Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler Brand Specific Tech > Heritage Crawlers > Axial XR10

Notices

Thread: Rear Axle Pop

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-16-2012, 10:39 AM   #1
I wanna be Dave

Default Rear Axle Pop

So I have had two XR10 and both have had this issue with the gears not engaging and popping in the rear.

Both have had light weight Axial gears.

I have seen some people doing a shim or some using CA glue?

What have people found to fix are rear axle issue?

Thanks
sally1800 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 04-16-2012, 10:49 AM   #2
RCC Addict

Default Re: Rear Axle Pop

I added some ca glue to the lower half of the housing where the spool's bearing race sits. While it was wet, I added a strip of paper to soak ip the ca and give it a more uniform height. The popping went away, but it should be mentioned that I swapped to a new set of rc4wd gears(the old rc4wd gears were a bit knife edged after over a year of use), and swapped in a new housing at the same time.
Did your rear gears start popping immediately after you installed them? Mine were fine until I had about 11 months of use on them. Then the pop came. No teeth were chipped, but I think the knife edge effect on an old gear might transfer more force radially than the angles of a new gear set. KInda push the gears apart more than an old housing can handle.

Last edited by shelljeep; 04-16-2012 at 10:49 AM. Reason: Spelling
shelljeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2012, 11:05 AM   #3
Rock Crawler

I do it this way:

I shave alittle bit of the lower Axle half ( top side). so you can tighten the screw more and there is no more play.

Its easier than glue in some paper
racer_zh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2012, 11:07 AM   #4
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by shelljeep View Post
I added some ca glue to the lower half of the housing where the spool's bearing race sits. While it was wet, I added a strip of paper to soak ip the ca and give it a more uniform height. The popping went away, but it should be mentioned that I swapped to a new set of rc4wd gears(the old rc4wd gears were a bit knife edged after over a year of use), and swapped in a new housing at the same time.
Did your rear gears start popping immediately after you installed them? Mine were fine until I had about 11 months of use on them. Then the pop came. No teeth were chipped, but I think the knife edge effect on an old gear might transfer more force radially than the angles of a new gear set. KInda push the gears apart more than an old housing can handle.
Mine both happen right away.

Thanks maybe the ca and paper is the ticket. Leave the paper in right?
Old 04-16-2012, 12:00 PM   #5
RCC Addict

Yeah, it sponges the glue and hardens up.
I've read that there is enough variation in the housings that some need shimming like this but some don't. Either way, I can see how use woul flex it enough to loosen tolerances.
Old 04-16-2012, 12:09 PM   #6
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Yeah, it sponges the glue and hardens up.
I've read that there is enough variation in the housings that some need shimming like this but some don't. Either way, I can see how use woul flex it enough to loosen tolerances.
Problem I see is as that bearing spins would you think the CA and harden paper would start to break down. Maybe get the gears messy?
Old 04-16-2012, 12:13 PM   #7
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by racer_zh View Post
I do it this way:

I shave alittle bit of the lower Axle half ( top side). so you can tighten the screw more and there is no more play.

Its easier than glue in some paper
I do both, although I just do a bead of ca, spread it evenly with a toothpick and let it dry. No pops out of my gears with 30t Team Broods.
ROWDY RACING is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2012, 12:14 PM   #8
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by saydee1800 View Post
Problem I see is as that bearing spins would you think the CA and harden paper would start to break down. Maybe get the gears messy?
Honest here. I haven't taken mine apart yet to see. Have you inspected yours since the fix, RR?
Old 04-16-2012, 12:17 PM   #9
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Honest here. I haven't taken mine apart yet to see. Have you inspected yours since the fix, RR?
I have had mine apart and not noticed any ill effects. Again no paper just ca.
Old 04-16-2012, 12:18 PM   #10
Pebble Pounder

