possibilities from that tire that have not been explored.

PipeDreams 09-13-2011 08:27 AM

Watching this thread. Lovethe rig. Makes me excited to get mine done

Nova's Ark 09-28-2011 08:16 AM

We have been testing new tires with this truck:

I have been thinking about this tire for a while and finally just made it. It's a HB white dot Sedona with a HB red dot Block. The sedona has been narrowed a 1/4 inch and the block has been narrowed about 1/8. These are early pictures. I have not mounted them up yet. The Block tired actualy had to be reduced to line up properly with the narrowed sedona. It takes three tires to make one tire.

http://farm7.static.flickr.com/6153/...5562d955_b.jpg

http://farm7.static.flickr.com/6160/...7e8e604c_b.jpg

The Sedona side of the tire inside out:
http://farm7.static.flickr.com/6161/...c1f76fc3_b.jpg

The Block side of the tire inside out. The block tire had to be belt sanded before it was cut.
http://farm7.static.flickr.com/6164/...2a0440c1_b.jpg

Mounted on the XR-10:

http://farm7.static.flickr.com/6124/...6f1d7d2a_b.jpg

http://farm7.static.flickr.com/6175/...5c69e0b4_b.jpg

http://farm7.static.flickr.com/6163/...7a60fb14_b.jpg

Specs:
6.0 RTR weight
Custom 1" width VP DH1 wheels in front
Proto type foams

I mounted these up and my son ran them unmodified. He said" they do easy things hard and hard things easily". So the next day I went out and tested and pretty much confirmed what he said. We have one obstacle that we have practicing on for months now.

It's the type of obstacle where you can attempt it 20 times and if you were lucky you would complete it once. So I tried this obstacle last. On the third attempt it made it. Then it made it again. After that it struggled a few times and then it made it again. It was clear that the full pin pattern was too crowded. So I went ahead and cut a pattern into the pin side of the tire and went back to the same obstacle. It cleared the obstacle 8 times in 14 attempts. So I am clearly on to something now. I just wanted to update the thread.

bigstu 09-28-2011 08:24 AM

Three tires to make 1? I would hate to think how much a set of these is going to cost.
There must be something in the water, cause I thought 6" sedonas were crazy.. What next?
These look great. Am keeping my eye on this thread for sure.
I like the idea of a pin tire and the sedona. I would have switched them around though and put the sedona tread on the outside.
I like to run Sedonas in the front and Rovers in the rear of my rigs, has worked good so far.
This makes me wonder about half rover and half sedona tires.
Keep up the good work.

Nova's Ark 09-28-2011 08:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bigstu (Post 3301389)
Three tires to make 1? I would hate to think how much a set of these is going to cost.
There must be something in the water, cause I thought 6" sedonas were crazy.. What next?
These look great. Am keeping my eye on this thread for sure.
I like the idea of a pin tire and the sedona. I would have switched them around though and put the sedona tread on the outside.
I like to run Sedonas in the front and Rovers in the rear of my rigs, has worked good so far.
This makes me wonder about half rover and half sedona tires.
Keep up the good work.

Thank you"thumbsup"

bigstu 09-28-2011 09:43 AM

Welcome.

How does the width compare to a standard Sedona?
I am having issues with the tires cogging, because the inside lugs rub on my servo and other assorted bits.
I don't want to sand down the inside lugs, because I like to turn the tires around and get even wear on the lugs.
The side lugs do help, so I don't want to loose them or loose the ability to rotate.

With the smooth side wall of the pin tire, that would fix my cogging issues, but am wondering about the width.
I like wide tires for the additional footprint.. Can't get too much traction..

ROWDY RACING 09-28-2011 09:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bigstu (Post 3301505)
I am having issues with the tires cogging, because the inside lugs rub on my servo and other assorted bits.

Wider hubs, narrower wheels?

Nova's Ark 09-28-2011 09:55 AM

Quote:

How does the width compare to a standard Sedona?

My hybrids are narrower. Mostly because more people use 1" wide wheels and I need to develop a tire be suited for a 1" wide wheel. Standard width Sedonas, Blocks, Khaos and Boss Claws all perform best on a 1.35 wheel (In My Opinion) based on my testing.

So I definitely use and recommend 1.25 & 1.35 wheels. That said though, I have encountered a few times where my red blocks had no forward bite. So that is one reason I created this tire. I only made one pair of the tires pictured. I just made a second pair for the rear this morning. They are wider than the first pair, but still narrower than a stock width sedona or block.

