Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler Brand Specific Tech > Heritage Crawlers > Axial XR10

Notices

Thread: Axle vs. Chassis for Mounting Battery - Opinions?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-12-2012, 08:40 PM   #1
Pebble Pounder

Default Axle vs. Chassis for Mounting Battery - Opinions?

Mounting batteries on the front axle vs. in the chassis. Are there any gains in traction, balance, etc? What works best and why?

Also, is the Rowdy axle mount the best (I know it's a "yes" but just checking)?
zodiaci is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 04-12-2012, 08:56 PM   #2
RCC Addict

Default Re: Axle vs. Chassis for Mounting Battery - Opinions?

Rowdy has the axle mount or the behind the motor mount. Both work well, but the axle one places the battery further forward.

I'm so torn on what actually crawl's better. I think people are just not finding setups that actually work with less sprung mass. Although a lot of people I see finishing towards top at big events I go to, have the battery in chassis. Either way will work well, its just a matter of tuning and drive time.
articzap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2012, 10:47 AM   #3
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by articzap View Post
Rowdy has the axle mount or the behind the motor mount. Both work well, but the axle one places the battery further forward.

I'm so torn on what actually crawl's better. I think people are just not finding setups that actually work with less sprung mass. Although a lot of people I see finishing towards top at big events I go to, have the battery in chassis. Either way will work well, its just a matter of tuning and drive time.
Yeah, you're right, there really is no easy answer. I hope this thread will provide at least a bunch of opinions and real world trials.

I just hope I can keep my hands off of that Rowdy axle mount in the mean time.
Old 04-13-2012, 06:17 PM   #4
Rock Crawler

try both..
i have mine sprung in a viper chassis.
when the truck stretches out on a climb (proportional dig) it lowers down to JUST even with my axle end lower link mounts..
on the axle it stays in the higher position all the time, only REALLY noticeable on sidehilling or off camber climbs when it seemed like it
unweighted the upper or inside front tire.
elsewhere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2012, 06:43 PM   #5
Pebble Pounder

I just moved my battery to the rowdy racing behind the motor battery mount from the chassis. I didn't notice much of a difference. I am running my xr "against the fad" right now as it weighs 6 lbs 11 ounces so my heavy weight may offset any noticeable difference.
73bronco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2012, 07:00 PM   #6
MODERATOR™

Quote:
Originally Posted by zodiaci View Post
Yeah, you're right, there really is no easy answer. I hope this thread will provide at least a bunch of opinions and real world trials.
Threads like these have been providing opinions and real world trials since about 2004 when we all used Clod Busters.

There's lots of info on RCC. Dig.
EeePee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2012, 07:12 PM   #7
Rock Crawler

The reason I don't like the battery out on the axle is it takes such a beating. I moved mine into the chassis and switched to a smaller battery and I didn't notice any difference......Other than the battery is not out front and in the way most of the time. Try it either way and see how you like it.
BLKXJ 96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2012, 07:45 PM   #8
Rock Crawler

Rowdy offers 4 solutions of battery mounting and I pretty think all 4 present advantages and drawbacks. The flat one over the axle, lightweight but no battery protection, the next two, better protection but somewhat bulkier that can difficult some climbing but add weight on the axle, the last behind the motor ; offering surely another biasing, protecting battery, prone to get ripped a lot and probably less easier to plug lipos...
I'm just coming back from a session with my semi-protecting battery mount (axle) and must recognize it sometimes acts like a front bumper. My rig actually fell between two rocks but didn't suffer, the battery mount saving lipo and supporting the fall. It got distorted a bit but the alu conception made it easy to repair .
CrawlrKing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2012, 08:05 PM   #9

Good thread always great to get other peoples opinions on stuff.
jdobb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2012, 06:25 AM   #10
RCC Addict

I used to keep the battery on the links but tried it on the axle which is where they live now. I found that the less weight on top has really helped the sidehilling and climbing being less tippy.

I'm using Rowdy's topless mount and made a battery shield out of Lexan which gets strapped down on the top of the battery by the velcro strap.

I'm also using the very small Hobbyking 350mah 3S packs, however, I also have 850mah packs to use if I want to add an ounce over the axle. (the same shield works with the larger pack.
AreCee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2012, 08:57 AM   #11
RCC Addict

I ran mine on the Rowdy racing topless mount on my Viper chassis. When I recently changed to the T1e SS I switched to the stock location which is the chassis. I really like the feel of the chassis mounted vs the axle mounted. With the VIper it was heavier and not as smooth. Having the extra weight up front helped. Now that I run knuckle weights an a lighter rig. I prefer the weight in the chassis.

Keep tuning and seeing what works for you.
xgerstandtx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2012, 10:12 AM   #12
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdobb View Post
Good thread always great to get other peoples opinions on stuff.
^^^ I agree completely...

Quote:
Originally Posted by EeePee View Post
Threads like these have been providing opinions and real world trials since about 2004 when we all used Clod Busters.

There's lots of info on RCC. Dig.
^^^...but apparently I'm supposed to keep my mouth shut and not talk to anyone because everything has already been said.
Yeah, completely asinine!
Old 04-14-2012, 11:06 AM   #13
Rock Crawler

I run a low 5 lb rig and ive used both locations with no noticeable difference between the two... maybe on a 4 lb rig one might notice a difference...
GEARSCIENCE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2012, 06:05 PM   #14
Custom Carbon Fiber

I mounted mine behind the motor with electronics on the axle but didn't like it.

Bias was to far back.

I moved the battery back up on the axle and electronics on Rowdys motor plate.

Bias was back forward and I felt the improvement on climbs.

My opinion your better weight bias with it on the axle. More weight forward of the motor and on the actual axle.

Sent from my HERO200 using Tapatalk
Robbob is offline   Reply With Quote

Axle vs. Chassis for Mounting Battery - Opinions? - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Mounting the battery on the fron axle downhiller6325 Team Losi Comp Crawler 8 02-24-2012 11:29 PM
Mounting battery onto SCX10 chassis SwampDawg Axial SCX-10 3 03-16-2009 07:36 PM
mounting battery to axle speedemall Electronics 8 09-12-2008 06:35 AM
Battery Opinions... mschaffer66 Electronics 3 05-03-2006 08:40 PM
Opinions on this battery pack crawlmaxx Electronics 17 10-16-2005 06:14 PM