Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler Brand Specific Tech > Heritage Crawlers > Axial XR10

Notices

Thread: Foam trimming advice for Sedonas on 1 inch wheels

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-09-2012, 09:04 PM   #1

Default Foam trimming advice for Sedonas on 1 inch wheels

Posted this in tires and wheels but didn't get any bites so I thought I'd try here.

I’m looking for a little foam tuning advice. I have some double deuces- firm/medium for the back, firm/soft for the front. These will be going on some VP wheels. I have some DH Procomp II’s up front that I think I’m going to run at 1” (might go to .7”). In the back I’ll be running some 1” SLW’s. Front and back will both be wrapped with some white dot Sedonas. The rig is an XR10 with a Beetlejuice chassis. Can’t give you an exact weight as it’s not completed, but seems like most of these are running in the 5.5 – 6 pound range.
Should I trim the foams? If so, should I trim both inners and outers, how wide should they be, and how do I go about getting a nice clean straight cut?
‘Appreciate any advice.
cpercival is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 03-09-2012, 09:33 PM   #2
TSK
Shelf queen

Default Re: Foam trimming advice for Sedonas on 1 inch wheels

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpercival View Post
Posted this in tires and wheels but didn't get any bites so I thought I'd try here.

I’m looking for a little foam tuning advice. I have some double deuces- firm/medium for the back, firm/soft for the front. These will be going on some VP wheels. I have some DH Procomp II’s up front that I think I’m going to run at 1” (might go to .7”). In the back I’ll be running some 1” SLW’s. Front and back will both be wrapped with some white dot Sedonas. The rig is an XR10 with a Beetlejuice chassis. Can’t give you an exact weight as it’s not completed, but seems like most of these are running in the 5.5 – 6 pound range.
Should I trim the foams? If so, should I trim both inners and outers, how wide should they be, and how do I go about getting a nice clean straight cut?
‘Appreciate any advice.
Just get the 2" wide inner CI & you should be good to go. I do think most are swtching over Ti the closed cell innersvnow though, in which you would go with the narrow version
TSK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2012, 09:38 PM   #3

Will the closed cell inners fit inside the old style outers? That is, is the o.d. of the new inners the same as the o.d. of the old ones?
Old 03-09-2012, 09:49 PM   #4
Rock Crawler

the outer doesn't change

just a new inner so you can use your old outer on the new closed cell inner
dude26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2012, 10:51 PM   #5
Quarry Creeper

If you get the closed cell foams, get the narrow. I also have the DH II. I tried the closed cellbut I had to drill holes and cut a channel on the inside just to get the tire to vent. Got the advice to put holes in the tire. I think that kinda defeats the purpose of those wheels.

Switched to the older style inner firm with a medium outer and a medium tuning ring. I really like this setup but keep in mind I am running rovers with shaved inner sidewalls. Sedonas are a little different.
KnoJa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2012, 11:11 PM   #6
TSK
Shelf queen

I prefer having a vented tire over a vented rim. Seems to react quicker and is less prone to foam choke.
TSK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2012, 06:24 AM   #7

Just ordered some closed cell narrow inners. I guess I'll try venting the tires. Never done that before but it sounds like everyone uses a leather punch to put 3 or so holes evenly spaced around the tire. 1/16" 1/8" right? I'm guessing right in the middle of the tire (as opposed to the sidewall)?

Foam trimming advice for Sedonas on 1 inch wheels - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Foam trimming for DH/SLW combo and Sedonas cpercival Tires and Wheels 0 03-09-2012 06:54 AM
Foam trimming and rock beast chevy9534 Tires and Wheels 2 01-11-2012 08:49 PM
Foam Trimming? Tortuga275 Tires and Wheels 2 06-08-2010 07:30 AM
Foam trimming + tyre soften help please.... Immarcescibile Tires and Wheels 9 02-02-2006 07:54 PM