Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler Brand Specific Tech > Heritage Crawlers > Axial XR10

Notices

Thread: Best XR10 shock setup?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-13-2012, 08:00 AM   #21
Rock Crawler

Default Re: Best XR10 shock setup?

I am liking the stock shocks with losi golds and 30wt using the delrin pistons.

I've tried quite a few of the 'better' shocks out there such as the Evaders and Losi's and the Axials are just as smooth or smoother.

However, the newest thing in crawler shock tech is to use these smaller bodied shocks such as scaler shocks like the SCX ones. I can see the weight benefits are definatly there.
Hildy is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 05-15-2012, 04:09 PM   #22
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by 95geo View Post
I'm going through this dilemma right now... I have big bores on it right now but I would like to be able to run more springs other than the standard mini t which have too much preload in the initial installed position. I bought a set of the pro line scaler shocks but the >3mm shaft means I have to get into SAE in addition to the 99.9% metric fasteners I run and getting a rod end mixed up between the two could ruin your day if it fails. The scaler shocks have some weird ass super fine thread on the body which is something like an m10x0.5 if it were to exist. I understand that if you have a lathe you can cut any thread you want but that isn't the point. Ease of modification and practical/functional design are the most important features

I would like to see a shock with these features-
10mm body
Threaded body for infinite preload and spring choice
Delrin and/or aluminum body and cap
Uses o-rings to seal
Standard thread sizes
All metric
Ti shaft
Common seals or borrowed from another shock.
Readily available parts
Rod end capability on both ends
3.25" c-c up to 4.0" c-c adjustment with rod ends only.

The one factor I haven't figured out yet is the reservoir. Emulsion shocks suck and so do bladders that swell and need replacing every time you open up the shock, like the big bores... I have 3 sets of new bladders because as soon as you use them, they are garbage. If I can figure out how to address the bladder as effectively as the rest of the shock, I'll give a company a full 3d model if they will make them.

I have a set of SCX shocks on order so once I can compare the three, I'm going to start narrowing down my ideas and hopefully get a quality shock in the end.

Anyone have thoughts?
I've had shocks with 5 year old bladders be just fine, no tearing or swelling. I prefer emulsion on my crawlers. If you switch to emulsion thicker fluid may be required to get the same feel or a similar feel as a bladder build. I have found that how i build them has more to do with the components. I spent 6hrs on my xr shocks to get them perfect with equal rebound and feel. Its a art. Based on the shocks you describe you want built you probably know more about them than I do. I wish we could get away from the o-ring seals someday but until then green slime works good!
Jstall7543 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2015, 07:29 PM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by SINister View Post
x2 3.5 big bores with cap mod. Originally I was gonna try the stock shocks before putting the bb on but they started leaking before I even finished building the truck lol.
Hey guys,

I read this thread and ordered the 3.5 big bore. What oil do you all recommend? I am also wondering about the cap mod...
JebSmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2015, 07:54 PM   #24
RCC Addict

Here's one of the many threads on the shock cap mod.

traxxas big bore shocks ???

Start with 30wt oil and adjust from there. Everyone has their own opinions on shock oil.
Solitaire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2015, 07:24 AM   #25

Thanks, got everything ordered last night. I bought a rig locally, and I have no idea what components are on this thing
JebSmith is offline   Reply With Quote

Best XR10 shock setup? - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Shock setup? morpheus_tn General Crawlers 0 03-01-2012 08:18 PM
Shock Setup? rcjackson0926 Axial XR10 6 12-31-2010 07:15 PM
shock setup? fulltime4x4 Newbie General 3 04-23-2010 11:49 PM
Best shock setup? Flatty Axial AX-10 Scorpion 3 11-02-2008 07:25 PM
shock setup BirdHouse Tamiya Clod Buster 2 08-18-2006 11:23 AM