Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler Brand Specific Tech > Heritage Crawlers > Axial XR10

Notices

Thread: PFC FNG's XR10 "Hammer Down"

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-02-2012, 08:29 PM   #1
Pebble Pounder

Default PFC FNG's XR10 "Hammer Down"

I recently got bit by the crawler bug I acquired a Losi Night Crawler for my mom by trading one of my nitro rc's, as I wanted to get her into something (she isnt very mobile at her age) that would get her out of the house as well as something we could do together now that the whole family has gotten older. After redoing the wiring (previous owner left a rats nest and an ESC kinda jammed into the front links, regreasing the worm gears (interesting technical adventure) and a fair bit of "testing" it is now ready to rock trouble free and she loves it. Problem is, it's her's . So after reading this forum for the last couple of weeks, as well as talking to a couple of local crawlers that moonlight as LHS employees, here is the plan:

XR10 kit
DX3C (can get a nearly new for cheap from a friend)
Either single or dual Axial AE-2 ESCs *If dual also a wantasummit from losikid
Axial 27T motors
Pro Line Hammers

Upgrading parts as I break them, and possibly taking a shot at bending my own links. I have an email out to axial asking if a single AE-2 esc can handle 2 27Ts, if they cant I will run dual escs. I chose the AE-2 because I want to support axial, as well as have the adjustability that the castle link appears to provide. The drag brake will come in handy too. I know 27T motors may be a little fast, but I plan on this build being more of a rock racer type rig than a actual comp crawler (and it takes a little adjustment slowing down from a Traxxas 3.3 Jato ). I also had an email out and received a reply from Overkill RC about the wantasummit, they stated it will work with a DX3C, but as it has a 3 position switch for the 3rd channel, it will be a glorified dig that allows me to run two escs. I'm cool with that. I have read through the bearing and bushing mods, but plan on trying my luck stock to start. At least until I have an excuse to start buying Vanquish hardware... Love the site, love the people, and love the tech I have found here thus far. Comments, criticisms and suggestions are welcome.

Last edited by PFC FNG; 05-11-2012 at 07:11 PM.
PFC FNG is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 04-03-2012, 03:35 PM   #2

Default Re: 1st and a half crawler build: PFC FNG's XR10

Good luck with your build! I wanna know how it runs.
CrookByDaBook4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2012, 03:55 PM   #3
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by PFC FNG View Post

Upgrading parts as I break them...
I know 27T motors may be a little fast...
27T might be a bit much. The stock steel gears in an XR10 are strong, but they can be shredded in the right situation, especially with a hot motor.
Mine are still holding up well but I've only got 45T motors.

Anyways, I love my XR10 and I wish you the best with yours.
zodiaci is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2012, 05:27 PM   #4
Pebble Pounder

Update: I received a reply from Andrew O'Bannon at Axial and the AE-2 can handle 2 27Ts or 2 higher turn motors. He advised against running dual Axial 20T motors with a single esc. I wasn't actively considering it, but I asked in case I decided to get a little crazy down the road. Now my Axial 27T motors are backordered, as is my AE-2 ESC. My DX3C is backordered. And my lhs is out of stock on the XR10 kits. Do you ever feel like sometimes you just cant win? lol. My lhs is "expecting" (not holding my breath) to get more kits in stock tomorrow or Friday, and I am waiting to hear if they can acquire the pro line hammers for me.

Crook, thanks for the luck and I will be updating this thread as I go along. I'll let you know how it runs.

Zodiac, I don't expect the stock gears to last long, but I like wrenching on my rc's as much as running them. It will give me a good excuse to upgrade the gears. Hopefully I will love the finished product as much if not more as you love yours.
Old 04-04-2012, 05:32 PM   #5
Rock Crawler

Cough cough... talk to RPP... cough, if anyone, Corey might be able to help you out... Cough

I haven't checked, but good luck getting your parts.
eisman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2012, 07:35 PM   #6
Pebble Pounder

Update 4/22:

Finished assembly of the chassis and painted the body. Sourced a steering servo out of my spare parts bin. Same for a Traxxxas TQ tx/rx. Given work slowing down (and being paid on commission), my general lack of patience, as well as the result of a limited amount of R&D I have decided to continue the build with those sourced parts, and plan on a RC4WD Outcry dual motor esc as it will provide basic locomotion, as well as a pair of 55T motors from RC4WD as well as they are fairly cheap. Having found the Pro Line Hammers to be discontinued, and the Flat Irons being temporarily unavailable, I have begin to consider the Axial Ripsaw 2.2s as well as the RC4WD Rock Stompers. Any experience or alternate suggestions? I can acquire either of those for around $15 a pair.

