Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler Brand Specific Tech > Heritage Crawlers > Axial XR10

Notices

Thread: Matt's Viper XR10

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-27-2011, 06:52 PM   #1
Pebble Pounder

Default Matt's Viper XR10

My XR10 Viper.

Parts:
XR10 kit
UGC Viper Chassis

Suspension:
Traxxas Big Bore 4" with mini t springs
JeepinDoug spring retainers and stand off mounts
Axial 101mm bent pipe uppers
BWD high clearance delrin lowers

Axels:
RC4WD hardend steel gears
BWD aluminum servo mount and rear axel brace
VP upper link mounts
VP motor plates
VP trasmission housings
VP zero ack knuckles
VP servo armour
Robitronic servo horn
Chaotic Crawlers Ti bent tierod
Rowdy Racing front axel front guard batt mount

Wheels:
VP slw v6, 1" with 475 hubs front and 600 rear
Narrowed 1" stock wheels with holes drilled to breath
Siped HB white dot rovers
Crawler Innovations 5.5" double deuce foam, firm inner soft outer front, firm inner med outer rear
Seven ounces of automotive wheel wheights up front

Electronics:
Futaba 4PL and RX
Dual FXR's
CC BEC
Tekin 45T crawler motors
Hitec HS-7954Sh servo
Thunder Power 1350 mAh Battery
Deans plugs

Some pictures

first ever wiring job

Some awesome fake action shots

Last edited by Matt,; 01-08-2012 at 03:43 PM.
Matt, is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 09-27-2011, 07:18 PM   #2
I wanna be Dave

looks like a great start but better get a servo with the other things u need for u need it . at leat 333 0z at the smallest
slowride1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2011, 07:25 PM   #3
I wanna be Dave

Congrats on the build man. That paint job is simple but it looks good. But ya definately a better servo to go on your list.

Oh yah almost forgot to welcome you to the money pit.....
Hittman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2011, 07:33 PM   #4
Rock Crawler

Looks like a good build over all, ounce you start running with your local group you will get more ideas for mods and upgrades. Then before you know it you will shake your wallet, and a burnt up credit card will fall out. You will also be on a frist name basis with your local UPS driver..
BLKXJ 96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2011, 08:43 PM   #5
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by slowride1 View Post
looks like a great start but better get a servo with the other things u need for u need it . at leat 333 0z at the smallest
A servo is high priority on my list, the crappy one I threw on was just to get it up and running, which is what I'm really excited for.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hittman View Post
Congrats on the build man. That paint job is simple but it looks good. But ya definately a better servo to go on your list.
Oh yah almost forgot to welcome you to the money pit.....
Thanks! I actually used vht nightshades tail light tint, it didn't turn out like I had originally planed, it's kinda like speckled tint lol, but I like it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BLKXJ 96 View Post
Looks like a good build over all, ounce you start running with your local group you will get more ideas for mods and upgrades. Then before you know it you will shake your wallet, and a burnt up credit card will fall out. You will also be on a frist name basis with your local UPS driver..
My wallet already hurts! It wasn't the best idea to pick up this hobby while trying to save for school.
Old 09-27-2011, 08:51 PM   #6
Rock Crawler

Check out Value hobby, they have pretty good prices on batteries and chargers. I run the 800mah 3s lipo batteries in my XR, gets you about 12 to 15 minutes of run time. I have three of them and they only cost $8 bucks.

http://www.valuehobby.com/
Old 09-30-2011, 06:25 PM   #7
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
Check out Value hobby, they have pretty good prices on batteries and chargers. I run the 800mah 3s lipo batteries in my XR, gets you about 12 to 15 minutes of run time. I have three of them and they only cost $8 bucks.

http://www.valuehobby.com/
Well thats good to know, I might be ordering some off there soon, as the ones at my local shop seem a bit pricy to me.

It goes!!!

Tested it out on my little backyard pile of rocks and was really impressed, even with a crappy servo. You don't realize how important a servo is until you can't turn... AT ALL.

Now all I have to do is decide which one to go with.
Old 09-30-2011, 06:28 PM   #8
Rock Crawler

The Hitec 7950 or 7980 are the shizzz. No brainer or Futaba BLS also
losiking1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2011, 06:15 PM   #9
Pebble Pounder

Wee update.

