Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler Brand Specific Tech > Heritage Crawlers > Axial XR10

Notices

Thread: Battery Mounting

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-12-2012, 05:20 PM   #1
Rock Crawler

Default Battery Mounting

I've got a Rowdy battery mount in the front axle. It seems like my pack is getting roughed up pretty good, zack actually shorted his out from rubbing the insulation off the wires.

So, move the battery to the front of the skid plate, or mount it behind the motor and trim off the front part of the skid for clearance. I like the idea of keeping the weight on the axle, but is there any downside to trimming the skid?
zjguy721 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 03-12-2012, 07:03 PM   #2
I wanna be Dave

Default Re: Battery Mounting

Of course to cut the skid, you have to drill another hole in the front of the skid and through the chassis brace. No big deal. Leave enough of the skid to heat up and curve upward , but not enough to touch the battery.

I use the Rowdy Motor Battery mount on the XR and It's great on there. You can bend it to fit 450mah batteries sideways or keep it straight and run them longways like intended.

Last edited by Harvo; 03-12-2012 at 07:27 PM.
Harvo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2012, 07:08 PM   #3
I wanna be Dave

The Rowdy Racing motor mounted battery mount works great! I've been running one on my berg for a while now and its the bees knees!

Cutting the skid wont hurt. But like Harvo mentioned, if there is not a supporting screw in the front of it, make sure you put one there.

I've been considering putting the battery back on the chassis and seeing how it does. Battery mounted on the chassis will require different suspension geometry due to increases weight on the chassis.
jcboof is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2012, 07:21 PM   #4
RCC Addict

The Rowdy mount is the only way to go for an XR.
articzap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2012, 07:27 PM   #5
Rock Crawler

I'm using a bjv4 chassis, so I can trim the front part of the skid with no issues. Just wanted to be sure it wouldn't cause issues.

I'm still working on getting the sidehilling more planted, so would like to keep as much weight unsprung as possible.

I guess it's time to order a couple up.
Old 03-12-2012, 07:37 PM   #6
Rock Crawler

The Rowdy motor mounts are awesome, but I moved my battery into the chassis and it has worked great there. I say if you have the room, try it in the chassis first. Or order just one so you can compare it truck to truck.
BLKXJ 96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2012, 08:22 PM   #7
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by BLKXJ 96 View Post
The Rowdy motor mounts are awesome, but I moved my battery into the chassis and it has worked great there. I say if you have the room, try it in the chassis first. Or order just one so you can compare it truck to truck.
I saw yours mounted in there on Sunday, meant to ask you about it. I keep slamming the front of the axle mount and its beating the hell out of the batteries. Zack ground the corner of his battery down and shorted it right out. Maybe I'll try it once I get the knuckle weights in and see how it does.
Old 03-12-2012, 09:02 PM   #8
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by zjguy721 View Post
I keep slamming the front of the axle mount and its beating the hell out of the batteries. Zack ground the corner of his battery down and shorted it right out.
I stopped before this happened, both batteries I had were on their way to poofing out. I run 800mah 3s in the chassis and I get about 20 minutes of run time. I like it better like this, but it all depends on how you have your truck set up, and where your balance point is.
BLKXJ 96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2012, 09:08 PM   #9
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by BLKXJ 96 View Post
I stopped before this happened, both batteries I had were on their way to poofing out. I run 800mah 3s in the chassis and I get about 20 minutes of run time. I like it better like this, but it all depends on how you have your truck set up, and where your balance point is.
Yeah I figured I'll have to revamp some things once I get the new knuckle weights. Tear it apart again.....

Battery Mounting - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
battery mounting NickGood Axial SCX-10 6 02-27-2011 03:04 PM
battery mounting life_livin Axial AX-10 Scorpion 35 05-28-2008 08:53 PM
battery mounting mini-man HPI Wheely King 8 05-04-2007 09:10 PM
battery mounting obijuan General Scale Talk 2 02-25-2007 09:15 PM
battery mounting Moondust1950 Electronics 2 10-13-2006 08:00 AM