Pics, because it DID happen

Old 04-22-2012, 08:33 PM   #7
Rock Crawler

I would try to get some rovers or sedonas if you could, they are a lot better than the tire choices you gave and cost about the same.
Krawler23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2012, 09:46 PM   #8
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Krawler23 View Post
I would try to get some rovers or sedonas if you could, they are a lot better than the tire choices you gave and cost about the same.

X2
mammoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2012, 04:19 AM   #9
Pebble Pounder

I have read a little about them on this forum, but how well do they hold up on a variety of rock? I primarily use a rock course at one of the lhs' in my area, and their course is a little of everything including some driftwood. Other than that I usually crawl either on crushed concrete or smooth/slick stone.
Old 04-23-2012, 04:44 AM   #10
Rock Crawler

Looking good so far! Yep, I'd try some Rovers or Sedonas for sure, they are a general all around tire that will serve you well.
OKJeepin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2012, 06:27 AM   #11
Pebble Pounder

Update 5/6

While researching and shopping around for some Rovers, I discovered TCS Crawlers had Pro Line Hammers in stock. Once I found that they also had Axial 55T motors and were a vendor on this forum that sealed the deal. Ordered the motors and tires Thursday morning (5/3), parts where in my mailbox yesterday (5/5) and installed the same evening.

Hopefully in the next week or two I can get an esc and some battery packs so I can hit the rocks.
Old 05-11-2012, 07:24 PM   #12
Pebble Pounder

Default Re: PFC FNG's XR10 "Hammer Down"

Update 5/11

Now we are rolling

Driven into, and out of this shot.
Build specs at the moment are:
XR10 Kit - Stock
Axial 55T motors
Savox SC - 0251MG Servo
Dynamite ECX1070 ESC
Hyperion 1300mah 2 cell lipo
CC BEC
Pro Line Hammer 2.2 tires
Traxxas 2.4 RX/TX

I absolutely love the way this thing crawls. I still have some suspension tuning to get done, hopefully tomorrow at the LHS' rock course. So far I plan on getting an axle battery mount, and an alternative to the stock electronics plate as I don't care for the stock equipment. Amazingly, the dynamite esc (comes stock on the ecx short course truck) seems to be holding up just fine. No bells or whistles, but for $25 it got me rolling just fine. When I toast it I am considering a pair of sidewinders. As well as one of Losikid's GT3Cs. So between the name of the tires, the sledge pictogram on the tires, and my driving style, I have taken to calling this one Hammer Down What do you guys think?
Old 05-14-2012, 06:59 PM   #13
Pebble Pounder

Update 5/14

Carnage report:
Not really carnage per se, but my Savox stripped the splines on the plastic servo horn. But that was it. It crawls great. ESC stayed cool to the touch the whole time. That surprised me a little bit. Thought for sure that I would have cooked it. The motors got a little warm here and there. Servo warmed up a fair bit, but it didnt fail. I am considering changing up the links, as I noticed the rears would hang up here and there. I may also put more wheel weights in the front, as well as change up the foams. I have regular pro line foams that were included with my Hammers. I want something softer.

My new Robotronics servo horn, I highly doubt that I will strip this one.

My XR10, and my Mom's Nightcrawler. I drove into and out of the shot. My mom, did neither.

What do you think guys?
Old 05-14-2012, 07:04 PM   #14
Rock Crawler

I think it's cool that your mom has a crawler... That's a wicked place to crawl too.
eisman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2012, 04:26 AM   #15
Pebble Pounder

Not to dis the hammer tires but I found them to be pretty lame compared to Rovers, Chisels, rock Grabbers. You could change the name to Rover Down or Chisel down
Jstall7543 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2012, 05:41 PM   #16
Pebble Pounder

Thanks Eisman, we even tried to get my younger brother out there with us but we didnt have any luck. I like the course, as most of the rocks are loose and they dont mind if you rearrange them to your liking. Usually someone has changed it up once a week or so. Keeps things interesting.

