Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler Brand Specific Tech > Heritage Crawlers > Axial XR10

Notices

Thread: HighER Leverage Steering without the Long Horn

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-12-2012, 11:11 PM   #1
Rock Stacker

Default HighER Leverage Steering without the Long Horn

I'm crazy tired right now, but figured I'd punch this in real quick in case someone as slow as I am wants more leverage in their steering with full throw, but wants to keep a shorter servo horn.

I picked up the Axial high-leverage steering arm (maybe that's what it's called, something like that) and then proceeded to lose my mind combining and shaving rod ends, using different length turnbuckles, alternating from the shorter horn to the longer horn.

I tested the high leverage arm with a long servo horn, but the thing was like a grapple hook in the front so I knew it was coming off after a couple hours of watching it hang up in every crevice.

I like the idea of helping the servo out with a little more leverage to steer the wheels, but the long servo horn...I'm not a fan.

Here's what I did. Not that this is interesting, but maybe it helps someone.

I put the stock steering arm on top of the high leverage one, measured 10mm difference between the stock steering link hole and the one on the high leverage. Split the difference, 5mm, and drilled an 1/8" hole, which basically tucked it right into the end of one of the cavities machined out of the high leverage arm.

I used one of Axial's 3x35mm turnbuckles and two of the longest/beefiest straight rod ends from the XR parts tree (the ones I've never found a use for until now), set the eye-to-eye at around 56mm.

Since the hole I drilled on the high-leverage arm puts it in a thinner portion of the metal (in the channel), I put one of those AXA1070 washers above the channel for the metal ball of the rod end to sit on (so it doesn't slip down into the channel).

I'm still able to use the Robotronic short horn and get full throw with a higher amount of leverage to reduce servo strain more than with stock arm and less than with pre-drilled hole on high leverage arm. A compromise I'm willing to make since it doesn't require the long horn/grapple hook.

As usual, an easy solution sitting in front of me. Just took me a couple hours to discover it.

Sorry, I didn't take any photos, but I think if you have the two steering arms in your hand, this might make sense. I'm sure there are several other ways to do this, but I used what I had on-hand and it accomplished what I set out to do.

Maybe it helps someone else out there.

Goodnight.
Vertigo is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links

HighER Leverage Steering without the Long Horn - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Integy long servo arm/horn....caution Charlie-III General Crawlers 2 06-12-2011 04:39 PM
AX30788 Axial XR10 High Leverage Steering Arm Matt.k Axial XR10 2 03-01-2011 06:03 PM
steering horn help xjeep Axial AX-10 Scorpion 7 06-14-2009 05:39 AM
steering servo horn camh Newbie General 2 03-14-2009 08:24 PM
anyone ever move there fnt steering rod higher on there AX10? mr_manny Axial AX-10 Scorpion 5 06-08-2008 10:59 PM