Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler Brand Specific Tech > Heritage Crawlers > Axial XR10

Notices

Thread: Project Slow Snake

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-17-2011, 06:38 PM   #1
Rock Crawler

Default Project Slow Snake

Had the maiden voyage of my XR today! Rob and Michelle from Krawler Konceptz came over for a BBQ and some wrenching on my XR and their Wraith. I'm pretty new to Crawlers, I'm getting back into the RC Game after being away for many years. Rob was kind enough to lend a much needed hand with the wiring. We got it up and running in no time! Unfortunately, there was some minor carnage... the front link mount post wasn't tightened down enough (I guess I forgot to lock-tight those screws) Anyways, in the 10 minutes of run time on my small garage course, the XR performed really well. Tomorrow I'm gonna tear down the front axle and fix that link mount.

Thanks again Krawler Konceptz for all the help today. Rob, I can't wait until that Berg is in one piece.

Build details to follow.

On to some pics for now.

eisman is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 09-17-2011, 06:39 PM   #2
Rock Crawler

OK, Here we go.
This is what makes my XR Different from your's.

Chassis: Underground Crawler's Viper with V2 side panels. Thanks Juan

Axles: XR10 front and rear with all the VP goodies, including top axle halfs. Axial Ti Gear shafts with RC4WD gears front and rear, and Acer bearings to replace all the stockers that weren't covered with the ones that came with the Vanquish parts. Knuckle weights and a Rowdy Racing 'front lip mount' up front.

Wheels/Tires: DH2s on both ends for now. Sedonas, and proline single stage memory foam. Might switch things up as time goes on.

Shocks: Big Bores with Revo ends on the caps. JeepinDoug mini-t spring cups, with losi mini springs for now.

Links: Chaotic Crawler lowers for the BJV4. Lunsford 3/16" straight uppers. Revo ends on all links except for two Jatos on the rear uppers. DLux link slider on the lowers.

Steering: Chaotic Ti straight link, Hitec 7950 flipped with lunsford Ti turnbuckle and Revo draglink. Golden Horizon HD servo horn and servo mount for the 'non VP' side of the servo.

Electronics: Dual Mamba Micro Pros, CCBEC, Br00d 35 Turn big wire 2 magnet monsters, 3s Lipos from maxamps, and a 4PL to control everything.
(A big thanks to Harley for the setup vids. I had this thing dialed in in just minutes)

And of course, Skinz by Krawler Konceptz. They are simply the best in the biz.

Wheel Base is bang on at just a hair under 12.5" when compressed, but she's a heavy pig. RTR weight is 6lb 4oz. I think once the DH2s go away the weight will be a bit more reasonable.

Thanks for looking.

Last edited by eisman; 09-25-2011 at 12:54 PM.
Old 09-17-2011, 06:39 PM   #3
Rock Crawler

Added video to page three.

Last edited by eisman; 10-15-2011 at 09:07 PM. Reason: Added video
Old 09-17-2011, 06:51 PM   #4
I wanna be Dave

Nice Viper man
I'm diggin the color combo.
Jeepkid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2011, 06:54 PM   #5
Rock Crawler

Truck looks great, man.
losiking1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2011, 07:01 PM   #6
I wanna be Dave

Nice! That shirt is funny!
JeremyH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2011, 07:20 PM   #7
Rock Crawler

Thanks guys I'm gonna get some better pics up tomorrow. I'm also hoping to get through an entire battery pack without any troubles.
Old 09-17-2011, 07:20 PM   #8
I wanna be Dave

Just got in the door....Today was alot of fun..thanks for the chicken and the black sausage
I am sure Rob will post up a reply later
Krawler Konceptz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2011, 07:27 PM   #9
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Krawler Konceptz View Post
Just got in the door....Today was alot of fun..thanks for the chicken and the black sausage
I am sure Rob will post up a reply later
Glad you guys made it home safe. Today was a blast! Sandy and I are thrilled that you liked the hot black sausage
Old 09-17-2011, 07:32 PM   #10
I wanna be Dave

Had a blast now your junk is built not in pieces Thanx again for the gear for the wraith

Rob
Old 09-18-2011, 05:41 AM   #11
Rock Crawler

Yeah, thanks Rob. It's such a nice feeling to not be looking a a pile of parts and actually getting this thing ready to run. That being said... It's going to be torn down very shortly for the front link mount fix. Stupid rookie mistake, I'm still kicking myself for that one. I'm quickly becoming an expert on repairing XR10 axles though. At least no major damage was done. No problem about those Wraith bits. I'm just glad they fit without any problems.
Old 09-18-2011, 09:37 AM   #12
Rock Crawler

Link mount is fixed.
Old 09-18-2011, 11:18 AM   #13
I wanna be Dave

Rig looks great! What was wrong with the link mount?

Quote:
Originally Posted by eisman View Post

Link mount is fixed.
Rig Rocker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2011, 11:25 AM   #14
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rig Rocker View Post
Rig looks great! What was wrong with the link mount?
Thanks

The two screws inside the link mount that hold the 'link mount post' came loose. It was making the whole front end shake around a bit. That problem is all fixed up now, but one more has shown up... a bit more serious... The rig might be down for a while.
Old 09-18-2011, 11:50 AM   #15
I wanna be Dave

What's the issue now?

Rob
Old 09-18-2011, 12:41 PM   #16
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Krawler Konceptz View Post
What's the issue now?

Rob
I'm going to wait until I've had the chance to speak with the vendor before I make anything public on these forums. The vendor in question is well known for his excellent customer service, so I'm sure we'll be able to figure out a good solution. For all I know, it was totally my fault. I don't want to inadvertantly harm anyone's reputation. That's not what I'm trying to do.

Rob, you know all the details in PM.

I'm sure it'll all work out.
Old 09-18-2011, 09:54 PM   #17
Quarry Creeper

Nice setup and little crawl area
CRAIGB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2011, 10:54 PM   #18
Rock Crawler

rig is looking sweet bro,let us know if you get any gear popping with that setup!
michael is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2011, 11:33 PM   #19
Rock Crawler

Nice rig
rockn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2011, 03:43 PM   #20
Rock Crawler

Thanks guys

So, after many PMs with the expert, I feel safe talking about the latest issue that I had with my XR. I was running through my second ever battery pack when I heard some gear noise. It was definitely clicking and popping like crazy from the front end. I'm running RC4WD gears and a fully VP'd axle btw. I was a little concerned. I stopped the rig right away and picked it up to inspect. The culprit was my front Br00d 35 turn HHK Apocalypse!!! The end bell had come loose! One of the end bell screws was gone and the other was just hanging on by a thread. The gear noise was coming from the pinion dancing around inside the transmission. I pulled the motor to take a better look. Since I'm not an expert, I contacted Eddie and got his advise. He was willing to talk me through the re-assembly, but I decided to pack up the motor and send it to him for his inspection and professional re-assembly.

He has assured me that he'll get everything running 100%. Team Br00d has been a fantastic company to deal with, and Eddie definitely stands behind his product.

I'm sure that the cause of this latest carnage stemmed from the loose link mount... Stupid rookie mistake.

Oh well, lessons learned for me... My advise for everyone else though is don't forget to check your end bell screws. When they come loose, it sucks balls.

More to follow, it should be a couple weeks before I get the motor back. Sorry, no pics of all this.

Hopefully when I get this thing back together, there aren't any more problems.

Oh, and for Michael, who asked about gear popping... apart from my motor issue, this thing is a beast! The gears are super smooth.

Last edited by eisman; 09-19-2011 at 03:45 PM.