Quote:

I don't want to sand down the inside lugs, because I like to turn the tires around and get even wear on the lugs.
The side lugs do help, so I don't want to loose them or loose the ability to rotate.

With the smooth side wall of the pin tire, that would fix my cogging issues, but am wondering about the width.
I like wide tires for the additional footprint.. Can't get too much traction..

I can make a set wide for you if you are interested. So no worries there. I like inside lugs but not outside lugs myself. Big lugs grab and hold where as small lugs will only hold to a point.

Nova's Ark 09-28-2011 09:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ROWDY RACING (Post 3301526)
Wider hubs, narrower wheels?

Some of it has to do with hub placement on the wheel to. VP SLW's are practically flush to the outside which has pro's and con's. The VP DH2 is flush to the outside as well.

That is why I am using a proto type set of VP DH1's I have. These wheels were narrowed from the back side and were a proto type VP made for testing of the DH2 machining. So these wheels are nearly flush at the back even with a 335 hub.

superduty03 09-28-2011 10:20 AM

I like the setup man, looks good! By the way I am loving the 6" sedonas. They work awesome up here in michigan, thanks!"thumbsup"

MitchellY 09-28-2011 10:23 AM

Oh man those tires are sweet!!!! Just what I need!

Nova's Ark 09-28-2011 10:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by superduty03 (Post 3301576)
I like the setup man, looks good! By the way I am loving the 6" sedonas. They work awesome up here in michigan, thanks!"thumbsup"

Thank you for the compliment and thank you for your business. "thumbsup"

Quote:

Originally Posted by MitchellY (Post 3301585)
Oh man those tires are sweet!!!! Just what I need!

Yes you do:lmao:
Just kidding and thanks8)

PipeDreams 09-28-2011 11:00 AM

Lovin all the testing Eddy. I always liked my sedonas because of the large lugs with good spacing but like you said when big lugs bit they hold on. I find some times the lug can be a bit big to really conform well so these could be a wicked tire.

iluvny081 09-28-2011 01:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nova's Ark (Post 3268175)
I am notorious for dragging my feet on things. This XR-10 build has been no different. It's not so much that I'm a procrastinator, it's just that new designs always have flaws and with the durability our bergs have given us, I had no desire to move to an XR-10.

Crawler Innovations became a dealer for Axial through one of our other distributors so I purchased an XR-10 kit back in June. I gave the kit to my 9 year old son Gavin about two weeks after school got out for the summer. I showed him all the parts I had slowly collected for the this truck and gave him the option to build it box stock and sell it as a roller for the store and I would pay him for his labor. Or... he could build the truck for himself and it would be his new comp truck assuming he liked it of course.

Well Gavin decided to keep it from the beginning. So he only assembled the axles from the kit. I had purchased a Y Town Crawlers, Carbon Fiber, V4 Beetle Juice from Jeremy back in April in Alabama at the East Coast Championship. So once Gavin assembled the axles, I began setting up the chassis and links.

At first I used the Crawler Innovations delrin lower links. I used black low clearance delrin links in the front and black REAR high clearance delrin links in the rear. It was set up in a 60/40 configuration. It was OK, but I did not like how my titanium upper links turned out looks wise. Being a newb with the XR-10, I also was unsure what direction to actually go with the truck. Do I use front axle cases for both the front and rear? Should I modify the rear lower links to mount to the rear shock mount? Is 60/40 best for this truck? Etc, etc, etc... I tend to over think things:roll:.

So... I scrapped the first set up and went for a K.I.S.S. (Keep It Simple Stupid) set up. I ordered titanium upper & lower links from Chaotic Crawlers along with there Ti steering link for VP Knuckles. I used 3.5 Traxxas shocks in the front and 4.0 Traxxas shocks in the rear. I also kept the axles and mounting positions as designed.

Slowly the truck came together, but it's taken three months to get it running. Mostly from me being busy running the business and partly from a lack of interest. With the historic heat wave Texas is having this summer, it's been to hot to work in the shop and too hot to go out and crawl. We have finally had some nice weather this last week. I took advantage of the Labor Day holiday and finished this truck. We have the ETXRCC season opener competition this Saturday and we will see how this trucks performs on the rocks in competition.