I did end up getting a new servo, ran over to hobby town and the highest torque servo they had was a hitec 7954. I was really hoping they would have had a futaba 9157 but I really didn't want to order one and have to wait.

I also picked up some machined high clearance links, they only had one set in stock so I threw them on the rear.

Some 5 hour energy motor guards.

And some stickers!

Went on my first outing with the truck, and was having a blast until I got in a bit of a bind and managed to shred the gears in the rear axel(at least that's what I think I did). I'm going to tear it apart tonight and see what I broke.
Bummer right? Oh well, I guess I can get some machined gears now.
Old 10-02-2011, 07:24 PM   #10
Rock Crawler

Get the RC4WD gears, and never look back. If your running the stock bearings swap those for the Vanquish bushings. If your feeling like a "Baller" just get the Vanquish motor plates and cases with the RC4WD gears and be done.

Flip your servo, it puts the arm closer to the tire and makes it less prone to getting hung up or smashed into a rock. You also need the screw that goes into the end of the servo drive gear installed. Enough beating and banging that servo arm will pop off.. when you don't want it to..

Last edited by BLKXJ 96; 10-02-2011 at 07:32 PM.
Old 10-02-2011, 08:11 PM   #11
I wanna be Dave

In my opinion you made a good choice with the servo. Its what i have on both my AX and XR and i love it.
Hittman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2011, 06:07 PM   #12
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
Get the RC4WD gears, and never look back. If your running the stock bearings swap those for the Vanquish bushings. If your feeling like a "Baller" just get the Vanquish motor plates and cases with the RC4WD gears and be done.

Flip your servo, it puts the arm closer to the tire and makes it less prone to getting hung up or smashed into a rock. You also need the screw that goes into the end of the servo drive gear installed. Enough beating and banging that servo arm will pop off.. when you don't want it to..
Do you order directly off the rc4wd site? Do they have pretty good customer service?
Funny thing, that is exactly what happend to my servo, the horn just came right off lol, luckily I had my tools with me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hittman View Post
In my opinion you made a good choice with the servo. Its what i have on both my AX and XR and i love it.
It is pretty beefy, seems to be getting the job done.

Old 10-04-2011, 12:22 AM   #13
Quarry Creeper

wow dude. that looks bad. stripped much?
pitcher2103 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2011, 02:06 AM   #14
Pebble Pounder

Yea, seriously! How do I avoid that on my new XR? Do you have either the bushing mod or 9mm bearing mod?
spunkysandoval is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2011, 10:45 AM   #15
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt, View Post
Do you order directly off the rc4wd site? Do they have pretty good customer service?

LOL....Gears OM....NOM....NOM....NOM!!!

No, I get my RC4WD stuff from RPP Hobby, they also carry a lot of Vanquish stuff also. I have never delt with RC4WD so I can't say anything about their service, I get almost everything from RPP and they are great..
Old 10-04-2011, 10:58 AM   #16
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by spunkysandoval View Post
Yea, seriously! How do I avoid that on my new XR? Do you have either the bushing mod or 9mm bearing mod?

Vanquish bushings are about the best and least expensive mod over stock bearings that come in the kit. The stock gears don't take much to strip, one bad bounce or wad the thing up and it will probably damage something, but you can run it this way till something breaks. RC4WD gears are the way to go right now with VP motor plates and cases. I have had my RC4WD gears skip a few times with out any damage to the teeth.

Read some build threads the only stock parts most people run are the shafts and the upper and lower housings.
Old 10-04-2011, 08:32 PM   #17
Pebble Pounder

It does suck that the stock gears don't hold up, but I guess that's why they make upgrades...

RC4WD gears in the mail!!
Old 10-04-2011, 08:36 PM   #18
RCC Addict

Stock gears have seem to be hit and miss with each end user. I have ran multiple comps on a set of stock gears and they were fine, then I also took out a gear soon as I hit the throttle. Getting the upgraded bearings and vp stuff you can get away with the stock gears for awhile but its essentially like playing roulette.
DRCrawlGood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2011, 06:52 PM   #19
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
Done.

Old 10-08-2011, 05:24 PM   #20
Pebble Pounder

It goes again!

Picked up some more links, some spare rod ends, grease, and new final drive bearings because I ruined one of mine trying to get it off.

Front now matches the rear.

The new gears are pretty burley, and seem to make a lot more noise, but at least I can have some faith in my gear box now.