Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler Brand Specific Tech > Heritage Crawlers > Axial XR10

Notices

Thread: Motor mount plate, gear upgrade and bearings?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-15-2012, 01:59 PM   #1
RCC Addict

Default Motor mount plate, gear upgrade and bearings?

Hey guys, I've been reading and asking a lot on here about the XR before I build mine. I'm just about ready to tear into the box and wanted to check on a few things I needed to order before starting.

I know the motor mount/bearings and the gears can be problematic so I wanted to "fix" those before even putting in the original parts.

I'm looking at the AX30787 XR10 Heavy Duty Gear Plate (Hard Anodized) which is an OEM part directly from Axial that looks to upgrade the stock bearings to 9mm ones and also is a bit thicker.

Next I was considering the RC4WD gear set to replace the stock set as that seems to be the most popular. They do offer a gear bearing upgrade set that also includes the motor mount plate, am I better off doing that than just the plate from Axial?

Lastly, I was checking on bearing sets. If I do the motor mount plate upgrade do I still need to upgrade the entire bearing set? Avid appears to be the most popular for that. I don't want to buy the pre-packaged kit though because 3 of the bearings for each motor mount plate won't be applicable after that.

My goal is to have a rig which won't eat itself up but it probably won't be competing. Mostly driving with my son (he has an AX10) so I really just want it to be as trouble free as possible.

Do I need to do the bearing size change or can I get away with the better gears and higher quality stock sized bearings?

Other note, I'm going to go with 27T motors and run 2S LiPo.
ik632 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 01-16-2012, 06:47 AM   #2
Rock Crawler

Default Re: Motor mount plate, gear upgrade and bearings?

The RC4WD kit increases the bearing sizes on both sides of the gearbox:
Transmission Bearing Conversion Kit for Axial XR10
Katan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2012, 07:46 AM   #3
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by ik632 View Post
Other note, I'm going to go with 27T motors and run 2S LiPo.
Using 27T motors on 2S is likely NOT the best route. The 27T's are pretty fast motors with limited torque.

Most will likely suggest 35T's on 3S.
Charlie-III is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2012, 08:40 PM   #4
RCC Addict

I've got two Castle Sidewinder SCT ESC's and I wasn't sure if they could handle 3S LiPo with 35t motors. I've seen a few build threads where folks say they are running lower turn motors like the 27t.

Edit: just checked Castle's site and it says the ESC can do 3S with motors with lower than 3800kv (now that's on brushless but brushed should be ok).
Old 01-16-2012, 08:48 PM   #5
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katan View Post
The RC4WD kit increases the bearing sizes on both sides of the gearbox:
Transmission Bearing Conversion Kit for Axial XR10
Yeah, I really like the looks of that kit. Do I need to get the upgraded motor plate too, or is the one that's included in that kit beefier than stock?

Looks like you guys are out of gears currently, any word on when they would be back in stock?
Old 01-17-2012, 12:32 AM   #6
Rock Crawler

RC4WD include motor plate w/ upgraded bearing
dude26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2012, 01:42 PM   #7
Rock Crawler

I was also looking at some stuff similar to this. A lot of people said that i should buy some better cases. Is that really necessary or not? I think the rc4wd kit previously mentioned comes with a delrin one, but that isnt metal, so is the vp cases still recommended even if i got the rc4wd kit?
Krawler23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2012, 02:13 PM   #8
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Krawler23 View Post
I was also looking at some stuff similar to this. A lot of people said that i should buy some better cases. Is that really necessary or not? I think the rc4wd kit previously mentioned comes with a delrin one, but that isnt metal, so is the vp cases still recommended even if i got the rc4wd kit?
Cheapest and easiest way to greatly improve your axles is to buy two vanquish motor plates, cheaper than axial's, and those will come with nice 9mm bearings for the plate. Then buy a $5 package of traxxas 5x8 bushings to repalce all the stock 5x8 bearings with. I did this to my front axle 6 months ago and its holding up great and i comp every other week. Now I have to do it to the rear, i broke sunday and waited for rear to go before i tore it apart. I believe bushing part number is tra5775, come with 12 bushings, enough to do both axles.
Sheepdawg23wm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2012, 03:08 PM   #9
I wanna be Dave

there is nothing bad about going with rc4wd plates and cases they just arent quite as popular as vp, sure they arent metal but i havent heard of anyone breaking one or saying there was any problem with them, go with vp if you want strength AND bling
benoj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2012, 04:43 PM   #10
Rock Crawler

IMO Delrin is the best material for MOA gear cases as it is stiff, light and slides over rocks better than anything else. That is why we (RC4WD) used Delrin for the case.
Katan is offline   Reply With Quote

Motor mount plate, gear upgrade and bearings? - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Vanquish motor plate and link mount help Matt, Axial XR10 10 10-19-2011 09:11 PM
Outrunner Motor plate upgrade needed? HaSharetz Axial AX-10 Scorpion 5 06-24-2008 06:04 PM
Anybody have a spare TXT motor mount plate kailuaboy Tamiya Txt-1 and Juggernaut 2 01-14-2007 11:04 PM