Specifications:
- Axial XR-10 Axles

Front axle Upgrades:
BWD HD Steering Servo Mount
BWD HD Steering Arm
Chaotic Crawlers Ti Steering Link
Crawler Innovations Engraved Servo Guard
RC4WD Hardened Steel Gear Set
Rowdy Racing Battery Tray
VP Aluminum C - Hubs in Black
VP Aluminum Steering Knuckles in Black
VP Aluminum Motor Plate in Black
VP Aluminum Transmission Case in Black
VP XR-10 Knuckle Weights

Rear upgrades:
BWD HD No Flex Rear Axle Brace
RC4WD Hardened Steel Gear Set
VP Aluminum Motor Plate in Black
VP Aluminum Transmission Case in Black

Shocks;
Front:
3.5 Traxxas Big Bore
3 Hole Piston
15 Weight Oil
JeepinDoug Mini T Spring Cups for 2.2
Mini T Soft front springs
Shock Cap Mod

Rear:
4.0 Traxxas Big Bore
2 Hole Piston
30 Weight Oil
JeepinDoug Mini T Spring Cups for 2.2
Mini T Firm front springs
Shock Cap Mod
Limited Externally 1/4" with fuel tubing

Chassis:
Y Town Crawlers, Carbon Fiber, V4 Beetle Juice

Skinz:
Custom Made by Freq-E-Tag Designs

Links:
Chaotic Crawler Titanium Link Set for the Y Town Crawlers, Carbon Fiber, V4 Beetle Juice

Electronics:
- Hitec 7955 Steering Servo; programmed and wired directly to the BEC running 7.4 Volts.

- 2 x Castle Creation Mamba Micro Pros; I disassembled these, removed the on/off switch at the board, removed all castle wiring, installed 18 Gauge wire, shortened the receiver leads at the circuit board, and programmed them.

- CC BEC; programmed to 7.4 volts with shortened leads and re-shrink wrapped

- wantamix V2.0; I got with Losikid (Austin) about two months ago to work with him on these. My original wantasummit mix was glitching and I was never happy with it on my berg. I was also not excited about the super long leads and added weight. He came up with a new firmware and a new design8). So we tested it and it was definitely an improvement over the original design. On this XR-10, the unit performs flawless."thumbsup" The unit on my berg is still having occasional issues, but I think I have narrowed it down to the DX3R. So the DX3R will be going in for repair soon.

Motors:
2 x Holmes Hobbies 35T Hand Wound

Batteries:
850mah Turnigy 3S Lipos
460 mah Turnigy 3S Lipos
We are still testing battery brands, C ratings, and mah size. So far these Turnigy batteries are doing great. The last few Hobby City batteries have failed prematurely and not held up under load.

Pictured Wheel, Tire & Foam Set up;

Front:
VP DH1 Bead Locks (1.25" width wheel)
Crawler Innovations Aluminum Weights
HB White Dot Sedona siped & grooved
Crawler Innovations Double Deuce Foams;
Firm Inner, 2.00 Width, Soft Outer
460 Hub

Rear:
VP SLW V4 Bead Locks (1" width wheel)
Crawler Innovations 1/4 wheel widener mounted on inside (brings the wheel to 1.25" width)
HB White Dot Sedona (no mods to tire)
Crawler Innovations Double Deuce Foams;
Firm Inner, 2.00 Width, Medium Outer
600 Hub

I am always humbled and amazed by the success Crawler Innovations had received. This little sticker reminds me of that and I am grateful for all the support and encouragment I have received from customers and RCC members. Thank you so much for making this possible. "thumbsup"
http://farm7.static.flickr.com/6083/...1e2b864d_b.jpg

Ready To Run Weight - 6 Pounds exactly
http://farm7.static.flickr.com/6082/...6b9753af_b.jpg

those links are effin awesome!

bigstu 09-28-2011 02:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nova's Ark (Post 3301529)
I can make a set wide for you if you are interested. So no worries there.

Going to throw jet fuel on the fire so look out. :twisted::flipoff:
6" ???

This rig looks great and would love to see it run..

greener2732 09-28-2011 08:41 PM

This is a very clean looking rig - great job!!!!!

dstrbd1 09-28-2011 08:56 PM

Tires are looking awesome. I have always liked the Sedonas, but now that I'm running the Khaos Pins they are my new favorite for sure. For the most part they crawl circles around the Sedonas but there are those few occassins where the Sedonas just seem to work better. Now a tire with the best of both worlds. I am definitely interested.

superduty00 09-28-2011 09:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dstrbd1 (Post 3302770)
Tires are looking awesome. I have always liked the Sedonas, but now that I'm running the Khaos Pins they are my new favorite for sure. For the most part they crawl circles around the Sedonas but there are those few occassins where the Sedonas just seem to work better. Now a tire with the best of both worlds. I am definitely interested.

Couldn't said it better my self i run my blocks but there is this one course that we run that the sedonas just seem to work. Great job eddie your changing the way we all crawl with your great tire ideas.