personally i wouldnt even mess with ca glue in there.
i just used aluminum foil and its been doing great. mine took about 6 pieces.
you can dial it in perfect by throwing a few pieces in there and screwing the axle together. make sure the upper link mount is off. and you can take a small piece of aluminum foil and slide it in where the upper part of the spool bearing meets the upper seating surface of the axle. if there is slack in it just simply add more foil. add more and do trail and error until you have it perfect. everyone says they just throw a fat layer of ca glue on it. i think thats a stupid idea,it could either be to much or not enough. theres no way of getting it 100% perfect where it needs to be unless you do it this way.
ive been running mine for probably 60 packs and have never had a problem. with 45t broods and 3 cell
norcrawler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2012, 12:19 PM   #11
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by norcrawler View Post
personally i wouldnt even mess with ca glue in there.
i just used aluminum foil and its been doing great. mine took about 6 pieces.
you can dial it in perfect by throwing a few pieces in there and screwing the axle together. make sure the upper link mount is off. and you can take a small piece of aluminum foil and slide it in where the upper part of the spool bearing meets the upper seating surface of the axle. if there is slack in it just simply add more foil. add more and do trail and error until you have it perfect. everyone says they just throw a fat layer of ca glue on it. i think thats a stupid idea,it could either be to much or not enough. theres no way of getting it 100% perfect where it needs to be unless you do it this way.
ive been running mine for probably 60 packs and have never had a problem. with 45t broods and 3 cell
I use ca because it stays where I put it and I dont have to worry about it going anywhere. Does the foil flatten over time and need reshimming?
Old 04-16-2012, 12:32 PM   #12
Pebble Pounder

negative. i guess what ever works gets the job done. mine has been holding up great though
on a side note, i think this should be stickied. there are alot of threads on this!
norcrawler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2012, 12:45 PM   #13
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by norcrawler View Post
negative. i guess what ever works gets the job done. mine has been holding up great though
on a side note, i think this should be stickied. there are alot of threads on this!
really I could not find one. I have seen one guy use CA and paper and another with .002 shim. that;'s it.

Thanks for every ones feedback on this issue.
Old 04-16-2012, 12:47 PM   #14
Pebble Pounder

CA will work but it's somewhat crude. Your best bet is to get some brass or stainless steel shim stock (about .005 or .010) and cut some shims. This will ensure that the bearings are evenly spaced upward and the gears are meshing correctly. You'll have to start thin and work your way up until the gears feel too tight, then back off.
zodiaci is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2012, 12:59 PM   #15
TSK
Shelf queen

Look for Mark Reel's build. Had had a simple solution that should be the most secure way to remedy this problem assuming you have a plastic rear axle
Housing

**EDIT**

Found it for you because I'm such a swell guy.

Mark Reel's XR10 Build 11th place at nats

Last edited by TSK; 04-16-2012 at 01:06 PM.
TSK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2012, 02:41 PM   #16
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheSCorpionKing View Post
Look for Mark Reel's build. Had had a simple solution that should be the most secure way to remedy this problem assuming you have a plastic rear axle
Housing

**EDIT**

Thanks I was searching the thread you bet me to it.

Look like one screw all the way threw tightens the axle case?
Old 04-16-2012, 02:51 PM   #17
Custom Carbon Fiber

Quote:
Originally Posted by saydee1800 View Post
Thanks I was searching the thread you bet me to it.

Look like one screw all the way threw tightens the axle case?
Two ..... look at the pictures
Robbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2012, 03:09 PM   #18
TSK
Shelf queen

2. One on each side of the spool gear.
TSK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2012, 03:18 PM   #19
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheSCorpionKing View Post
Housing

**EDIT**

Mark built my axles for me and it works awesome to have the 2 screws. Not one problem with about 100 packs through it.

Sent from my LG-P509 using Tapatalk 2
gerr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2012, 06:44 PM   #20
RCC Addict

Yep, the two screw mod is the way to go. The one that goes all the way through the three pieces should be a running change to the kit. Way too easy, and obvious.

Last edited by Manning; 04-16-2012 at 07:58 PM.
Manning is offline   Reply With Quote

Rear Axle Pop - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
RC Axle Master Axial AX10/SCX10 Rear Straight Axle Kits LetsHandleit Axles, Trannys, T-case 41 06-24-2012 06:57 PM
rear straight axle lock out's for tamiya tundra highlift axle tundrafan01 General Scale Talk 9 05-19-2011 01:30 AM
Rear steer lockout so you can still mount stuff on rear axle bill400ex Duratrax Cliff Climber 9 02-16-2010 07:49 PM