Jstall543, I considered the chisels and didn't care for the look. Rovers would have cost me more. I do plan on trying the Ottsix Voodoo tires when they are available for sale, but in the meantime I am content with the hammers.
Old 06-01-2012, 10:07 PM   #17
Pebble Pounder

Update 6/1
The suspension tuning continues, I am starting to doubt if it will ever end. Took a shot at making my own rear links, the result was functional. I will certainly be doing them again, I need to refine my bending technique so I don't crack them at the bends. The inner is all thread, the outer is 1/4" aluminum tubing as that is the smallest diameter the bender I have can handle. I wasnt feeling creative enough to rig up a smaller tubing bender. I found some nitro fuel tubing that was the perfect size to run the threaded rod through, then to slide the whole thing into the aluminum tubing. Keeps everything from shifting around, I tried it to keep the threaded rod centered in the tubing for the rod ends. It mostly worked. Testing on the rock pile out back shortly resulting in one of the cracks I inflicted spreading and effectively seperating the tubing at one of the bends. But the joints are tight against one another and the edge will only catch in reverse so I will continue to run them for further testing.

I plan on going up to Larry's tomorrow. My Mom wants to run her Nightcrawler, and I still haven't gotten around to tuning the foams on mine. Maybe that will get done, but probably not

Last edited by PFC FNG; 06-01-2012 at 10:09 PM.
Old 06-02-2012, 08:26 PM   #18
Pebble Pounder

6/2/12

My DIY rear links lasted two packs at the LHS rock course. I crawled myself in to a bind, and when I tried to throttle out the links bent. More than a little irritating as I liked the extra bit of clearance rear of the chassis. I will be making a new set, this time I plan on using all thread, sleeved with 3/16" aluminum tubing, sleeved with 1/4" tubing. Should that fail I think I will either switch to stainless steel tubing or finally break down and buy a die set to use aluminum rod.

After re installing the stock rear links, I decided to pick up some pro line memory foams for the front tires. I find I prefer them to the included pro line foams on the front. I havent decided if I want to change up the rear. I also picked up a "Chrome" 2 cell 1300mah lipo to run while my Hyperion was charging. I havent been able to dig up much info on them, but the heli and plane guys seem to like them. After I run it a bit more I may review it further, but for now it fits the stock XR10 chassis, powers my crawler for 15 - 20 minutes, and cost less than $15.
Old 06-02-2012, 08:39 PM   #19
RCC Addict

I usr 8/32" all thread and 1/4" alum tubing. I haven't had one fail yet in my basher or scx10. I have delrin in my xr but goona switch to titanium. Give it try you should have better results. O and bend them so you can use revo road ends.
mammoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2012, 07:39 PM   #20
Pebble Pounder

Mammoth I am pretty sure that is what I used for mine. Guess I am harder on my crawler than I thought. I have been running Jato rod ends on mine as I had some laying around. Next time I go to the LHS for parts I will grab some revo ones.

I made my new links using the 3/16" and 1/4" tubing. This time they held up, even with me purposely driving into and throttling out of binds. I had no idea my stock uppers could flex so much at one point my rear axle must have rotated at least 45 degrees. I should have got a picture If these links continue to hold up, I will have to bend a similar set for the front. The big thing about this crawler that is starting to irritate me is the battery placement. Makes swapping out battery packs a pain in the posterior. I just haven't made up my mind as to whether I want to look into a Rowdy Racing axle mount or an extended electronics tray so I can mount the battery with the electronics all on the tray and eliminate the battery tray completely. Any suggestions? Or would it be a better idea to change chassis altogether? The Rockshow looks pretty sweet. And I like the simplicity of RCP's progress chassis.

PFC FNG's XR10 "Hammer Down" - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Considering XR10 purchase for 1st time crawler: How's this setup? stephpar Axial XR10 23 01-12-2011 04:56 PM
1st crawler build from parts I've collected. mr_manny General Crawlers 30 08-23-2008 09:54 PM
half bronco half tuber build crawler king 17 HPI Wheely King 0 01-21-2008 02:11 PM
1st tlt crawler build eyerace Newbie General 5 08-06-2006 08:51 PM
1st Crawler build ever aussie_N_B Tamiya Txt-1 and Juggernaut 3 07-04-2006 02:15 AM