RCCrawler Forums

RCCrawler Forums (http://www.rccrawler.com/forum/)
-   Axial XR10 (http://www.rccrawler.com/forum/axial-xr10/)
-   -   Essential Vanquish upgrades (http://www.rccrawler.com/forum/axial-xr10/350957-essential-vanquish-upgrades.html)

Mysterious 11-29-2011 10:40 AM

Essential Vanquish upgrades

If someone was going to invest in the XR10 with Vanquish parts upgrades to improve its heartiness/strength, what parts would be definite essentials you should upgrade?

Lower front and rear lower links? C-hubs? Axle halfs? Transmission case? Motor plate?

What would you guys say are smart "essentials" to definitely upgrade vs "only if you have $ to blow" bragging upgrades?

KnoJa 11-29-2011 11:14 AM

I would say at least the trans case motor plate and upper link mount for both front and rear.

Axle halves would be nice but i have yet to eat up a gear so its not really needed!! (now that i say that, watch i blow shit up this weekend!! :lmao:)

poor_boy 11-29-2011 11:33 AM

maybe the chubs and knuckles aswell. not really essential but worth it

Szczerba 11-29-2011 11:34 AM

Check out "Harley's Complete XR10 Guide "

It's a sticky thread in this section. He has done all the work for you.

articzap 11-29-2011 12:29 PM

Bare minimum? Zero akerman knuckles.

I would also get chubs, but from hr or axial.

The rest will be fine with bushings and gears.

Robotboy 11-29-2011 12:48 PM

From VP, at least the upper link mounts.

From anyone, gearboxes & motor plates. Aluminum C's, knuckles & rear lockouts.

And for piece of mind, RC4WD gears.

dude26 11-29-2011 12:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by articzap (Post 3406434)

+1 ;-)

the upper link mount can be add but not really essential

roglum 11-29-2011 12:56 PM

i'd say knuckles, chubs and link mounts.
none vp, bearings and chaotic steering link.

DRCrawlGood 11-29-2011 01:00 PM

Vp motor plate and transmission case and you are set. The stock gears will hold up great with proper sized bearings and the stock steering can be modded as seen in "Benders" thread to give you plenty of steering. If your super hard on stuff the aluminum chubs and knuckles would be a possible option just to curb any failures.

bbking9 11-29-2011 03:11 PM

All of em.

Underground 11-29-2011 03:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Robotboy (Post 3406465)
From VP, at least the upper link mounts.

Quote:

Originally Posted by KnoJa (Post 3406312)
I would say at least the trans case motor plate and upper link mount for both front and rear.

Ok, I'll bite - what is so imperative about the VP upper link mounts that make em essential?

Mysterious 11-29-2011 03:50 PM

Wouldn't the lower links get damaged often hitting rocks as you crawl?

jeepman128 11-29-2011 03:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Underground (Post 3406749)
Ok, I'll bite - what is so imperative about the VP upper link mounts that make em essential?

They are not essential

The problem are the gears

You only need need the motor plate, gears and the knuckles

The plastic c's, cases,chubs and link mounts are Fine stock. But you need the RC4WD gears at the heart of it.

*** only exception beeing if you are a hard driver on your rigs, then I'd look a the other items,

Many top drivers are still running the plastic goods

TomMung 11-29-2011 09:44 PM

I've had really good luck with just the Vanquish bushings and stock everything else for a year now. Maybe I'm lucky, maybe my gears will disintegrate this weekend.

BLKXJ 96 11-29-2011 10:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TomMung (Post 3407468)
I've had really good luck with just the Vanquish bushings and stock everything else for a year now. Maybe I'm lucky, maybe my gears will disintegrate this weekend.

I agee with this, if your only doing some light crawling and a few comps. Start with this set up and upgrade as you brake things. Even if you comped every weekend....RPP ships pretty fast, broke on sunday......fixed by Thursday..."thumbsup"

DioptricStraw 11-30-2011 07:39 AM

From VP I have knuckles, C-hubs, and lockouts. I have traxxas bushings in the case and under the link mount, with Avid 9mm motor plate mod. RC4WD gears to top it off and I have had nooo issues.

DiggyStyle 11-30-2011 07:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Szczerba (Post 3406349)
Check out "Harley's Complete XR10 Guide "

It's a sticky thread in this section. He has done all the work for you.

^^^this x10^^^ Harley did a fantastic job of laying it all out there in an informative manner. A must-read for any new XR10 owner. "thumbsup"

Manning 11-30-2011 05:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by articzap (Post 3406434)

Another agreement with this.

The knuckles will get you a bunch more steering angle, and the bushings will go a long ways towards getting the gears to live longer.

Or an alternative to the VP bushings is the VP motor plates with bigger bearings, and the traxxas bushings in the rest of the tranny.

IMO, the rest of the VP parts are getting into diminishing returns on investment (performance vs. cost). Don't take that the wrong way, I'm not bagging on VP stuff.